SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-4-2011 at 09:50 AM
Pep talks!

Hi everyone! Someone mentioned pep talks in the Help and Support section and that a thread where all us July novelists can write our own peppy messages and share them might be fun! So, here's the thread and here's my first offering. Everyone else is invited to add their own words of encouragement to this thread. :)

Now for a friendly reminder: yes, we really do all know how to write!

How do I know this? Well:
1) we've done it in previous months and years
2) We have words on paper, screen or whatever we use for writing
3) our PPTs don't just have "dkdrefaerg sdfa fdp;arga dfadfg af asf;garg", they have actual words :P
4) we look at things around us and start coming up with story ideas...

I'm sure there's more, so feel free to contribute your own...

Anyway, the point of all that was that we are writers! We have ideas and characters buzzing around out heads, leaning against the wall behind us and trying to read ahead in their plots even though we know they'll probably kill us when they find out what's coming up. We laugh at grammar jokes. We love books and the people who wrote them are our heroes. There's a book or an author somewhere (probably in your house) that you pick up and think "Yeah, I want to do stuff like this". That's our destiny. We're writers and we're going to write stuff.

It doesn't matter what is is or whether we could ever show it to our families or indeed anyone else in the world. It's our stuff, our words - and we love it!

So, go and cuddle a book by your hero. Share something you've written. Laugh at some writing-related jokes. Sit back and remember that we write because we're totally, hopelessly addicted to these wonderful things called stories. Glare at the imaginary guy leaning over your shoulder wondering if what you're writing has anything to do with him...

Writing is fun. It's a wonderful, glorious adventure through fire, fog, tears of pain and misery, epic battles, tragic deaths... and yes, all these will appear in your courtroom drama with a feline stenographer who'd rather lick herself than actually take notes of the proceedings.

Have fun with the rest of July, everyone!

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
Sister_Heartless
JulNo Member

Mood: Panicked (really behind in writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Fate's Slave

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 07:47 PM

I know I could use a pep talk right about now. I'm approximately 5000 words behind. Work has been keeping me way too busy, and I'm starting to hit some writer's blocks. *facepalm* Anyone care to be my personal cheerleader? :-/

SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-8-2011 at 09:18 AM

How about a 'motivating fellow writers with virtual weapons' type of thread? I'm always ready with my trusty rubber chicken...

His name is Leroy, by the way. He says hi.

- Chuck Wendig
Sister_Heartless
JulNo Member

Mood: Panicked (really behind in writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Fate's Slave

[*] posted on 7-10-2011 at 04:23 AM

I like the sound of that. I have my banana peels and Koopa shells on hand, ready to go. Hello to Leroy, by the way.

mandy30
JulNo Writer

Mood: Tired, but can't...stop....writing!
JulNoWriMo Title: The Shepherdess Princess

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 09:54 PM

I'm about 14,000 words behind, but that's not what's bothering me right now. I know it's not writer's block because I've been productive over the last few days. It has to do with grief. I've lost several friends, and some family members within months of each other recently and it's hitting me hard today. I want to write, but my heart is really aching. Can anybody offer me a pep talk? One is very much needed. Thanks!

My writing blog: Gethsemane's Garden Paradise

http://mandysgethsemane.blogspot.com

My Lulu Storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1002159

My friend's Storefront, which has the collaborated book "A Candlelit World": http://stores.lulu.com/sarakaybooks

"And by the way, everything is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt."

-Sylvia Plath

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/wQtYf8G/]

[/url]
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 10:42 PM

Hello again! I don't know how encouraging this is really going to be. I think some of those people who've already won should be sharing their secrets and giving out friendly doses of optimism. I'm the one who's here, though, so here's my attempt at a week 2 pep talk:

Every dreamer pays a price. But so does everyone who fears to dream.
- Holly Lisle

It's the end of week two, and a lot of us are going to be feeling like those dreams are pretty darn expensive right now. Real life is demanding our attention, or other ideas are distracting us from the one that we've committed to writing 50,000 words on this month.

Yes - 50,000 words. That's what we're trying to achieve this month. "Why?" you might ask. "What's the good of this 50,000 words of fiction?"

Well, that all depends. If you finish the story in 50,000 words, then JulNo will give you an awesome little completed manuscript. If you're more ambitious and you decided to write a longer story this month, then you'll have a bigger finished manuscript.

Whether or not you finish something - JulNo, your story or any personal goals - you'll end up with something amazing at the end of this month. You'll have a whole stack of words you didn't have before. That's worthwhile even if it's 500 extra words.

Go and do it now. Write 500 extra words. It shouldn't take you long - this month, 500 words amounts to about 30 minutes of work for me. If you're on the internet right now, chances are you've got 30 spare minutes. Or maybe you've only got 15 minutes. That's okay - 250 words now and another 250 next time you've got 15 minutes.

Basically, go and dream... and make sure you're writing it down as it happens! :)

- Chuck Wendig
mandy30
JulNo Writer

Mood: Tired, but can't...stop....writing!
JulNoWriMo Title: The Shepherdess Princess

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 04:13 AM

I actually became cheered up by a video a fellow JulNo writer shared in another forum. It's the NaNoWriMo Song! Here's the link if you need some cheering up as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xhs-yodZJcw

EDIT: I was able to write 285 words in no time flat after watching this video! I'm starting to feel productive again. Yay!

[Edited on 7-14-2011 by mandy30]

My writing blog: Gethsemane's Garden Paradise

http://mandysgethsemane.blogspot.com

My Lulu Storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1002159

My friend's Storefront, which has the collaborated book "A Candlelit World": http://stores.lulu.com/sarakaybooks

"And by the way, everything is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt."

-Sylvia Plath

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/wQtYf8G/]

[/url]

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]