JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [GLBTQ] Gay romance, anyone?
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Searching for words...
JulNoWriMo Title: Unsigned Letters

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-20-2011 at 03:52 PM
Gay romance, anyone?

Well, gay or... -Prods that long alphabet thing people seem to use- Not straight, is what I'm going for.

My novel this year is a teen romance [a new genre for me, yay], in which the main romantic couple happen to both be male.

I know there's got to be some more of you out there. Care to tell me a little about your story/planning? ^^

Personally, I only have a very vague idea to work with at the moment, as well as a title which I plan to keep but may well change [because don't they always?]. But I like my idea, and the characters are already starting to develop their own life, which is always a plus.

However, I also wanted to ask a couple of questions about your couple[s], because I'm curious [read: nosy].
*Is your couple already established, or is part of the story about them getting together?
*Will there be a break up of your couple at some point? [I do love a good break up, and sometimes a good getting back together scene.]
*Does your couple have to deal with homophobia/is homophobia a major part of your plotting?

[I'd love to hear from you if your romance happens to be a side-plot, also, rather than the main plot of your story. :)]

And, of course, I will be answering my own questions as soon as I have a little more figured out about my plot.

"You people and your quaint little categories."
HeraldMage
JulNo Writer

Mood: Chpper
JulNoWriMo Title: Rusted Heat

Word Count: 2208 / 50000
Word Count Start4% Complete96% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 11:32 PM

Me me me meeeee x3

Doing a male romance (as usual), and though I've had this idea for months, I haven't really done much planning on it -thumbs up-

Basically the MC is a blissfully happy kid with dreams of being a model, but that all comes to an abrupt halt when he's in an accident that seriously scars his face and handicaps him a little (still trying to figure out what the accident is exactly and what body parts are affected o.O). No-one talks to him anymore cause they're all freaked out and ignorant little boogers, until in the end his future love interest is the only one willing to even look him in the eye. Friendship blooms, yadda yadda, they fall in love, blahblahblah, and... more stuff happens that I'll need to meditate on x.x

Okay, questionz before I start droning about random stuff.
Is your couple already established, or is part of the story about them getting together?
It's a part of the story for them to get together. Most, if not all of my stories are "getting together tales". Y'know, I never really about starting a story with the couple being together xD

Will there be a break up of your couple at some point? [I do love a good break up, and sometimes a good getting back together scene.]
Never thought about them breaking up. Well... actually... Vaughn's cousin may just cause a break-up just because he's a butt like that. And drama generates more words /shot

Does your couple have to deal with homophobia/is homophobia a major part of your plotting?
MC kinda goes through it from his parents, but it's not really gonna put a damper in his life or anything (and they'll end up accepting him- eventually). And even though they're in high school they don't really get grief there, because they'll be keeping their relationship on the down low for various reasons, and are good at it ;o

Think that's good enough for now :3 Can't wait to hear from all you others out there ^^

[Edited on 6-27-2011 by HeraldMage]

Dylan K Ryan
JulNo Member

Mood: Snarky.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Boy in the Leather Jacket: Freshmen Year

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 12:13 AM

*waves* HI CHERRI! :D

It's LGBTQQIA, btw. >.>

I'm doing a mostly male/male romance with a side of male/female, female/female, and MtF/male. My story is drama/romance/young adult (and some slice of life, too).

Is your couple already established, or is part of the story about them getting together?
The first third of the story is them getting together, then there's a bunch of drama, you know, 'cause stories aren't fun without them.

Will there be a break up of your couple at some point? [I do love a good break up, and sometimes a good getting back together scene.]
Throughout the whole series they get 3, I think, breakup scenes in total. And 3 getting back together scenes. The story I'm doing for JulNo, though, doesn't have one of those scenes.

Does your couple have to deal with homophobia/is homophobia a major part of your plotting?
It's a major point for the first story, but it's mostly from MMC1's dad and a group of kids at school who really don't like their own group. There's also a lot of self-homophobia from MMC1 for the first two books until he outs himself at the end of the second book, gets kicked out by his dad, and moves in with his boyfriend and his dad.

[Edited on 6-22-2011 by Dylan K Ryan]

[Edited on 6-22-2011 by Dylan K Ryan]
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

Mood: The last leg of our journey deep within the psyche...

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 02:53 AM

Nearly all of my stories have at least an underlying GLBTQ theme. It's just how they all come out. ;)

Out of the 3 stories vying for my attention for JulNoWriMo11, two have lesbians for main and supporting characters. The other has gay kids splashed all over it by the second chapter - the protagonist just isn't sure about himself yet, which isn't actually that integral to the *main* plot but will play in to the frame of the story.

Somehow, that's supposed to make sense. XD
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 04:13 AM

Everything I've written since early 2007 has had GLBTQ themes. The short story I'm writing next month will be M/M, as are all my potential novel ideas (although I'm considering branching out to F/F with one idea, which will be awkward if I choose to write it, as I don't write female MCs as a rule).

Homophobia rarely, if ever, comes up in anything I write. Sometimes it'll be joked about, but never taken seriously. Most often romance is a secondary genre in what I write, so the couple itself isn't always the full focus - so often the sex(uality) of the couple, whether or not they were together before the beginning of the story, remains unaddressed. I assume if I put two people of the same sex together in a story then people will assume they're homosexual, rather than it needing to be stated or discussed.

;)

~ ♥ ~
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 09:07 AM

Yay, people! I thought I was going to be alone up here for a short while there.

HeraldMage - Yay for ‘more stuff’ and blooming friendships and what-not. Also, join the lack of planning group, we have badges [and cake].

Dylan - -Waves madly- Drama’s always good. ^^ As are getting back together scenes [even if they require break up scenes first].

crackingcoda - I laughed for far too long to myself about that first line. I‘m far too easily amused. -Shakes head- It makes sense. ^^

Tina - -Nods- :D

Now, for answering my own questions, because I finally have more than just a couple of characters pretending to be a plot!

*Is your couple already established, or is part of the story about them getting together?
* My story’s about my characters getting to know each other, falling for each other, then eventually meeting and having to deal with the fact that neither is quite who the other had imagined they would be. [Because I like doing things backwards..?] But does, indeed, involve a part of the story about them becoming a couple.

*Will there be a break up of your couple at some point? [I do love a good break up, and sometimes a good getting back together scene.]
* I think there probably will be. It covers at least two years, and I’ve never seen two teenagers manage that long without at least a small break up. [Doesn’t mean it doesn’t happen, but...]

*Does your couple have to deal with homophobia/is homophobia a major part of your plotting?
* There might be the odd comment because, well, teenagers. -Shrugs- School kids have this thing about anything different. But it’s not a major/particularly important to the plotline.

nathan_p
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: The difference between you and me is that I'm not wearing hockey pads.

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 08:59 PM

Mine's not strictly a romance, but there are two characters who would, in a more modern time period, be understood to be gay.

Mine appear in the story first as very close friends; later, in the prequel, we get to see them at first meeting.

They never really get together, but one of them is murdered during the course of the story. :\

The bulk of the story is set in 1896. If it weren't for the fact they were war buddies, their very close relationship might be slightly questionable.

Also, for other reasons, one of them's married. (Yes, to a woman.)

So while they have an unusually close relationship for two blokes, it's not outside the norm or the target of any particular discrimination.
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 06:30 AM

Now I've an idea I feel I can respond to the questions in full. I'll answer the questions first and then explain my story. :)

There are no official couples. Broghan will be involved with many people throughout the story, but of the three most important he will already be involved with one and have known the second since he was a toddler.

There are no couples, yet two relationships will dissolve over time.

No. In fact, there are no terms we use to define sexuality, such as "gay" or "homosexual", in existence - there is enough prejudice already without adding in discrimination based on sexual orientation.

My novel, Colour (working title), is set in a teahouse in an unknown country and time period - at least according to the main character. The boys working in the house are kept in the dark to the world outside the parameters of their Master's land to the extent that they do not know: where they live; where they come from; their birth name; the date; how old they are; nor even that there is an on-going civil war in their country. Realistically, it is based on stories outlined in ancient texts which describe the types of relationships that existed between Emperors and their servants in East Asia.

Although set on earth there is an alternate history: the white man never had the money or the power and racism was never fought against. Thus, the boys in the teahouse are either white or half-caste while the clientèle will be much more diverse - I'm not sure yet which race will be considered native to their country.

The main character -- known to the other boys as Broghan and to the customers as Khan -- is one of the eldest boys living in the house. Throughout the story he is involved with three characters: a boy around his own age whom he shares a futon with; a war veteran who delivers information from the outside world; and, his official love interest, the Master. The Master has a family and he doesn't hide his romance with Broghan/Khan from his wife, which sparks jealousy. However, like racism, gender discrimination was never fought against therefore she can do nothing to change the situation.

I'm not entirely sure of the overall genre yet, but the same-sex romance between Broghan/Khan and the Master is the main point of the story, directly effecting the decisions made for him -- eg: when the teahouse begins to suffer financially many of the older boys are sent into battle, yet Broghan/Khan is forbidden to leave -- and, ultimately, how the story will end.

~ ♥ ~
DawnEmbers
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 12:15 AM

I always have glbtqqia characters in my novels and almost always are they the main characters. For this July, I have three different novels I'm going to work on that I already started in the last year or so.

1. YA fantasy/dysopian(maybe) - This is a novel I started in March for a MarNo event. It is sort of a dystopian though I'm not 100 percent sure it qualifies. But there are two main characters, a boy from the village the story is told in and a new boy that arrives. They fall for each other during the story and at the end it's a question as to whether they will be able to still be together even though there are other big plot points too. There isn't really homophobia in the village but the few who do like same sex are still expected to have kids with someone to keep the population from diminishing. There isn't so much of a break-up as a point where one of the new boy's secrets is exposed and the village one doesn't know how to accept that knowledge at first.

2. Romance/Erotica - Completely different than the first one. I've only written random scenes for this but I'm hoping to make it into a full novel and it's one of my male friend's favorites. It's a m/m story dealing with a guy in his 30's who waited a long time for his ex to settle down but gives up and has to try and move on. He ends up dating a guy younger than him and both have insecurities to overcome for the relationship to survive. There is a breakup in this one because of a misunderstanding. Homophobia isn't really seen though the older one, Thomas, doesn't have family anymore because he was disowned when he was younger because he is gay.

3. Paranormal Romance - This is an angel/demon story I started because I like the characters and the plot. They start dating part way through the story too, so I rarely have any (first books in series at least) that are already couples when it comes to the main characters. Not really a break up though part of the end is when they are supposed to break up because of their umm difference. There is some homophobia that is dealt with in this story even in their afterlives.
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

Mood: The last leg of our journey deep within the psyche...

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 06:35 AM

I finally chose a story. It's crime/mystery about a lesbian detective with a partner who is bisexual -- and there are more gay-friendly characters I can't talk about because it'd ruin the ending. Really, it's kind of like The L Word. So few straight people. LOL

There are a lot of relationships in it, a big web of sexy, cheating lies that all fall apart by the end and expose the dirty underworld of a quaint little town. There are a lot of breakups, a kidnapping, and a crazy awesome lesbian chick beating up a sleazy suspect.

As for homophobia, I'm sure it'll come up, but not in any huge, story-consuming way. It's just a fact of life that gay people get hassled about it; a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.

...I'm going to love this story.

It's official. I'm writing a crime/thriller/mystery novel with GLBT elements. So psyched.

fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 03:43 PM

Hello!! *waves*

Quote: Originally posted by Dylan K Ryan  

It's LGBTQQIA, btw. >.>

Last I heard, it had a really long acronym which spelt a word (I think the word 'bagel' might've been in there somewhere) but I can't remember what it was and I can't find it mentioned anywhere on the internet. I'm sure I read about it somewhere online though. >_<

So, yeah. I'm doing M/M (like I have since NaNo 2009. Only because I've been working on this same freaking series since then though. -_-) and I have a M/F/F love triangle, but I pretty sure one of the M/F couples gets together in the end, and the girls are just friends. Though I actually wouldn't mind people writing fanfic about them if this book ever gets published and popular enough to write fanfic about. But it's just not the kind of thing I'm good at writing.

So I shall answer your questions about my main couple! Their relationship isn't really the main plot. It's a fantasy/adventure type thing really. Their relationship was more of an important plot point in the first book (which I wrote last year) but actually I think they hardly even see each other in this book. O_o They're only even in the same room as each other for maybe a third of the book.

Already established. They got together in the prequel, which I wrote last year.

I don't think so. I never like breaking up my characters. IWANTTHEMTOBETOGETHERFOREVER :( I know in real life, people are rarely 'together forever' but I can't help but not want them to break up. I'm like this with every important couple in all of my stories. >_< I get it into my head that they're TOTALLY SOUL MATES so can never ever be split up. *sigh.* So yeah. I don't think they will.
Although... Maybe I COULD, just for a bit of added drama. But they're getting back together afterwards.

Kinda. One of them deals with it more than the other because... they live in different worlds. Literally. It's a Fantasy book and one of them lives in a Magic World (sounds so cliched but whatever, that's my plot. >_< ). And I think homophobia and discrimination in general is more common in the magic world. Because, like, they have magic and have used it to make all of these technological advancements and stuff, but I think they're lacking in other areas because of that. So they're less accepting of people who are different to 'the norm.' So, yeah. It's not a HUGE part of the story but it does come up.

[Edited on 28-6-11 by fayola]

Morigale
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-29-2011 at 09:34 PM

I'm a little afraid to say I'm writing *massive acronym* fiction since I'm afraid I'm doing it wrong or not taking things seriously enough, but... well, half the damn story is about two guys in love so I suppose I've got to go for it. And not all stories can be about drama and seriousness, right? And not all of them can make sense, either.

The story is split into two parts, past and present. The whole thing is set in a heavily paranormal world, although all the characters in the first part are completely unaware of it. If I were a better writer, that could be really interesting. As is, it's probably going to just be jarring.

Past:

Alex and Magnus are the singer and guitarist for a band, genre unknown but probably similar to punk or metal (because I fail hard at assigning categories), and the only two members of the group who aren't likely to quit the band/get kicked out of the band at a moment's notice.

Anyway they end up sleeping together for various reasons including 'I was just high enough that it sounded like a great idea' and 'Every attractive woman in this town is married, insane, or both', and it works out pretty damn well if you know what I mean. Things go from there, and they end up in a relationship that's basically 'we're lovers, but hell if we're admitting it'.

I'm not sure if this bit is going to be a narrative on its own or more a bunch of flashback segments. Because right now the scenes I have laid out include a handful of sex scenes, a temporary breakup, a few scenes with the band's new drummer (Cal, an angry punk teenager with a ridiculous neon mohawk. He's adorable.) and a murder. (It'll probably have to be flashbacks to avoid complete whiplash between non-paranormal and paranormal settings)

In the end of this section, Magnus gets himself killed by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, which leads into the next part.

In between:
I've actually got a handful of scenes that go here, most of which are character development stuff for Alex and Cal - how the hell I'm going to wedge these in I don't know, since all the previous section is stuff Magnus could have been flashing-back about, but at this point he's nowhere near them.

Present (About... eight/ten years after Magnus's death?):

Emily is a nice girl with a very traditional family. She's going to get married, have children, and probably go completely insane because she hates kids and she doesn't have nearly as much in common with her boyfriend as she thinks she does.

Luckily for her, her great-uncle dies and leaves everything to her and her parents. Including Magnus's guitar, which happens to be haunted.

Magnus, now a ghost, is more than happy to find someone who can see him. After figuring out exactly what's going on and, more specifically, that he can actually possess her and still has all the guitar skill he did when he was alive, Emily realizes this is her ticket to get the hell out of dodge.

Insert bits where I'm not sure exactly what happens, Emily discovers it's harder than she thought to become a famous guitarist, they fall in love, Magnus assumes he'll never see Alex again because ghost blah blah blah.

They end up in a band full of supernatural creatures and... Alex shows back up, courtesy of less-angry-still-punk Cal and his dabbling into mystic forces he doesn't understand.

Alex and Cal can only see ghosts under very specific circumstances involving ley lines and mystic rituals and all that jazz.

Now any reasonable person would probably write 'He's torn between his past love and his new love!' whereas I basically write something that reminds me uncomfortably of those fanfictions where the writer turns one male character into a girl because she's too squeamish to write about two guys getting it on. Hopefully I can avoid that 'It's only sex if you've got male bits going into female bits!' vibe.

Alex and Emily are officially a couple, but it's almost always possessed!Emily he's sleeping with, Magnus is still in love with both of them, and occasionally the stars align and Alex gets to talk (haha, talk, right) with Magnus face to face instead of having to go through Emily.

And Emily's mother is absolutely horrified that she's sleeping with 'a 50-year-old man'. (According to my notes, he's actually somewhere around 35 and she's 22.) I think if she knew the real situation she'd just drop dead on the spot.

... I've written like eight jillion words about this and it's only supposed to be a side plot. The main plot is really supposed to be about the band Emily's in, and all the supernatural weirdness thereof. Probably not going to turn out that way.

Anyway questions:

Part of the story is about them getting together, and then about them getting back together.

Before the breakup-by-death scene, there's a point where Magnus discovers he's inherited some health issues from his mother and his hands are eventually going to get so bad he won't be able to play the guitar.

He decides to leave the band before it gets to the point where he'd be kicked out, which sets off Alex's abandonment issues.

Alex goes ballistic, there's much yelling, and it's basically a breakup scene without being an actual breakup scene. XD

When they're both alive, they don't have to actually deal with it head-on since they manage to keep their relationship hidden. But it's a pretty major part of the plotting since they have to hide their relationship to avoid bad publicity/losing fans/their bandmates flipping the hell out/etc.

And I'm sure some of the random other band members who go in and out of the story will be homophobic and provide some awkward moments.
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 04:31 AM

I feel like I should clarify the fact that I’m not propositioning anyone with that title, which is how it reads… *Sighs* I should think about my phrasing before I type things.

@nathan_p - Mhm. I think I understand where you’re coming from with this one. I had something of a similar sort in my first NaNo [well, it was a sub-plot which I dropped part way through the month because it was unnecessary/too complicated to keep up with on top of everything else.]

@Tina - That sounds like a really interesting plotline/premise you’ve got there.

@DawnEmbers - All of those sound interesting. Number three reminds me a little of a comedy piece I started a couple of years back… *Considers digging it up again for after JulNo* Because, according to me, it’s a good idea to mix comedy and a religion I know very little about… xD

@crackingcoda - *Wanders off to look up The L Word* I’m not surprised you’re going to love the story, sounds like you’ve got a solid idea to work with. ^^ Also, your Crazy Club Siggi has made me think that I should try it… I’m wondering if I could fit in JulNo, AugNo and NaNo this year…

@fayola - *Waves back* I thought it was an insanely long acronym. Latest one I saw was QUILTBAG… But, eh.
I have this exact issue with some of the couples in my writing. When they’re together, and working, I’m convinced nothing should ever come between them, ever. I don’t deal well with break-ups when I do write them. xD
Also, where is your avatar from? Because part of my mind is trying to convince me that I recognise it, and I’m not sure if I actually do, or if I just think I do because I’ve been mesmerised by it for the past five minutes…

@Morigale - Don’t be afraid! I don’t think there’s such a thing as not taking this seriously enough. In fact, of the GLBQT novels I’ve read [of which I can remember no names, because I fail or something], I preferred the ones in which the whole subject was taken light heartedly. Also, I’m going to assume you’re Liz unless you tell me otherwise. If not, you have a creepy similar idea to the one I was discussing with her last night…

Morigale
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 04:55 AM

Nope, I'm not Liz. D:

But if her idea centers around rock stars and/or ghosts I'm all ears.
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 05:17 AM

I've actually discarded my previous idea after deciding it will be too serious/tiring to write during one of the hottest months of the year. Instead I'm writing Malignant Culture: a silly novella that requires little effort/thought involving a gay AV accidentally being aired on daytime TV. My MC is an anti-social college student and the 'love interest' (I guess that would be his role if I had to label it) is slightly older, but I'm not sure by how many years - at least 5.

The story isn't about them getting together and they never officially become a couple. But, no, they haven't even met at the start of the novel.

Will there be a break up of your couple at some point?
    There won't be an official break-up or drama but rather I think they'll just stop seeing each other. Well, that's how I see it happening - I've a feeling they might disagree and cause WW3. I imagine conflict would only really come up between if one of them felt that what they shared wasn't a big deal and the other felt it was more than that.

Not directly, no, as no one really knows - it's not that they're hiding it but rather they treat it on a don't ask/don't tell basis. I imagine there will be a few ignorant comments thrown around by people who're against the video, though - but mostly they'll be upset about the general content of the tape rather than about who is in it!

To be honest, I think it would still work even if the main couple were straight. :rolleyes:

~ ♥ ~
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 07:49 AM

@Morigale -Not quite. We were talking about the idea last night/early this morning, and it was mentioned that her MC will be possessed by a ghost/spirit that she falls in love with. There was no more detail, as she was still plotting, so I saw that part and thought, ‘Ooh, maybe a plot happened after I went to bed last night.’ There’s a time zone difference between us, so it was still daytime for her, and there was plenty of plotting time left. ^^

Quote: Originally posted by Kristina  
To be honest, I think it would still work even if the main couple were straight. :rolleyes:

I think so would mine if I made a very slight alteration to the beginning. [But shh, no one tell Cole that he’d be the girl if I made the story straight…]
Your new idea also sounds interesting, and lighter. WW3 is usually a pretty fun thing to write about. -Nods-

Morigale
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 01:49 AM

Most of what little plot I have for the first half would just fall apart if it were straight romance, because there would be little good reason for them to be hiding their relationship.

Alex would definitely be the girl, mostly because his character design is infinitely easier to translate into an attractive woman. (To use animal metaphors, she'd be a lioness - female!Magnus would be some sort of spider. And not one of the cute jumping spiders either. Sorry Mags, but you're skirting the edge of attractiveness as is. You would not be a pretty lady.)

Female!Alex would flaunt their relationship to troll the fans. 'Lolololol guess what? I'm sleeping with him, not you! Lololol *trollface*'

And Emily would consider Alexa a rival rather than a potential bed-partner, so that would mess things up in the second part too.
eternal_vows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 12:17 PM

Yeah. Mine. Is actually urban fantasy, but the two leading characters (M/M) do get together in the end. Unless one dies, which I'm not past doing... (read: war! happy author, sad readers!)

Them getting together is a romantic subplot. They're one of the two main couples, the other being a M/F (with the male being seven years younger). (Amusingly enough, I thought the male from the M/F couple had the hots for the main character, but it turns out he's just a Good Friend, the kind that tricks you into felonies and gets you landed in jail, and was pining after Hanna. It was his older brother, whom he does not like very much, that was gay and interested in the MC. Yes, the friend's brother cliche. :P Although the friend has on more than one occasion, supposedly, attempted to kill the brother.)

Sorry to disappoint, but probably not... Well, there's a split before they get together, in which my main character Jamie gets kissed and freaks out, and Mason tells him to go home and figure it out. Which Jamie doesn't do for a very long time, because his method of coping is pretty much ignoring everything around him. But I wouldn't call that breaking up... since technically they weren't together to begin with.

The friend is uncomfortable with Jamie getting together with Mason, but that's less because the genders (I'm pretty sure the friend is bi) and more with the gap between him and his brother. (They're on different sides of the civil war. Awkward.)
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cherri  
I feel like I should clarify the fact that I’m not propositioning anyone with that title, which is how it reads… *Sighs* I should think about my phrasing before I type things.

@fayola - *Waves back* I thought it was an insanely long acronym. Latest one I saw was QUILTBAG… But, eh.
I have this exact issue with some of the couples in my writing. When they’re together, and working, I’m convinced nothing should ever come between them, ever. I don’t deal well with break-ups when I do write them. xD
Also, where is your avatar from? Because part of my mind is trying to convince me that I recognise it, and I’m not sure if I actually do, or if I just think I do because I’ve been mesmerised by it for the past five minutes…
ROFL. I never noticed the thing about the thread title until you pointed it out. XD

QUILTBAGEL!! I think that was the acronym I was trying to think of! I swear I read about it on a forum, yet when I google it, nothing of the sort comes up. Just random websites that are about both quilts and bagels. Sigh.

My avatar is from Starship. If you haven't seen it, it's on youtube here. (The scene that my avatar is from is Act 2, Part 3 if you're interested. :P)
You might recognise the people in it if you've seen A Very Potter Musical. They're the same theatre company that made that. :D

[Edited on 1-7-11 by fayola]

suasoria
JulNo Writer

Mood: Black & White

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 07:57 AM

M/m stories seem to be what I write best, so I'm always running with that. Through the course of the story, my MC will find himself a significant other. :]

While it won't be the biggest focus of the story, there will be a lot of attention given to the building relationship between my MC and his future boyfriend. They kind of start out as disliking each other, find something they respect about each other, become friends, get closer, blahblahblah.

I'm certainly toying with this idea, but we'll just have to see!

Not really. Though some head-shaking by the older, more conservative people in their lives is to be expected.

aelphi
JulNo Writer

Mood: pysched for a brand new storyline.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Gypsy Fireball Wars [tenative]

[*] posted on 7-2-2011 at 08:06 PM

*Is your couple already established, or is part of the story about them getting together?*

Since both of my guys are supporting characters, it would definately be a sub-plot, instead of a main focus of the story. In fact, neither of them openly identify themselves as gay, it's not essential to the story. However, if you read the story /knowing/ that they are gay, it's fairly clear, otherwise, you might just think them close friends/partners. That said, they're already together at the start.

*Will there be a break up of your couple at some point? [I do love a good break up, and sometimes a good getting back together scene.]*

There will definately be some fights. They're in a war, and in war, decisions have to be made, decisions some people may not like. So they'll fight over that, but eventually end up together again, never remembering why they were mad in the first place :D

*Does your couple have to deal with homophobia/is homophobia a major part of your plotting?*

At one point, the shy-er guy in the relationship talks about how his parents wouldn't let him be the person he wanted to be. Basically, it's his subtle way of saying he's gay and his parents are homophobes. But since the rest of the team [read:characters] are unaware of their sexuality, they don't get ribbed about it, nor would they, if either felt the need to come out. I think everyone's been through too much together to care who liked boys and who liked girls or some combination thereof.

Confidence is taking on the world in high heels.
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-3-2011 at 05:50 AM

@eternal_vows - Different sides of the war? Ouch. That could lead to some fun issues to deal with.

@fayola - xD Maybe I should just have kept quiet about it?
I must watch this. I love the Starkid group, AVPM and AVPS are awesome. Oh, watching this is going to be so bad for my July wordcount. It's made me insanely happy alread. xD Nice to see that Draco got his rocket ship. :)
How many websites are there about quilts and bagels? In fact, don't answer that, I probably don't want to know. xD

@suasoria - Will there be tutting to go along with the head shaking?

@aelphi - I love sub-plots like that. Especially if you've read a book once not knowing, then re-read it when you do know. I always end up wondering how I missed them once I know. xD

thechain
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Late for the Sky

smiley01.gif posted on 7-4-2011 at 08:54 AM

I'm brand new here! Thought I'd share a bit, if anyone was interested.

At the beginning of the novel, Violet and Emmeline are separated. Violet, who identifies as bisexual, is now dating a man. Emmeline, a lesbian, is single. But a major storyline is them getting back together.

They will probably break up again. I don't think they belong together, but they need each other to figure out who they are.

Homophobia is there, especially from Pacey (the fiance of Violet's best friend). He's just ignorant though, and doesn't really mean to insult people. Emmeline and Violet's parents may come into the picture at some point to cause some trouble.
suppii
JulNo Writer

Mood: setting gears
JulNoWriMo Title: Beloved

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 07:34 AM

Hi all. This year I'm writing M/M romance, so maybe I'll stick in this thread for at least a month :)

This is not my first M/M novel, but the one it seems most plausible to finish at the moment.
The story is about Nagase Hijiri, a college student who strive to become teacher and is still in closet. At the beginning of story he has dwindling long one sided crush with his childhood friend who are planning to marry their mutual friend at their hometown. He'll meet his future love interest, another student and "more experience" of pair, and it is about them getting to know each other while dealing with their own issues. Building trust and emotional attachment is the main drive in story, so the pace is pretty slow before, yeah, anything happens between them. :D

Getting them together is the main plot of story. One of my MC is still in closet and him getting out also part of plot.

Hmm, I haven't decided that far yet. But there will be some obstacles in their relationship since both them have their own insecurities/issues. Both of them are also stubborn and it takes lots of mending in both parts.

One of my MC family, the one still in closet, is homophobe. And some of their friends are also. But they thread the issue carefully so there will be no big issue in story, or so I plan.

EDIT: Oh yeah, in case someone wondering, this is pure romance. I'm amazed to myself I am able to write this genre :D

[Edited on 7-13-2011 by suppii]

[Edited on 7-13-2011 by suppii]

-----------------------------------------------------

......I know I'm supposed to be writing, not procastinating......

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]