writer_mercia
JulNo Writer

Mood: Annoyed, and should be writing.
JulNoWriMo Title: Prince of Thieves

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-18-2010 at 02:21 PM
My next big project: Medieval Weaponry

I know, I know, ambitious of me. Wish me luck.

I am currently compiling a giant list of medieval weapons, armor, seige and fortification devices, and warfare strategies based on real and fictional events. Abitious, no?

I need ideas. I've got a list of medieval weapons, armor, and seige and fortification stuff, but warfare strategies? I can map out every battle in Lord of the Rings and Narnia, but I can't for the life of me think of the layout and strategy for any real-life battles.

So, here's what I need. I need battles from the period of 900 AD to 1900 AD. Yes, this includes the American War for Independence and the War Between the States. Anything you can give me. Credible websites with pictures would also be AMAZING.

I would also love every kind of medieval weapon since BEFORE the invention of gunpowder. This includes the use of animals in warfare.

I would love to get this up on a website, but I'll have to check with my Dad first, to see if he can find a good webhost for free. >.> I'll hafta ask him 'bout that.

I will probably be drawing my own pictures. So if you happen to notice any highly detailed pictures/drawings of anything listed above, send me the link. That would be MOST helpful. ^.^

So, there it is. My big project, for no other reason than to have a fun big project.

I think it deserves a new notebook. *wanders off to suggest this to someone*

"I'm a thief."
"You're a WHAT?"
"A thief. You know, the kind that steals."
jsights
JulNo Writer

Mood: Writerly
JulNoWriMo Title: Ravaged Heart

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 07:21 PM

In case you don't know, the Chinese started using gunpowder in warfare about 800-900AD, before the time frame you're looking for. It reached Europe in the 1200s.

Good luck in your project! That's massive (and fascinating)!

Wingman
JulNo Royalty

Mood: "Don't say its a fine morning or i'll shoot ya"-John Wayne
JulNoWriMo Title: The Conspiracy

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 08:04 PM

http://www.museumreplicas.com/default.aspx

One strategy that the scotts came up with is they bred Giant Schnauzers and they trained them to knock soldiers off their horses it was quite impressive

Communication was done through musical signals, audible commands, messengers, or visual signals such as raising a standard, banner, or flag.

"The infantry, including missile troops, would typically be employed at the outset of the battle to break open infantry formations while the cavalry attempted to defeat its opposing number. Perhaps the most important technological advancement for medieval warfare in Europe was the invention of the stirrup. It most likely came to Europe with the Avars in the 600's AD, although it was not properly adopted by the major European powers until the 900's AD[1]. Once one side coaxed their opposing infantry into breaking formation, the cavalry would be deployed in attempt to exploit the loss of cohesion in the opposing infantry lines and begin slaying the infantrymen from horse top. Once a break in the lines was exploited, the cavalry became instrumental to victory - causing further breakage in the lines and wreaking havoc amongst the infantrymen, as it is much easier to kill a man from the top of a horse than to stand on the ground and face a half-ton destrier carrying an armed knight. However, until a significant break in the enemy infantry lines arose, the cavalry could not be used to much effect against infantry since horses are not easily harried into a wall of pikemen. Pure infantry conflicts would be drawn-out affairs."

This link might help it seems to have a lot of good info what i could tell
http://medieval-castles.org/index.php?cat=16

"Talk low Talk slow and don't say too much"-John Wayne

What ever you do don't forget to save Save
SAVE! AND I MEAN IT

Writers Creatures of the night
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 01:49 AM

Hmm. I thought I replied to this.

There are a lot of information about warfare around, do you only want online recourses or all types? I have not really seen very detailed online recourses I fear, but I do know that there are a lot of written manuals etc.

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
writer_mercia
JulNo Writer

Mood: Annoyed, and should be writing.
JulNoWriMo Title: Prince of Thieves

[*] posted on 7-20-2010 at 02:49 PM

Oooo. Written sources would be awesome. *is planning trip to the library armed with an arsenal of notebooks and pencils*

"I'm a thief."
"You're a WHAT?"
"A thief. You know, the kind that steals."
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 04:58 PM

There are two main traditions used by those that reconstruct medieval fighting, as far as I know: German and Italian. The German style is called Lichtenhaler, after one of the fencing masters, and the Italian Fiore, also after a fencingmaster. There are some info on this site: http://www.thearma.org/manuals.htm

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
leafdarking
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 12:58 AM

You might want check out the Art of War, by Sun Tzu, for basic military strategy. It was written before your time frame but it's been used throughout history, and (to rip off Wikipedia) "is one of the oldest and most successful books on military strategy." It was translated into French in the 1700s so it could be applicable.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War <--Wiki about it

http://chinese.dsturgeon.net/text.pl?node=20908&if=en <-- the whole thing online

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]