CherriStrawberri
JulNo Member

Mood: Creative
JulNoWriMo Title: Devil's Island

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 09:31 PM
Wilderness Survival?

My story is going to be a wilderness survival type... but with a bit of a twist. The animals there are mutated hybrids (such as Fox + Hyena) and, for the most part, very dangerous and aggressive.
The characters are all high school senior graduates so there aren't any adults. There will be a couple eagle scouts (probably just two, and then a few lower ranked scouts) and survival book-smart kids just to keep the story going, so I need wilderness survival tips and what not to do's so I don't sound like I'm speaking complete nonsense.
Any legitimate tips would be a great help! :)

By the way, if anyone would like a list of the hybrids I plan on using, let me know and I'll post them up. However, as of the moment, the list is still incomplete since I think the different kinds are rather few.
Sceryth
JulNo Member

Mood: Happy
JulNoWriMo Title: Fissure

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 05:17 PM

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/

That site should have quite a bit of helpful information. :)
CherriStrawberri
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 10:13 PM

Thank you very much!!
Ender Delphiki
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: No one believes in the future.

[*] posted on 6-14-2011 at 04:50 PM

I'm a Boy Scout myself pretty close to my Eagle, and I happen to know plenty about wilderness survival. If you haven't already, read Hatchet and Into the Wild. That site is pretty good too. Watch a bit of Survivor Man. But the most important thing is this: common sense. You can't survive if you're paranoid everything's toxic or there's always some creature pouncing you, but on the other hand you can't survive even one day if you overlook danger when it comes to you. What Gary Paulsen did with the Hatchet was he went out and did things he wanted to test the MC Brian on, so that he knew how to write about his experiences in the fictional story. Everything Brian does in the book, Gary did himself, only Gary never crash-landed and had to survive in the wilderness.

My JulNoWriMo is being sliced up by a Boy Scout trip of mine. I'm going to be gone on a backpacking trip for 10 days. This is not my first time doing it and I am very comfortable that if we were to get lost that we'd be able to survive for months without a single one of us dying. In fact, my biggest worry is if this absence will prevent me from writing up a certain number of words for a certain website, which certainly isn't life threatening in the slightest. However, not everyone in your story will be this comfortable, because it's hard to keep a big group alive for suspended amounts of time.

I also suggest one more thing: these are Eagles you plan on having. Boy Scouts are always prepared, let me say, and it's more than likely that, if this happened in real life, both the Eagles would happen to have brought along their rolls of duct tape and possibly a few outdoor tools that may prove beneficial in the wilderness. Make sure these tools are key because without prior preparation, you do not have a true Eagle Scout, but rather, a character with the Eagle rank thrust upon him suddenly much like how people who win the lottery usually go bankrupt within a year.

I may be a pawn, but I'm on the seventh row.
Evanah
JulNo Member

Mood: Anxious

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 04:14 AM

By no means am I any kind of expert (so sorry if I'm a turd for posting in your thread) but my husband and I are constantly discussing these things. I'm interested in the impact hybrids have on the survival skills of your characters, as in how does it change the game for them. Plus, having those book-smart people to offer suggestions is pretty interesting.

I would suggest that you read Would You Rather answers / poll that age group and see how people would respond to things like "Would you rather kill a small animal to eat or take your chance with some berries?" and such things, then add in what your characters will color that situation with and ponder how people respond in such situations. Additionally, I would read survival stories and see any patterns that might emerge, any idiosyncrasies amongst survivor types.

Best wishes with your story. Hope my strange suggestions are of some use to you :-)

Happy writing!

Seeking a crit partner for vampire erotic romance (and hoping you write the same).
CherriStrawberri
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-27-2011 at 09:11 PM

Thank you to both of you! I have learned very much from both of your posts! :)
Evanah
JulNo Member

Mood: Anxious

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 04:17 AM

You're welcome. Hope that your story is a winner :-)

Happy writing!

Seeking a crit partner for vampire erotic romance (and hoping you write the same).
aeradyren
JulNo Writer

Mood: Pensive
JulNoWriMo Title: The Dreaming Trees

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 08:27 AM

I was rather intrigued by this post, so I want to try to offer some insight as well. How are your characters getting to the island? If by means of a plane crash, the boyscouts will probably not have any sort of utility knives, matches, or sharp or flammable objects with them (unless they put them in their checked luggage, and I guess that would lead to an ordeal of finding the checked luggage in the crash site).
Another thing that may be difficult for your characters is obtaining drinking water. I noticed that the wilderness survival website offered some pretty good tips, but I thought of another one that might be useful. I have a friend who has a problem with his immune system, so when he travels, he brings a special UV light device with him to purify water. Maybe you could have a character with a similar problem?
I had one more random idea, dealing with starting a fire. I always think of flint and tinder when it comes to fire-starting, but flint does not seem to be an object most people carry around. Maybe you could have a character who wears a flint arrowhead as a necklace?
I know that my suggestions are pretty random, but I hope they help a little bit. Good luck! Your story sounds like something I would definitely love to read :)

"Take what you can from your dreams, make them as real as anything."
Ender Delphiki
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: No one believes in the future.

[*] posted on 6-28-2011 at 11:01 AM

That is a great point. Even in wilderness survival (actually, especially in wilderness survival) you have to worry about allergies and intolerances, and it would be pretty unrealistic to say no one has one of these. It does come down to the details, too. Think about biology and evolution and how things got the way they are:

What nutritional value do the food options have?
What kind of food should they be avoiding?
If this island is isolated from other life yet has a stable balance of creatures, what does the food chain look like?
Who are the producers, herbivores, omnivores, carnivores, decomposers, and diseases?
What kind of immunity do the natives have that protects them from the disease exposure that the newcomers might face?
What kind of unexpected immunity do the newcomers have that hurts the population?
What is the keystone species?
What tactics do the hunting animals use when hunting?
What are their weaknesses?
How can you track any of these creatures?
How do the newcomers go about fighting an attacker versus hunting for food?
Who do they really have to worry about?
Who do they not have a problem with?
Is it possible for the newcomers to 'domesticate' one of the animals?
What is the effect of the location on the environment?

I may be a pawn, but I'm on the seventh row.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]