Wingman
JulNo Royalty

Mood: "Don't say its a fine morning or i'll shoot ya"-John Wayne
JulNoWriMo Title: The Conspiracy

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 06:08 AM
"We're going back to the future!!!"

Okay we're not going back to the future in the since of the quote from Back to the Future but it got your attention anyways my question deals with the future though.
I've been having trouble coming up with a time period as far as the future how do you decide how far of a span you make a leap when your writing a story based in the future. the idea has been aggravating me for some time since i thought up the story. I mean its not like flying cars Jetsons type of thing its barely a futuristic society at least in the first part the first part takes place in the near future as far as the next or maybe even the following presidential election period. The part that is aggravating me though is the time period the conspirators are based in i thought about the year 3000 but i thought. No its been used so much its almost cliche at this point.
How do you decide a year when you base your stories in the future?

the thing JamesArness.jpg - 88kB

"Talk low Talk slow and don't say too much"-John Wayne

What ever you do don't forget to save Save
SAVE! AND I MEAN IT

Writers Creatures of the night
GailGreen
JulNo Member

Mood: Writing... Writing... Writing...
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mystery of the Mummy

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 07:40 AM

Hmm... That would depend on what I'm writing about. It depends on how different I need the society to be and how much interaction it will/won't have with out current time period. For example, if I wanted the story to be set so far in the furture that archaeologists are uncovering 'ancient artifacts' like computures from twenty-first century 'rubbish pits' then I'll progress the story at least a thousand years. If I want them to have a very limited, (leaving most event to the unknown or guestimate) then I'll go several thousand years. Think time span between ancient Egypt and today...

I think, with your story, you need to determine HOW much the future characters know about the more contemporary time period. Why they are choosing to interfeere with it. And then consider the catastropies in their own time when the muck around with time-travel outside a stabel time loop. Just remember that paradoxes are a problem with time travel.

But to write sci-fi, the DATE of your story needen't be that far in the future. Just look at how fast tech has changed in the past couple of generations. My parents programmed with punch cards in a time only universities had computers. My lap top fits in my hand bag, and my phone has more applicaitons on it than my first PC at uni. ipads have apps designed for preschoolers. That's just in a couple of generations. In the past 20 years computer games have gone fromt he preserve of the geek to the must have christmas toy, and graphics cards have improved astronomically to keep up with the gamers programmes. Take tech, advance it to the next logical conclusion, or a step further and you'll probably only just outpace current development in the next five years (if you're lucky).

Anyway, hope I've helped.

A children's story that can only be enjoyed by children is not a good children's story in the slightest.'
--C. S. Lewis

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]