Author: Subject: HELP!!
average rebelutionary
JulNo Writer

Mood: *FOR NARNIA*

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 08:37 PM
HELP!!

Does anyone ever struggle with their writing like I do?? I feel lie I am re-writing other stories my own way. I am so upset and feel like I'll never find my own voice..... Anyone know what I'm talking about?? :(

images.jpeg - 7kB
Auraya Kairi Black
JulNo Writer

Mood: Tired. I'm always tired.

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 07:22 AM

Sorta... Like I can pretty much only write HP fanfiction, and everything else comes out with characters that are like those in HP, and already overdone plots. But we can only hope that it gets better.

[Edited on 5-2-11 by Auraya Kairi Black]
dani.pink.cloud
JulNo Royalty

Mood: SO STOKED.
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled

[*] posted on 2-5-2011 at 04:25 PM

I can't say I always relate to that, but sometimes I come up with this great story and then I'm like, "Wait. Someone already did that. ._." But the advice I'll give is just to keep writing. It takes the actual, physical act of writing to get any better and find your own voice. So go write! :D

You musn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling.
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 2-27-2011 at 04:34 PM

I've had this feeling many times. Just remember, there are only a certain number of plots in the creative world. Take any book, and look at the plot and you will find numerous books like it. Just don't worry about it, give it your own spin, through in different twists and make it your own.

goodkitty
JulNo Member

Mood: really concerned =(
JulNoWriMo Title: Cure

[*] posted on 3-28-2011 at 07:36 PM

uh huh, ive felt like that a lot, then i get all guilty cause then everything i write feels like plaguerism. the best way ive found to get rid of that feeling is to point out all the differences between what my plot and the other books plot. just keep writing and your voice'll shine through =)

Aurora517
Experienced JulNo'er

Word Count: 50762 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 3-30-2011 at 04:47 AM

I know what you mean if I'm reading and then go off and do some writing I end up using descriptions and parts that I have just read only changed into my own words and then I have to backspace and restart:)
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 4-20-2011 at 07:16 AM

Ah, I have a perfect example. The book that I am going to write for JulNo '11 is a lot like the Mistborn trilogy, especially the main protagonist and the way the world is set up. But when I realized that, I started making it my own. I started making my differences, and that cured everything.

indigowriter2.0
JulNo Writer

Mood: Apprehensive!
JulNoWriMo Title: [Title Under Construction]

[*] posted on 5-22-2011 at 10:07 PM

Yes, I so know this feeling. I was thinking about writing a story with a circus theme, but I'm scared it will turn out too much like Water For Elephants. :embarrassed: Just keep bouncing ideas. You'll come up with a unique one soon enough! ;)

LET'S DO THIS THING!
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 5-23-2011 at 09:33 AM

Don't worry too much about having an original plot. Almost noone does, and the great writers often re-use other stories. Shakespeare? (To take an over-used example) None of the stories of his plays are originally his, they are rewrites of historical events, earlier stories or other plays from his time. Or perhaps he ha one - one - original story somewhere. No more.

Finding your own voice is not the same as finding stories/plots that have never been used. It is about finding your way of writing the stories. Re-telling other stories your way... sounds like you have your own voice, or in the proses of developing it.

I do know the feeling, though. I think one reason I began writing so late (in my early 30s), was that I could never come up with a story. I blocked myself, because I could not find anything original. It was all done before. Finding fanfiction, where original plot/characters are not that big a deal, helped me a lot. Also doing story-telling, which is all about taking an existing story and tell it your own way. Now I am no longer so embarrassed by what I write that I don't want to show it to anyone (though I still prefer the anonymity of posting under a pen-name on the net. I've not shown my writings to my family, and only few to any RL friends). And writing stories is fun, instead of a chore. (I used to avoid it as much as I could at school).

So, focus on telling a good story, not on telling an original one, and you might find that your stories start to feel new, even if they are reusing plots and motifs from other stories.

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
Spotterz
JulNo Member

Mood: Exciteddd c:
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled atm

[*] posted on 5-26-2011 at 07:42 PM

I do this all the time. XD I started writing and creating characters for this one novel I was writing. Then I had my friend read it, and she said it was like the Maximum Ride series. When I had gotten the idea, I had no clue that there was even a series called Maximum Ride. Ahah, not I've read the books, and the basic stories are almost the same. >_< I felt so stupid when I found out about it. lol I was super proud of my 'original' idea. Guess it wasn't so original. lolol XD But I think this year I've got a pretty solid story that shouldn't be too close to any other novels.
Annymosa
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-30-2011 at 08:19 PM

Have you read any writing theory? A good book on can teach you both the mechanics of plotting and how to find your writing voice. (Which, if you are writing from the character's PoV, is always changing. Acting books can help you here.)
If it all sounds a bit too familiar, try reading something unusual. Another style. Something you would never pick up. ;) Nothing can clear up the mess like a fresh, new voice. As for ideas already taken, raise the stakes and make the story more complex. Have fun writing! :D
Foodmoon
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-7-2011 at 11:52 PM

:) Have you ever heard that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery? Its true. But its also true that its hard to write in someone else's story-verse (story universe) and not screw it up, or to rewrite old ideas into something fresh and perfectly you.

O.oOne thing that helps is to just put your mind into "What if" mode and constantly ask yourself about the screwy or unusual options at every turn. There's nothing that requires you to use the same old cliches or the tried and true character responses.:rolleyes:

Finding your own voice takes time. Don't stress too much. Instead, try writing in the same style as various authors you admire/like/enjoy. Its a challenge. And after awhile, you WILL find your own style as naturally as breathing.

Another thing to try is different types of main characters and side characters. Why? Because writers tend to start off writing what they think they "should write". Many times, we as writers are not comfortable with such "should be" characters and plots, and we can't get any sort of good flow going. For example: I used to try to write female MCs and romance. Even I hated it. I switched to male MCs and things improved. Dropped romance as my keynote and went to fantasy with romance mixed in as a plot device now and then. I used to be doing good if I got 6pg stories before I got unalterable writer's block. Now I can write 30-80pgs before hitting a snag and I usually can come back later and write more, no problem. Part of that is experience and finding comfortable writing tools, but alot of it is just having dropped the "should writes" in the trash and just writing for the sheer fun of it.
:D Lots of luck with your writing. And remember, if what you're writing feels wrong and makes you mad just by writing it, it probably IS wrong and its perfectly okay to try it another way. Your way.
And if your MC s object to the change? Well, tell them to stuff it or you'll replace them!:X

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]