JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Mystery] Cop nicknames?
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

Mood: The last leg of our journey deep within the psyche...

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 09:08 AM
Cop nicknames?

In this, I'm thinking... "Dirty" Harry Callahan, or how some people call Horatio from CSI: Miami "SCK" [Stone Cold Killer].

The character Harry Thresher is quick to fall into bed with a grieving widow, but just as quick to pull her piece and defend with deadly force. She's reckless, sometimes foolhardy, and has a nasty temper, especially if you get on her bad side. She's an old-school cop in today's world, and doesn't care what gets in her way -- she'll always get the killer, whatever the personal cost.

Any ideas for nicknames, something she probably wouldn't like to be called or would at least roll her eyes and scoff about, if she heard it. I'd like to avoid "Dirty Harry" and the like... as it's obviously been done before. LOL

Help??

It's official. I'm writing a crime/thriller/mystery novel with GLBT elements. So psyched.

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-29-2011 at 04:36 AM

Bitsy.
I don't know why, but that one came to mind. Maybe because of the "reckless/nasty temper/quick to pull her piece".
Harry is also originally a diminutive of Harold. Another diminutive of Harold is Hal, so some might call her that, kind of like a reference to how old-school she is.
I guess I don't have a whole lot of ideas. Women tend to attract a bit different nicknames than men do. Its a cultural bias.
Um. ND Harry, as in "Knock 'em Dead", a double-edged reference there. Or (same reference) Kady, short for KD/"Knock 'em Dead".
Well...Good luck with this. ;)
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 02:15 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I had completely forgotten this thread! I think maybe I can use it to stimulate a little more story out of my JulNo, as it's fading fast into the land of, "So, what didn't I write about yet?" LOL

It's official. I'm writing a crime/thriller/mystery novel with GLBT elements. So psyched.

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 03:25 AM

:D Anytime.
And if you need random incidents to fill space:

crazy chihuahua high on coffee (or just on being an annoying little dog)
exploding toaster
somebody's glasses getting run over by a semi
all info on case being lost because lightning from freak storm takes out a transformer/comp. with info hit by lightning-based fireball (ball lightning, I think)
perp manages to get amusing cartoon strip onto police network, but is virulent virus that takes out the whole network...
monster pothole opens up overnight and eats a tire for breakfast
coffee machine mysteriously starts making pot after pot without being programmed to, coffeepot overflows and brackish water everywhere, not to mention icky-thin coffee...
Internal Affairs comes in for unknown reason and pisses everyone off because they are there and refuse to leave.
new panties literally disintegrate in the washer
gun holster starts to lose stitching at inconvenient time and gun catches on it temporarily
New obstructive religion becomes very popular led by crazy soap-box preacher.
:confused:
Ack. Well, my brain is fried, so I'm heading off to bed now.
Keep at it. Your story sounds very interesting!
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-30-2011 at 10:41 AM

LOL I love those suggestions. Most are too comical for the dark tone my story is shaping up to, but I'm thinking I.A. definitely needs a call. Harry certainly deserves it, even if she is doing what she thinks is right. :D

Thanks again! Looks like you're almost to 50K yourself. :D

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-31-2011 at 02:03 AM

:D I'm glad you liked them!
Well, I figured anybody can have a "black cat kind of day" to break the tension for a bit if the story gets dark enough that its hard to write. LOL. Can you imagine having IA walk in on the tail-end of that kind of morning?
Ah, yes, my brain is warped! I am an evil, evil writer. <cackles gleefully> :D:D

:DYup. Hit 50k this afternoon...er, yesterday. So excited! I've never written that much in a month.

;)By the way. Are you going to post your novel somewhere when you are done? Or sell it? It sounds fascinating.

I really admire you for doing all one story. My goal was literally just word count this month. I think I've written on a minimum of like ten stories, and of those, two are new ones that were insistent about popping into existence regardless of what I thought.:rolleyes:
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-31-2011 at 07:37 AM

LOL

Congrats on surpassing 50K! I've actually done more this month than I did most of last year, writing wise, so I'd say I'm doing super... though I ran into a snag. You know, that whole, "I'm tired of writing this story I've been working on for a month straight. Can I get a different genre up in here?"

Once I have a full draft of this novel, I plan to set it aside for several months. Time to age. Then, I'll bring it out, and try to do some heavy duty editing. And... about three more drafts after that. Once I'm finished with all those things, I think it might be publishable. I dunno. lol

Next month (AugNo, woo!), I plan to write on more than one story... unless the idea that popped into my brain a few hours ago ends up taking on a life of its own.

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 8-1-2011 at 03:07 AM

:D Thanks!
I really didn't start off to do this, but I figured: "Hey. One steno pad page front and back, that's about 500words, so 2 pages is 1000, and 4 is 2000. I can do 500 words four times in one day, that's not that hard. I do four pages easily in a day, if I've got anything at all to write about. And I write all the time anyway." I'm still shaking my head over some of the bits of utter drivel that I wrote when Writer's Block came in for a stare down. Riiiiight. 'Eeeasy.' Not!

And congratulations to you, too! Learning to write larger amounts in smaller amounts of time is pretty hard, so I agree that you are doing super! SUPERDUPERAWESOMEAMAZING! I'm certain that you'll do even better next time.
:D
LOL. That snag! I know that one! I run into it all the time. Sometimes after 60 pages, sometimes after one sentence or paragraph. Its an old, familiar friend. <laugh> Sometimes I have 4 stories on one page of my stenopad. Once or twice, I've even had more.

Age. :) Like good cheese or fine wine? I understand that. Completely. [<Hah!> Right now I'm afraid to read what I wrote this month and find out if any of it was any good.] And, wow, good luck with the editing when you get to it! I'd like to read it sometime even if you decide not to publish.
Er...wow, I AM tired. I just read publishable as punishable. <Heh.>

Definitely have fun with Augno! ;) Whether you write on one or on multitudes!
:DAn idea taking on a life of its own? Imagine that! LOL Here's to 'ideas taking on lives of their own'!
:D:D:D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]