Author: Subject: Historical hair-dye
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 10:28 AM
Historical hair-dye

Anyone that knows about historical hair-dyes? I am looking for something that will dye hair dark, preferably some plant/herb dye that could have been found in Europe before the Renaissance. Well, preferably before 1200, but it is a fantasy-setting, so I am not too picky on the year as long as it is mediaeval-ish or earlier. Place I am more picky on - the geography should roughly correspond to southern Europe.

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket
Savara
JulNo Writer

Mood: Hopeful
JulNoWriMo Title: The Obsidian Shifters

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 10:44 AM

I know some types of henna/indigo can dye hair as dark as very near black :) (I used to hang around on some natural hair care communities over at livejournal)... However, I don't know whether that was around during medieval times, let alone in Europe... but maybe by trading? ^_~

Weakness and strength are so closely related, it is hard to discern which action indicates which characteristic. - Empress Eiliana of Kayga

Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 11:03 AM

Thanks!

Henna is very old, and I think it might have been used in Egypt at least. That is near enough that it could have made its way there by trade. Thanks, it is a very good option if I do not find any indigenous plants, which would suit my story better, but I need the hair dyed, so skipping it is not an option ;)

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]