Author: Subject: I'm AWESOME at...
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 11:12 PM
I'm AWESOME at...

What are YOU awesome at?! ie, what are you really passionate about that others could come to you for advice in July? :)

For me:
- I'm a long distance runner, so I can offer assistance if you're writing something involving athletics/running.
- I'm fairly skilled with computer programming, creating web sites, etc. (currently working towards a degree in Information Technology)
- I've lived in central Pennsylvania most of my life, and also know the Buffalo-Rochester area of New York rather well. I've also traveled to parts of Australia, California, Wisconsin, Maryland, and various other places.

Your turn!

Wingman
JulNo Royalty

Mood: "Don't say its a fine morning or i'll shoot ya"-John Wayne
JulNoWriMo Title: The Conspiracy

[*] posted on 5-14-2011 at 11:27 PM

Alright lets see

I'm a trombonist and I've done a year in marching band
I'm one of the biggest experts in my area when it comes to film history especially when it comes to Universal studios international
I'm visually impaired
I do a little hand drawn animation in my free time,I also know a little bit about 3D animation programs and Web page design.
I'm also a comic book artist
Also I am a born and bred North Carolinian

I guess that's it

"Talk low Talk slow and don't say too much"-John Wayne

What ever you do don't forget to save Save
SAVE! AND I MEAN IT

Writers Creatures of the night
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 04:08 AM

♫ Artificial intelligence: mainly on how robots work/respond.

♫ Seven years of domestic rat keeping: health/diseases/treatment and both general & erratic behaviour.

♫ Abuse and gang violence: unless it involves guns I can probably help you with it.

♫ British politics (post-1979) and Africa's development.

♫ GLBTQ and polyamory.

♫ Scotland and England in general: dialect, school systems in both (they're drastically different post Yr 6), some history, major cities, the countryside, etc.

~ β™₯ ~
Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 02:04 PM

- Greek and Roman history

- Latin. I'm in Latin 3 and pretty darn good, if I do say so myself.

- Drama. I'm big into acting and can give you a good feel of what drama is like for the people behind the scenes.

- Literature. I just know a lot about literature. xD

- Book binding

- The general Pacific Northwest area. I live in north Idaho, but I can tell you a lot about the culture here and how people act and stuff. And also about what living in the woods is like.

Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-15-2011 at 02:49 PM

-- Spain / Spanish Literature & Language: My degree is in the latter and I lived in Spain for quite a while. Basically, I know the text book stuff AND the way it actually works in real life. And am bilingual.

-- Central Florida: And anything you may ever want to know about it. Local stuff, tourist stuff, maps, directions, etc. Anything and everything.

-- Amusement / Theme Parks & Roller Coasters: Along the same lines, I am intimately familiar with all of the major theme parks in Central Florida, having worked for both Disney and Universal, but also with other parks around the globe. I'm a bit of a coaster buff, too, and if there's something I don't know... I can definitely find out from my semi-boy who knows everything. And I mean that.

-- Harry Potter: This extends farther than the books and movies [though, I do know an obscene amount about both of those, too], and includes the theme park, wizard rock, conventions, fandom, fanfic, and... Well, everything. I'm insanely involved and invested in this.

-- Video Games: I play pretty much anything I can get my hands on, with the exception of anything that is strictly XBox. My specialties are Kingdom Hearts, Pokemon, and Final Fantasy... But those are just my absolute favorites.

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
janefendy
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: umm >___>
JulNoWriMo Title: Vulture Eye / Juxtaposition of Life and Death

[*] posted on 5-21-2011 at 09:59 AM

- Asian stuffs, i.e. the culture and people's behaviors. I'm from Indonesia, so I know well how it feels to live in a tropical country :)

- English is my second language, if anyone would like to know how to feel to have it as your second language (perhaps any your character isn't a native English speaker)

- I live in Melbourne at the moment, so yes, I know quite a bit about the city. Not a lot though, especially about location since I'm not spatially intelligent :p Also, I live in a student apartment.

- I'm in uni, taking commerce degree. At the end of my first semester now, offering some introductory knowledge about the subjects and uni life :)

- Some hardcore bands, if by any chance your character is an emo, I can possibly give some references.

Twitter - Last.fm - Blog

Badge(s):
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 10:03 AM

I am an oral story-teller, so I can help a lot with to get the sound and feel of traditional tales (myths, folk-tales etc), or parts of stories that are supposed to be a myth.

I know a fair amount about horses. Western-riding I don't know too much about, but dressage and the classical training of the horse I know quite well. The kind of riding I do, is based on working with the natural responses of the horses, and I know something about correcting faults. And the training of the horse for battle, which is where dressage comes from.

I know a little bit about sword-fighting and jousting, but that is more theoretical knowledge than practical (gathered from people who do this, but still - I do not have very much experience myself).

Descriptions is my strong point when it comes to writing, not just visual, but using the whole spectrum of the senses. And using rhythm within a narrative. I also studied Literature, so a know a lot about the more technical side of writing. Or, perhaps rather how to analyse. How different tools - for lack of better word - like POV and narrative voice, can work. I am usually good at verbalising what I find problematic in a text, and why. And the opposite - what works well and why.

I live in Norway, so I know what snow and cold feels like ;) And I have sown several pair of turn-shoes (quite proud of that), so I can tell a little about how to do that....

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
Agent Double Oh Zero
JulNo Writer

Mood: Aaaargh!
JulNoWriMo Title: But...That Wasn't in the Book!

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 04:45 PM

I live in Florida, and I've only seen snow once or twice. I can help with the weather, as it's always hot and muggy. I can also help with what it's like to live down here in general, like cultural differences and education.

I am Indian, but I've lived in America for most of my life, so I can help with the multicultural perspective, and the culture clash. I know what it's like living in an Asian family. Having been exposed to multiple languages and cultures changes your POV. I can speak English in more than one accent, for one. :-D

I'm a software major, so I have done some software programming and design.

I'm also a nerd, and a bookworm. I don't have a social life (don't need one, my characters are my friends), and I come with a label that says "do not expose to direct sunlight." I can help with the perspective of being rather shy and being terrified of talking to new people, being an introvert, being analytical over being emotional, etc.

I'm also vegetarian (no eggs/gelatin/fish/chicken/meat) so I know what it's like, how you'd go about checking things in the grocery store, how you'd find things you can eat on restaurant menus, food substitutes, etc.

The music I listen to is pretty hardcore, so I can provide references to hard rock/metal bands.

My (Mostly) Writing Blog: God of Ephemera
JulNo 2011: But That Wasn't In The Book! [Working Title] - SCRAPPED!
PrincessxShawn
JulNo Writer

Mood: Sleeeeeepy...
JulNoWriMo Title: Babbett, Mel Mary

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 11:04 PM

- Flute, Piccolo, Music: I've been playing the flute for 9 years and the piccolo for 7 years. Needless to say, I know my music.

- Honorary Fraternity: I'm an active brother of Kappa Kappa Psi, a music co-ed fraternity.

- Photography: I own a professional camera (Canon Rebel XS) and I have used other, more professional cameras.

- Theatre: I have worked technically in a theatre in all aspects: lighting, sound, props, costumes, and management.

- Television: I am currently a Broadcasting and Electronic Media major and I am basically studying how to work in television.

- Forensics: I was a forensics major for 2 years and have some background. I also still receive forensic scientific journals so I can give references for more information.

- Indiana, Ohio: I've lived in both states for the majority of my life so I can answer most if not all questions.

- Psych, Burn Notice, Detective Conan: If anyone needs help, these are my shows!

- College Life: I can't give you all the crazy stories really because I go to a little college in the middle of nowhere, but I can tell you about the whole experience in general and I have definitely met some... "interesting" people thanks to college!

[Edited on 5-28-2011 by PrincessxShawn]

Goals for JulNoWriMo 2011:

Babbett - fantasy novel
The Murderous Misadventures of Mel Mary - murder mystery

Agent Double Oh Zero
JulNo Writer

Mood: Aaaargh!
JulNoWriMo Title: But...That Wasn't in the Book!

[*] posted on 5-24-2011 at 11:32 AM

Addition to my list: I am a huge Doctor Who fan! I can help with the new series at least, I haven't seen the old one.

My (Mostly) Writing Blog: God of Ephemera
JulNo 2011: But That Wasn't In The Book! [Working Title] - SCRAPPED!
SianaBlackwood
JulNo Writer

Mood: Insane :)
JulNoWriMo Title: The Silver Cliffs

[*] posted on 5-25-2011 at 06:49 AM

Er...

I keep goats, so if you want to know anything about goats just ask me. By July I'll be working full-time in a goat dairy.
I also have too many cats, so if you need a mad cat lady's perspective that could be me :P
I used to play the bagpipes.
I've studied IT, web design and library technology.
I have to wear sunglasses and a hat to go outside or I get migraines (great, I'm awesome at describing migraines...). I also can't eat onions, garlic or anything in the same family. No, not even a chive.:(
I know a fair bit about heavy metal.
Also, I can practically recite the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy books...

However, there is nothing whatsoever I can tell you about having a social life unless goats, cats and characters count as friends.

"When the path seems well-lit, kill the lights and wander into darkness."
- Chuck Wendig
NaNoPlotMo | Arrow of Eloquence
JexMorgan
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: busy

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 06:59 PM

-Another Floridian here. I'm from S.Fl. and I can help with the areas from Fort Pierce down to Lake Worth, and I might be able to stretch some of my knowledge all the way down to Miami [I visit there a lot] along with Orlando, Ocala, and St. Augustine. I could also tell you a little about Cocoa Beach/Palm Bay/Malabar

-I collect playlists/mixtapes/soundtracks/fanmixes/etc. so if you need to know about any kind of music I could probably help you out. Along with the music scene in S.Fl.

-I love the show Mad Men, so I could tell you about the show or if you don't care far too much about accuracy, 60s and an advertising office.

-I'm homeschooled. if you need something on home education, I'm here. I recently made the transition in from a normal public high school, if you need information on high school, the transition, why people would choose homeschool over public & private education, what it's like to be homeschooled, etc.

-I like soccer. I played for ten years and I watch the pro leagues [focus on the English Premier League] but I can tell you a little about what playing is like, etc.

-Harry Potter. Everything Harry Potter.

2009: Fire and Ice

2010: Wind and Water
gwagirl1
JulNo Writer

Mood: loved
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled

[*] posted on 5-27-2011 at 09:43 AM

um. i'll just make a list of topics.

-horses
-oboe
-piano
-cats
-gypsies
-witch hunts
-harry potter
-anything regarding romantic relationships
-northeast missouri/northwest, IL
-rednecks, hicks, crickers (whatever you wanna call 'em. =P)
-blogging
-website owning
-ancient egypt/ cleopatra
-hilary duff, avril lavigne, paramore, the pretty reckless
And I live in a small town (population 223) if anyone ever finds that intriguing. =P

JulNoWriMo \'12, NanoWriMo \'11,JulNoWriMo \'10, AugNoWriMo \'09, JulNoWriMo \'09, NaNoWriMo \'08 = fail
WriMo newbie? check out my tutorial.

marsbareater12
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: little monsters

[*] posted on 5-28-2011 at 06:09 AM

YES! Piano! I've been trying to figure out something I could put on this list for a long time...

Oh, and y'know, typical teeange bitch'n'boys stuff. But there's probably plently more people you could ask on that :P

-will edit this list if she thinks of anything else-

-I go to a private, Christian school.
-Conspiracy theroies-9/11, mostly
-Classical piano
-Twilight.
-Kuroshitsuji (a Japanese anime :D )
-Live in Australia, so anything you need to know about here, I can probably tell you :P

[Edited on 6-14-2011 by marsbareater12]
AbigailsCrafts
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Pride or Folly

[*] posted on 5-30-2011 at 04:28 AM

I've lived in Japan for 6 years so if anyone needs to know anything about modern Japanese culture, living as an expat, or cross-cultural relationships, I might be able to help out.

Abuse and domestic violence issues - what it's like to be an abuse survivor.

Schools and teaching - I've taught in the UK (secondary) and Japanese (kindergarten and preschool) school systems.

Crafts and craft history - I'm an obsessive crafter, especially knitting and fiber arts. I dabble in some Japanese techniques, as well as historical crafts such as nalbinding, tablet-weaving, and sprang.

Alchemy - I'm far from an expert but have dabbled a little in the study of alchemy. I knew who Nicholas Flamel was long before I read Harry Potter ;)
Daxne
JulNo Writer

Mood: Feeling good!

Word Count: 6912 / 50000
Word Count Start14% Complete86% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-1-2011 at 10:59 PM

Umm,
-Double reed instruments, with my main focus being bassoons
-The movie "The Breakfast Club"
-Latin, I've taken three years so far and am going into my fourth
-Ancient Roman Daily Life and Ancient Roman History
-Penguins
-and Three headed one eyed monsters

...I'm not that weird, I promise. :D

EDIT: I live in Colorado, but I grew up in Texas. So, if you wanna know what it's like to make the change from a relatively conservative place to a rather liberal one feel free to ask.

I'm also in high school and can offer advice on teenage drama if needed.

[Edited on 6-2-2011 by Daxne]

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

blah
JulNo Writer

Mood: Slumping already? :(

[*] posted on 6-2-2011 at 06:20 PM

Let's see...
- I play the piano and violin
- Know quite a bit about parrots, parakeets, whales & dolphins, and other various birds
- I used to live in the San Fransisco area, but now I live in good ol' Seattle.
- Greek/Roman mythology
- I speak Cantonese (yes, I'm Asian.)
- Trance/House/Techno music! Particularly Daft Punk :)

And that's about it!

[P.S. If anyone around here is an expert with swordfighting and archery techniques, please U2U me.]
Draggar
JulNo Writer

Mood: Enthusiastic
JulNoWriMo Title: 10 Stories, 300,000 Words

[*] posted on 6-5-2011 at 06:06 PM

Yay. Definitely message me for further info/details.

- Dog training, dog psychology. 7+ years experience with herding and working dogs. Border collies. Dog sports including freestyle, agility, herding trials, flyball, disc dog, etc.

- California. Lifelong resident!

- farmlife/ranchlife. Indeed.

- Christianity.

- history of the occult. heh.

- criminal justice and psychology.

- Arthropods. I am a huge insect enthusiast.

- 80's movies.

- Editing. I love to try my hand at editing anything. There are lots of book editors in my family.

All I can think of right now.
cole has a cookie.
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Dream Glass

[*] posted on 6-9-2011 at 04:52 PM

- Psychology. I'm a psych major. I'm no expert, but I know people to ask if I can't answer something. [:
- College life. Namely transitioning to college from high school, living at home v. living in a dorm, being at a smaller liberal arts college, and balancing school with a job and a social life.
- Southern Ohio/Mid-Eastern Kentucky. I grew up in Ohio and live in Kentucky now.
- The Mortal Instruments series and the Hannibal series.
- The Sims. Oh yes. I'm a Sims addict.
- Sixx: AM, Motley Crue, and Avenged Sevenfold. 'Nough said.
super5454
JulNo Member

Mood: Is it weird that I can't figure out one?
JulNoWriMo Title: Pieces of Time

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 12:14 PM

~I'm pretty good at spelling. I've won my school's spelling bees a couple of times. (My cousin tells me 6 times, but I don't know)
~I can memorize whole movies, musicals, etc, such as Starship, A Very Potter Musical, and A Very Potter Sequel.
~Some 70's and 80's shows.
~Teenagers. I know enough to be skilled in them.
~ Penguins and Cats.
~ I used to live in Wisconsin, but now I live on a starship. :)
~I think I'm pretty good at singing, but I don't know. It's my opinion

[Edited on 6-16-2011 by super5454]

rowena
JulNo Procrastinator

[*] posted on 6-12-2011 at 03:52 PM

-Voice/singing...I've taken voice lessons for years so if anyone wants information on the technique of singing or anything I could help.
-Musicals - I do a lot of them :P
-Basic Spanish and French
-I used to play the oboe and the clairinet
Ender Delphiki
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: No one believes in the future.

[*] posted on 6-13-2011 at 02:59 PM

-Rubik's Cube (14.03 seconds fastest solve) and speedsolving of 40 other 'twisty' puzzles
-programming, specifically, advanced web programming and enough java to have gotten a 5 on the AP test.
-Piano. I don't play classical or those boring genres. I play full-blown Dragonforce and Dream Theater on my keyboards, which are stacked one above the other
-Perfection (otherwise known as OCD)
-Pokemon. Yes, really. Shiny Sneasel is my avatar and it's my favorite and if you have one I'll give you a legit Celebii

I may be a pawn, but I'm on the seventh row.
ReggieLithium
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-15-2011 at 06:00 PM

Well things that other people have already mentioned:
Harry Potter
Doctor Who
Starkid Potter (Though I'm still watching Starship)
College Life (I go to a large state school so that's different from the above poster)

Things either no one's mentioned or I missed when I skimmed:
-I'm an English Lit major with a minor in creative writing so I can speak to the mechanics of writing fairly well, and I can extract meaning from anything written pretty well.
-I'm a pre-med student so I can tell you anything you need to know about cell biology and organic chemistry. (I put this mostly because I want to read any story that necessitates an orgo question)
-Cancer: treatments, symptoms, current research, and the emotional impact on both patients and their loved ones during and after treatment.
-Crohn's Disease
-The blood brain barrier and treating brain based illnesses
-A few other random illnesses and injuries
-Glee
-Grey's Anatomy
-Friends
-Darren Criss
-Suburban New York and some areas of New York City.
-Maryland, the area right next to DC.
-Some areas of DC
-Music, mostly current rock/alternative bands, but I'm a borderline expert when it comes to certain bands/musical movements. No actual musical ability though.
-Professional fraternities
-Alcohol/Marijuana
-How to break into most cars (I'm getting better at this one over the summer--I work for parking at my school.)
-The drive from New York to DC. I could do in my sleep if it weren't for those other cars.
-The explosion of a steamboat called the Reindeer....seriously spent a semester on it for a group project and the professor told us afterwards we were possibly the leading experts on that explosion as well as steamboat legislation. Likely because no one gives a damn.
-Also if you're in dire need of the exact text of a law the library on my campus is the backup library of congress.
-Dialogue. No matter what it is, people tend to complement my dialogue. I just generally have a good ear for how people speak in current states. I specialize in the Northeast United states of course.
-girl scouting.
-Food service
-Cater waitressing

[Edited on 6-15-2011 by ReggieLithium]
MoonIsMadeOfChocolate
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 01:04 PM

- I play piano, accordion, pipes (bagpipes and smallpipes) and guitar. I've completed grade 8 eight on the piano and play pretty much everything on the other instruments.

- I spend an unusually large amount of times in pubs considering I'm not even old enough to drink. (I play gigs wherever I can get them and there's quite a few pubs around our area that look for a band.)

- I've also done a couple of professional shows so I know all about amplification and sound checks.

- I've lived in Ireland my entire life and speak fluent Irish.

- I know all about mushrooms and how they're grown as my Dad owns a farm that grows chestnut mushrooms. (And I don't even like mushrooms!)

Xenexian
JulNo Member

Mood: Offended :O
JulNoWriMo Title: Staying Ella Cartwright

[*] posted on 6-17-2011 at 04:41 PM

• I love music! I play piano/keyboard and I sing. I've performed in... *thinks*... 34 concers in about... *thinks some more*... eight years.

• England. Seeing as I've lived here all my life, I understand most of the stuff about England.

• Tourism in the Lake District. Seriously, I did a whole 12 page essay about it for my GCSE Geography. It was font size 10, single spaced. ¬.¬

• Harry Potter. And Twilight. And also House of Night. And Vampire Academy.

• Medicine through time: pre-history right through to modern day.

•Castles. I know, I'm a nerd.

• Germany: 1914-1945

Anything else? Oh, yeah...

• Christian and Muslim views on just about anything. What? I'm a Religious Studies A*-er!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]