JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] [Fiction - Horror/Thriller] Sleight
LoveLikeRockets177
JulNo Writer

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-13-2010 at 04:33 PM
[Fiction - Horror/Thriller] Sleight

Hey everyone. I like these update things, because you can get a more detailed look at how everyone's story is going.

Well, originally I was novelizing my Script Frenzy script from this year, because it wasn't working as a script - and I'm crap when it comes to playwriting. It was a complicated plot involving a school for "gifted" students (with quirks, powers, talents, what-have-you) where a runaway boy, Henry, who lives with and works for a traveling circus hides the fact that he really doesn't have magical powers. But then there was this Magician's Mafia, and they were after this girl who ends up hiding with them and offer him real powers in exchange for the girl...yadda yadda yadda...complicated, ridiculous, complicated, blah blah blah. Crap.

Haha, it really was not very good. Entertaining, yes! But not good.

But! As if a sign from the Big Guy above Himself, my computer crashed last Friday and I lost everything - including the crappy Screnzy script which no longer exists! :D So now, although it sucks word-count wise - I need to start all over!

So, Henry has aged a bit, become a bit bummier, and is a retired magician on the run after a trick goes sour. But then he recieves a letter from the man he supposedly "killed" inviting him to an event, and things unfold in an Agatha Christie-like manner. (I'm a sucker for horror.)

Okay, so I don't entirely know what's going to happen. (Suggestions are greatly welcomed and encouraged!) It will definitely have a magician who is affected by the fact that he accidentally killed someone during one of his tricks. That's a must. Anything else can happen. :)

We'll see how this goes, I guess.

[Edited on 7-13-2010 by LoveLikeRockets177]
LoveLikeRockets177
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 12:22 PM

Okay, so my new novel has begun. So far, there's been a consensus on the new and perhaps not-so-improved (as he's now kind of a bum) Henry: He's amazing. I'm not quite at my old word count yet, but the goal for today is to get to that.

Right now, Henry has been invited to a get-together by the man he accidentally killed during a trick he performed nearly four years ago. (He hasn't done magic since.) Confused, and yet compelled to go, Henry arrives at this rather ritzy affair and immediately meets the beautiful Miss Hannah Bernhardt. She seems to have taken a liking to Mr. Henry, and vice versa...though this is to be expected, since she is the first woman Henry's come into contact with in years. Hannah informs him that there is no one by the name of Jacob Bloor (the name of the man who invited him) at the house, and the owner is, in fact, a woman under the name of Miss Ebony Shriver. Henry, still very confused, doesn't argue and begins to wonder if he'd been invited by accident - confused with another Henry Vaillencourt. He is excited to be able to play someone other than himself however.

Henry has just been led to dinner by the wealthy William Gregory Winston IV, and introduced to the very large and gossipy, Ms. Elizabeth "Bette" Mulberry and her arch-enemy (of sorts) Miss Crick, a frail old woman who's very keen on knitting carrot-shaped objects.

More characters are to come, which is going to be the hardest part, I think. But that's what's happened so far. I'm liking it a lot more than my original plot. I am, and always be, a suspense writer. There's something tantilizing about the idea of slowly losing your mind, or an impending death. I like to be kept on my toes, so naturally, I like to keep others on their toes as well. I've thought about how the story is going to end, and it's been shot down, naturally, by Miss Cellanea and kit_0_kat, who are the wonderful ladies I do my write-ins with. But we've come up with a better ending where both of us are satisfied. :D

I love cliffhangers. I'm an evil author.

I feel really bad for my characters.
LoveLikeRockets177
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 10:16 AM

Here is the original cover of Sleight. :) It might have to be changed a little bit since the plots changed, but I still think it'll work.

I've finally caught up with my original word count and I'm hopefully going to be able to finish this on time. I'm still behind, but I'm going to try and get ahead.

So far, the game has been revealed. They have all just learned that each of them holds a very dark secret, and that the chance to be relieved of their own secret (and have a normal life again) waits at the finish line of the game. However, only one person can win, so they're each given a game piece: a weapon of the director's choosing. Collecting each of the secrets, they have to decide who to trust, and who it's best to avoid, and whether or not lying is worth potentially being killed over.

Here's an excerpt from shortly after they find out they're being blackmailed. I rather liked it.

Quote:

“Well…” Bette averted her eyes, shifting uncomfortably. “Considerin’ everythin’, Mr. Vaillencourt, I really don’t think I’m in any position to be talkin’ about anyone else…”

“They’ve just come into the money,” Hannah answered when Bette stalled. “The details are foggy, but they literally just got all this money out of the blue. Can’t you tell?” she laughed nervously, bringing her eyes up to meet Henry’s. “They show it off like we’d all treat them differently if they weren’t as rich as the rest of us.”

“Do you think they cheated their way into it?” Henry asked.

Bette looked up quickly. “Do you think that’s what it is?”

“That’s what the letter said, didn’t it? Some people were liars, some were cheats…” Henry said, shrugging a little. He was honestly trying to figure it all out himself, but he could already tell a rumor would stem from their conversation. One of these women would leave the room with a story to tell someone else. It was all part of the game. The butler had been wrong. It didn’t start once they read their individual letters. It started as soon as they set foot in the house. Everything they saw, heard and did would come into play.

“They could have stolen the money,” Hannah added. “Perhaps they’re thieves. Dick and Jane type of deal.”

“And maybe they’re not really married,” Miss Crick butt in, suddenly getting to her feet. The look of disgust on her face was unmistakable. “Gossip, gossip, gossip. You three are all going to get yourselves into more trouble than you can handle.”

The three of them watched her as she crossed to the door, excusing herself for the night. Bette sighed heavily and stood as well, pausing for only a moment as she passed the remaining couple.

“As much as I hate to admit it, the crazy old woman’s right,” she watched them, her eyes holding a slight trace of sadness. “You best be careful what you tell people. Even each other. We have to remember this is a game. We all have to remember that.”

Her eyes moved back and forth between the two of them. She opened her mouth to speak again, but stopped short, frowning a little. She left very slowly, glancing back at the two of them once more before leaving them alone.

Hannah’s hand slipped down to Henry’s, gripping it gently. He knew she wanted to say something, but she refused to say it. Bette’s strange behavior told him she had more to hide than she was willing to admit. Henry didn’t care much for her secrets, or the secrets of the young couple who somehow inherited a fortune out of the blue, but as for the woman sitting next to him, he wanted to know everything.

Her lips brushed his ear. “I have nothing to hide,” she whispered.

I don't know. I really liked this part. I like Hannah a lot, which is good because I didn't like her at all in the first version of my story. I hope you guys like it too.

I'm excited for the next couple chapters. They'll definitely be more intense. :)

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]