Author: Subject: [Religious / Spiritual] Writing as a Christian
ChoKiba
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Light of Tomorrow

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-13-2011 at 02:54 PM
Writing as a Christian

I am a Christian though if you ask me I'm not necessarily very good at being one. But I also think that God has given me a gift when it comes to my writing and I want to be able to use that gift to praise and glorify him. I have noticed however that my writing tends to take on a very dark theme where the endings are necessarily typical or even very happy in most cases and I was wondering if any of you go through this problem. Do any of you go through this? What do you do? Just...

I guess what I'm trying to do here is ask all of us who are Christians and writers...what is it like to be one?

Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 6-13-2011 at 06:34 PM

I do not think there is much difference between being a Christian writer and a non-Christian writer (for lack of a better term). I am not quite certain what you meant by "the endings are necessarily typical or even very happy", I fear. Are there some words missing from the sentence?

I do know the feeling of, what shall I call it, irony or something similar. I write a quite dark story at the moment, and I need to research methods of torture, among other things, for that. And I study Theology. My fellow students would probably be shocked to see some of my notes. I feel morbid writing some scenes, but I think the story needs them.

To me, it is important to be true about life in this world, and there is much in this life that is dark. With no happy endings. Doing your best and always trying to make the writings the best you can, is to me the best way to glorify God. Almost regardless of the theme.

A lot of people are surprised to learn that Tolkien, author of "The Lord of the Rings", was a devout Christian, and he saw the work of an artist as a result of human beings being created in the image of God. He called it sub-creation, and thought it was part of being human to also be a sub-creator.

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
hasbeengineer
JulNo Member

Mood: Gung-ho
JulNoWriMo Title: Beelzebub, TX

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 04:15 PM

I'm wondering, too, about the tone of my writing. I want to try my hand at Christian fiction, but worry it will come off as disrespectful if I'm funny, or inappropriate if the story is too dark.

There's nothing wrong with happy endings. Go for it.
ChoKiba
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Light of Tomorrow

[*] posted on 7-1-2011 at 04:19 PM

I can understand the fear of being disrespectful or inappropriate. I can do happy endings, my problem comes that I don't want them to be cheesy which generally turns my writing fairly dark and from what I've seen of most Christian literature, well I just have really seen it from what I've read

Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 02:21 AM

As a Christian and Writer

As a devout christian and writer, I too believe in God-given gifts, and worry about disrespect. After a few abortive attempts to write christianity into stories, I began leaving religion entirely out of stories.
However, I soon felt that it left the stories incomplete and unrealistic at times.
My solution?
Different worlds/universes, different gods/religions. Religions abound in my worlds, but I rarely dwell on them much. I do have fun making them up and trying to make them rational religions. :)
Don't dispair, Cho. You aren't the only one who worries at times.
mandy30
JulNo Writer

Mood: Tired, but can't...stop....writing!
JulNoWriMo Title: The Shepherdess Princess

[*] posted on 7-18-2011 at 02:52 AM

My first novel to be published, which I co-wrote with a friend, had devil worshipers in it. The main premise of the book was a group of good friends teaming up together to conquer the evil resurrected by the worshipers in a ritual. Of course, the whole book turned out to be a dream. Crazy stuff, I know, and hard to write at times. What kept me going was the knowledge that good was going to be triumphing over evil in the end.

My second poetry book I just published has some dark poems and emotions in it. Largely due to the fact that a lot of loved ones were dying, and my poetry was how I dealt with that loss. I even titled one poem, "Contemplating Suicide," even though I wasn't contemplating it at all. I balanced it out with religious poems, funny poems, and poems about relationships as well.

But I've more recently submitted a bunch of short stories to the Chicken Soup for the Soul book series, and am working on several Christian romance novels. My JulNo novel is a twisted fairy tale where the Prince is the one saved by a damsel, instead of the other way around. They'll get married in the end, and live happily ever after of course.

[Edited on 7-18-2011 by mandy30]

[Edited on 7-18-2011 by mandy30]

My writing blog: Gethsemane's Garden Paradise

http://mandysgethsemane.blogspot.com

My Lulu Storefront: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fAcctID=1002159

My friend's Storefront, which has the collaborated book "A Candlelit World": http://stores.lulu.com/sarakaybooks

"And by the way, everything is writable about if you have the outgoing guts to do it, and the imagination to improvise. The worst enemy of creativity is self-doubt."

-Sylvia Plath

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/wQtYf8G/]

[/url]

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]