JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: [Fantasy] What are you writing?
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:54 PM
What are you writing?

I suspect there might end up with a lot of us in this forum (even though there aren't many here yet). But what better way to collect ideas than to start with what it is we are writing ourselves? Besides, I'm sure everyone's eager to talk about that next great idea that they'll be writing come July.

So come now, what are you writing?

[Edited on 5-27-2011 by Nightsong]
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 03:55 PM

For me, I'm writing a historical urban fantasy. That is to say, the story takes place largely in and around a city, but not in a modern setting, and not on earth. The world is pre-industrial revolution, technologically right near the European Rennaissance, but with only the barest edge of firearms (gunpowder is just being developed).

The main story focuses around a single inn, Inn Every City, which, while not the largest or most popular in the city, still holds quite a reputation. Legends talk of the inn as predating the city, that it holds treasure of ancient kings, that warring armies used it as a command post in ages past. For those who come to it now, it's just another bar, but that it sees those from all strata of society, from the lowliest beggar to even the highest nobles (some claim to have seen the king, but they couldn't confirm it).

The story starts with Joe, a peasant from the countryside, coming to the city, and getting caught up in matters beyond his control. A Lord of the city is after him, and he's not even sure why. He manages to land a job at the Inn and keep off the streets, but he has to be constantly watchful, anything could be coming after him.

As it continues though, the novel reads almost more like a collection of short stories. Each section gains a new perspective character (though often it's someone who has appeared in the previous stories) with their own goals and tale to tell. Within each section though events continue to move in the background, the city continues it's days, subplots and background characters pop back in and the single thread of Joe's tale develops through.

After a number of subsequent stories and another number of interludes from the perspective of a cat, Joe's story comes to a close, though that of the Inn does not. After all, the Inn has been there forever, and it will continue to stand just as well.

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
Amaya
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 10:44 PM

I plan to write about a magic traveling shop.

The story centre's around a young boy who by chance inherits (kinda) a magic traveling shop. He finds out the Shopkeepers are an ancient order of ancient beings, and finds himself caught between too conflicting parties, who both see a different future for the shopkeepers.
dkonen
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 03:43 AM

Something involving the Fey, likely high fantasy, and celtic-ish. Probably not centralized in the realm of the fey. So much material seem a shame to let it go to waste.
Savara
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful
JulNoWriMo Title: The Obsidian Shifters

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 03:22 AM

I'm going to 'cheat' and finish last year's story "The Obsidian Shifters". There should be enough plot left to write another 50-80k for that one.

Just need to start planning soon :)

Weakness and strength are so closely related, it is hard to discern which action indicates which characteristic. - Empress Eiliana of Kayga

Agent Double Oh Zero
JulNo Writer

Mood: Aaaargh!
JulNoWriMo Title: But...That Wasn't in the Book!

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 10:43 PM

I am sort of cheating the system, and writing a story about what goes on behind the scenes of stories. :-D My story is set in Storyland (I have yet to think of another name, but it's been so long this one's starting to stick). This is the construction zone where farmers breed plot bunnies, characters are born and long to be real people...where stories are created. It is ruled by the Narrator, who ensures that all loose ends are tied, and that all stories end in a timely manner, and who controls plot holes, etc. But then the evil Ineffable Wizard decides that he wants all the stories for himself; he imprisons the Narrator, and takes over. He enslaves the characters, forcing everyone to be a character in his own personal epic. Chaos reigns. Plot holes abound. Unsupervised, plot bunnies breed out of control, and turn into vicious savage beasts that eat people. Droves of undeveloped, flat characters form armies of Mary Sues and...whatever the male versions of Mary Sues are called. Authors tear their hair out and panic, and the Muses, once the fount of inspiration, despair and flee, abandoning the Authors.

Oh yes, and there's a real Writers Block.

It is up to a gang of misfit characters, along with a very unique Mary Sue, to rescue the Narrator, and find the Magical Maguffin, a magical object which will ostensibly fix everything.

If it's not already too late...

Title: But That Wasn't In the Book!

My (Mostly) Writing Blog: God of Ephemera
JulNo 2011: But That Wasn't In The Book! [Working Title] - SCRAPPED!
SanityStealer
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 01:47 PM

Thousands of years ago, there was a great magical calamity. In order to protect themselves, a group of highly powerful mages created a barrier out of their own magic and the magic around them, creating a land protected by the wild magics of the outside world. The House of Portals was nearly destroyed, but the careful ministrations of it's Housekeeper and the help of numerous magicians, the House recovered -- but most of its portals had been destroyed or sealed. A horrifying prospect for the Housekeeper, whose job was to retain peace throughout the land by acting as an impartial diplomat. With the portals destroyed, the Housekeeper could not travel.

Now the barrier between the Inside and the Outside is starting to crumble. In the mind of the council, the only way to fix the problem is to send a group of people to the Outside, in order to find a way to repair the barrier. Unfortunately, only nonmagical people (and there are so very few of those) can operate magical items -- and since the House is one, only the Housekeeper, the one person bonded to the House, can unlock the portals required to travel from the House to the Outside and vice versa. And the portals must be unlocked from outside the House itself.

Julius, the current Housekeeper, is relatively new to his job. He's also paralyzed, and the fact that he can't leave his wheelchair doesn't bode well for foreign travel with expected danger. After finding Fletch, a street rat without an ounce of magic in her, he knows he has no choice but to take her on as an apprentice.

It's up to Fletch and her motley crew (an elf, a homunculus, a magic-gatherer, and a spirit trapped inside an ancient sword) to prevent the barrier's collapse, a feat that may not even be possible.

Title: The Housekeeper; Outside

... I hope that made sense.

Anagnorisis09
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 03:51 PM

The protagonist is sole heir to the throne of a dynasty that has ruled a nation of supernaturals (collectively called the Anomalies) for decades. However, revolution breaks out over long-developing issues such as unfair, racially based laws, the use of magical Seals, the prohibition of intermarriage between an Anomaly and a human, and of course high taxation--though I will hint that the citizens are giving up more than just money when I say "taxes."

I don't have names for anything yet, except the Anomalies. I don't know anything about the royal family, either, except that the protagonist is female and her parents are co-monarchs who aim to maintain complete control over both their daughter and nation.
Babbling Brooke
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Optimistic
JulNoWriMo Title: In Your Blood

Word Count: 1923 / 50000
Word Count Start4% Complete96% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-31-2011 at 08:44 PM

Scratch that. My idea has changed, but it's not yet fully formed. :)

[Edited on 6-3-2011 by Babbling Brooke]
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 10:06 PM

I don't even know, man.

I might write about some terrorist gods.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 11:01 PM

It's set on the planet Earth. But an Earth where magic is a common thing. The world progressed much like our own, but magic replaced the need of wires when it comes to electricity. Weapons were still created, by those without magic, of course. The wars still happened much like in reality. However, seven generations before the novel begins. World War 3 broke out after 60 years of world peace.

During the war, an unspeakable horror was unleashed. (See my prophecy/creation story here |Will Link to it later|).

Mankind's savior, a man by the name of Daniel, immediately set to recreating a place where they could live. He created a military, to keep people in line. He created strict laws, with even stricter punishments.

We come into the tale after seven generations. All have forgotten that the Lord King is their savior, and now view him merely as a tyrant. In the novel we will see the Rebels plot to take the Lord King out be unfurled and finally implemented. We will see the Lord King's preemptive measures.

(I shall stop, or risk spoiling the end).

Arianwen_Skyfeather
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Mostly dead
JulNoWriMo Title: Senachae Awakens

Word Count: 51031 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 11:09 PM

So I'm trying to finish this idea I started two years ago.

There is a group of assassins that kill things with magic. This generally means dragons, wizards, unicorns, and pegasi (plural of pegasus, I'm going with that until I find out what other people call it). They also go after witnesses and do not like anyone being left alive to brag about how they survived. Deaths are usually gruesome, and I've discovered that the current leader enjoys using fire.

They track down a witness at the beginning of the story, and her two children barely make it out of the house alive. Of course, this means that if the assassins find out they're alive, things will be bad.

So their mother's friend, a healer by the name of Rowan, is attempting to take them to somewhere where the assassins will never find them. They also meet up with one of Rowan's friends, Griffith, who they know absolutely nothing about, and he doesn't give away any info either.

That's about all I've got so far. It's not planned out, so I have no idea where it's going. I tend to let my characters drive. This usually involves a lot of traffic jams and wrong turns. But hey, it's fun!

marielaurent222334
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: A Seduction By The Book

[*] posted on 6-11-2011 at 03:52 PM

I am writing more than one novel and fanfic but for the most part one of my novels i am working on is called Blue Lights, which is a apocalyptic blue moon novel about the three heirs from each territory. Who are brothers and sisters never see one another until the day of their graduation because of their parents will.

However, soon become leaders after what is left of their family retires, but do not know that the three sisters find out the three brothers like them. They find out each of them are leaders for their own families territory between the New Port City and the Orion City but it leads to a huge battle neither wanting to face each other. But are now known to have an arrange marriage with each other for the greater good for both their people in the end!
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 09:32 AM

I'm writing about that magic portal that lets the characters come into the writer's world :). In the character's world, the writer is their goddess and the unwritten third book of her trilogy is the key to their survival.

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
syaffolee
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Bone Mountain

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 01:06 PM

I'm writing about two travelers who inadvertently stumble across a secluded monastery. The monks are hiding something a lot more dangerous than a bunch of valuable icons. I will probably draw a lot from Turkish mythology and folklore which will be fun since that will mean some interesting research.

thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Motivated
JulNoWriMo Title: Three Stars

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 01:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Imperatrix Xoco  
I don't even know, man.

I might write about some terrorist gods.

I love you.

Anyways, my story is a revamped version of my very first JulNo I ever did back in... 09. I actually don't have any magic or mythical beasts in my story. It's more of a political fantasy almost.
The setting is a world of my own creation. No magic, but it's set in the classic fantasy land. Very medieval.

My story goes like this:
The main character's (Ander's) brother was killed in an attack on the border patrol and no one knows who attacked or why. Ander is made captain of a recon mission to the north to find out what's going on. He is afraid of all the leadership that has been forced upon him and the only thing keeping him going is the thought of his brother still possibly being alive.
It turns out something bigger is going on and the existence of the entire country is at stake. Ander and his men are the only ones left outside of the capital to save the country.

sarahlea
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Tangled Origins

[*] posted on 6-18-2011 at 10:42 PM

I'm pretty sure my idea would be classified in fantasy.

Basically, main character (Calista) who lives in present-day starts to have some weird things happen to her after her father leaves. She realizes she can feel things other people can't and then starts seeing an ancestor, Eliza. Eliza is from the early 1800's. Eliza helps Calista discover that she is an "Old One." She has the gifts of healing and Sight - being able to see glimpses of the future. The Sight also makes it possible for her to see Eliza (also an Old One) and "visit" her in her time. It's not time travel - more the sharing of memories or perhaps an astral projection kind of thing.

Calista discovers that her father is a Healer and her mother is a Seer, and that is why she is born as an Old One. She also meets and falls in love with another Old One. She discovers more about herself and then learns about the Council, who controls all of the people with gifts. She finds out the Council has something to do with her father's disappearance and she sets out to help him. Throughout the discoveries made in her own life, there is a parallel to Eliza's life. Glimpses into Eliza's life are seen (I'm thinking Calista dreams of it). Eliza immigrates to the US right before the potato famine hits Ireland. Seeing how Eliza's life played out forces Calista to make some hard decisions about her own life.

There's obviously much more to it, but that's the gist of it. Not sure if it's utterly confusing or not. LOL I do have it mostly figured out in my head, and I'm sure I'll probably be able to explain it better once I get it written.
Lave
JulNo Member

Mood: Wisdom teeth removed - face hurts.
JulNoWriMo Title: Mercus

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 01:41 AM

I'm re-writing the NaNoWriMo I finished last year. Technically, I won and the first story came out to about 70k when completely finished, but I became dissatisfied with it because it seemed like I tried to do too much and every plot turned out weak and lack luster.

It'll be about a telepathic prince and some rogues trying to reclaim the country or looking for/finding the successor. I haven't completely fleshed out the ending in my mind yet.
Keiko
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 02:20 PM

I think I've finally decided what I'm going to write. It's a comedy/psychological thriller about a diplomat who visits a city-state to see their leader but the people are being very ambiguous about which person she sees is actually him. I'm going for a sort of Kafkaesque feel.
Morigale
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-21-2011 at 09:30 PM

I'm working on something I'd classify as 'modern paranormal fantasy' because urban fantasy generally seems to be more... traditional werewolves and ghosts and action-adventure.

Currently I've got a psychic and a non-psychic both in love with a ghost, a Deer Woman who fails at being murderous, an Inugami in a stolen body, a Rusalka with aspirations to stardom, a Barghest who looks scarier than he is, a mechanical genius with a death curse on her, an agent of the paranormal equivalent to the MIB, a severely warped version of the Swan Maiden folktale, and one human character who may or may not have some sort of magic. (Seriously, I can't figure him out.)

I'm hoping for a tone like the better, earlier season, monster-of-the-week episodes of the X-Files. Serious and funny and genuinely creepy at the same time.

I also have a less supernatural and more... I don't know, 'romance' oriented (uh... it's not the flowers and kittens sort of romance, but it's basically a love story) story set in the same world featuring the ghost before he was a ghost. Now, in the hands of a good writer, reading about completely normal characters in a world where all sorts of paranormal stuff is going on under the surface could be absolutely fascinating. I'm pretty sure I'm not that good.
crackingcoda
JulNo Writer

Mood: The last leg of our journey deep within the psyche...

[*] posted on 6-22-2011 at 02:19 AM

One story I'd like to pick back up next month is about vampire merpeople. That's fantasy, right? O.o

Edited to say:
Also, I have the story I've been working on for the last six years. A boy who thinks he's the Antichrist grows up to save the world. I think it's fantasy. There are fantasy elements...

[Edited on 6/22-/1111 by crackingcoda]
CherriStrawberri
JulNo Member

Mood: Creative
JulNoWriMo Title: Devil's Island

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 08:22 PM

I've been told that my story would be considered fantasy so here's that:

Jake Sharpe hates his twin brother, Chase, with a burning passion. They've despised each other from the moment they fought to escape their mother's womb first. So, when they're trapped with the other high school graduates of Dravrah High School on a mysterious deserted island, it doesn't improve the situation. Not to mention the plane's crew is missing, all plane communication devices are completely destroyed, and the island is stuffed with deadly mutated animals. This definitely wasn't the graduation celebration trip to Spain. This was Devil's Island.

I can't wait to start writing but have no idea how to really write the beginning... :/
Dark_Is_Rising
JulNo Member

Mood: And I'll be dancing myse-elf...
JulNoWriMo Title: Keys: The Lake of Avalon

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 01:42 PM

I probably should have a clearer idea of what I'm going to write about this JulNoWriMo, considering it's four days away where I live.

I'm not too sure as to what the plot is - I just have a general idea - but in every story I write (that I end up finishing) I wing the first couple of chapters and find the plot shortly afterwards.

There's Piper and Nathan - the main protagonists. They're sorcerers. There's this magical relic called the Stone of Avalon. I am not too sure as to what it does.

I've got a few ideas for a plot in my head (and in twenty different notebooks), but I'm going to let my characters decide which plot they're going to take . :D

One plot I'm thinking about using are as follows:

Piper and Nathan have to embark on a quest to locate and destroy the Stone of Avalon before their enemies can use it to bring about the Apocalypse (which involves the entire Earth's surface to be flooded, an eternal winter that freezes the whole thing over, Earth's core and mantle cooling down to absolute zero - no more volcanic eruptions to generate heat and a slight, slight possibility of life...Basically it involves turning the whole Earth into a giant sphere of ice and rock and water.)

Just now I got this idea of Piper's mother being deceased and something about Piper being able to talk to ghosts and spirits (how original :/), as a subplot.

I'll just have to wait and see how July goes, I guess :)

EDIT: Today I got a plot bunny, and now the plot of my novel will go something along the lines of Piper and Nathan having to embark on a quest to find this hour glass filled with water from that lake where King Arthur's Excalibur is hidden. The water has the power to make its drinker immortal/heal wounds/ etc, and can be used as a key to locate the aforementioned lake. Piper and Nathan have to beat their enemies to it, who intend to use the water to immortalize the Empire's armed forces, leaders, sorcerers, etc and win a Global War - by achieving world domination - that has been raging on for 12 years.

I will probably use this plot.

Also, I just got this random idea that Nathan will be something of a ladies' man.

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by Dark_Is_Rising]
journeycat
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 11:59 PM

I have a vague idea forming in my head, set in a world where there's sorcerers, and then sorcerers who use black magic, which is used to summon demons who do their bidding. The main character is the apprentice of the court physician, and is also the daughter of a deceased, traitorous sorceress who used that black magic.

Not sure how it'll play out, though, but here's to hoping it will lead to something substantial. :rolleyes:
ChoKiba
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Light of Tomorrow

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 04:39 PM

I'm going to be working with an idea that I wrote a little one-shot on about a year ago based on the idea of grim reapers in the form of things called "Time Keepers". These Time Keepers are following this girl named Crystal who is supposed to be dead, but somehow managed to live on after that until a man enters who life who even the death eaters fear.

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by ChoKiba]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]