JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] [Cyberpunk/Political Thriller] Spanner
DennisJernberg
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos Angel Spanner, Book 2

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 04:57 AM
[Cyberpunk/Political Thriller] Spanner

spanner -- Brit for "monkeywrench"

In the year 2014, America is under the ruthless domination of Operation Permanent Republican Administration, fused into the EuroAmerican Union by the all-powerful United Corporations cartel. Corporations, not people, are citizens with rights; people are merely resources for corporations to exploit. Now word has leaked that the corporations plan to replace humanity altogether.

Enter Spanner. The Angel of Chaos.

By day, Shira Thomas is a teenage quasi-celebrity notorious for her pranks and for hitting on every attractive person in sight (gender not important). Less well known is that she is a martial artist, parkour devotee, wilderness tracker, and licensed Player. By night, she's a reality hacker who hacks the Corporatist system to bring it down. She's joined by the legendary Wrecking Krewe that stopped Dictel Corporation, the world's largest and most dangerous military corporation, from overthrowing America six years earlier.

I've been working on this story since 1992. It's the reason I started teaching myself to draw comics. In 2006, when I did my first NaNoWriMo, I put it aside to start writing prequels and side stories. I'm done with that. The prequels and side stories can wait. The manga version can wait, too. I'm now writing Spanner as a novel. But I'm keeping all the cyberpunk influences and homages intact, from Blade Runner and the original Macintosh "1984" commercial to Max Headroom and The Matrix. Some of the homages are obscure: the title "Incorporated" from a Bruce Sterling short story ("Her name was Arkadya Sorienti, Incorporated") and the line "Put him out of my misery! Kill him!" from the cyberpunk comic book the legendary Neal Adams did in the '90s, CyberRad. And, of course, novels. Lots of novels.

I started late. Until the 14th, I was busy procrastinating. I hoped to finish my troublesome '07 NaNo novel Bad Company, a prequel set in '07 and '08. The missing plotlines wouldn't come, alas. Then I dreamed Spanner chapter 2, and then I wrote it down in a creative frenzy. And then on the 16th I wrote the chapter 1 I've been planning for the last decade, in the version I envisioned last month, in which Steve Jobs himself plays the Big Brother role in the "1984" ad. It's wild stuff. Once I edit it, I'll serialize it on my project blog and promote it.

Chapters 1 and 2 are complete, save some tweaks I'll do during the editing stage. The prologue is almost finished. I've got chapter 3 plotted. It's wild and crazy, and it's coming out fast and furious. So far, I'm up to 7,756 words for the month, but it looks like I'll win this JulNo. Besides, Panic Time is just around the corner...

New Spanner installments now posted daily!
Hear me rock at 50/90!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dennis_jernberg
Project Blog: Spanner's World
DennisJernberg
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos Angel Spanner, Book 2

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 01:13 AM

In the 5 days since I posted here last, I've added a passage each to chapters 1 and 2, more intensively plotted chapters 3 through 8, wrote parts of chapters 3 and 4, and wrote most of chapter 5 (except for the introduction of Ruby and her daughter Belle, and the meeting of hacker Debaser with Cyphers, Alex Plus, and POW during which all the talk is all about Spanner). I've even plotted the end, and today I wrote the entire first chapter to book 2, in which things get really strange starting with our heroine's yuri marriage to her favorite loli, followed by her return to Seattle wearing video body paint (a cyberpunk idea I've been planning for Spanner for at least a decade), using it to first cause a sensation and then to defeat a gang of religious terrorists with a "demon attack".

That chapter could be a self-contained short story in its own right (called "Video Skin"), and it was directly inspired by a Pat Cadigan cyberpunk short story called "Pretty Boy Crossover", which is about a pop star who turns himself into a video by uploading out of his body. Shira (under whatever name she uses in book 2; in this chapter she's named Fee Rebel Styles) turns herself into a video a completely different way, with high-tech body paint she imports from Japan. Talk about bringing Akihabara home with you -- painted on your bare skin, in fact. The name change theme came from a book by 20th-century futurist FM-2030, who says in one chapter of Are You a Transhuman? that a fluid person changes their name as their sense of identity changes; in book 2, Shira changes her name and handle the way people change cellphone numbers.

This is starting to get interesting, and just as Panic Time is about to begin...

New Spanner installments now posted daily!
Hear me rock at 50/90!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dennis_jernberg
Project Blog: Spanner's World

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]