a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 10:46 AM
[Science Fiction] Flux

Hey everyone :) This is my first overall WriMo, and I am 99% positive I will win.

My book, Flux, starts when our main characters, Flux and Aero, who just happen to be part of a very powerful intergalactic gang, abbreviated P.E.S.T., escape their bonds in a spaceship headed for a maximum security prison. They go to land it on a deserted planet, but something goes wrong and their thrusters go out. When they crash-land, twenty people survived. These twenty people set about putting the ship back together, but Flux and Aero fear being turned in as soon as they escape the planet, which they named R1. As they begin plotting the untimely demise of the other survivors, they make a few friends, who they invite to help them rebuild their scattered and betrayed gang.

Yeah. That is about it. I am almost 15,000 words in, and they are going to get off of the planet within another 10,000, I bet.

There are lots of little sub-plots, the relationship between Flux and Aero, one of their new gang member's oddities, and a few other characters that really cause some chaos.

KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:02 AM

Ooh, so cool. I'm watching you! Out of curiosity, how will this end? The gang coming together and going off to terrorize the galaxy, or do they reform to some extent?

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:12 AM

Telling you that would be spoiling it!

Hehe. Can't wait to see how it turns out Nicole. Can I haz reads once it's finished?

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:20 AM

I can tell you that once they get off of the planet, they go around trying to rescue the other members of their gang to rebuild it. They were betrayed right before the book starts. I am thinking about adding in a flashback to that... Along with another about when Flux saved Aero's life.

cheyenne, of course you can read it! It will need a little editing, but I would be glad to have your input. :)

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:21 AM

Yay! *happy dance*

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 02:54 PM

And off we go... Their space ship is about to leave the planet.

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 11:42 AM

Stopping on a planet to get a better ship on a nearby planet after a huge flashback.

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 01:50 PM

An excerpt from a conversation between Aero and Flux which leads into a long flashback, which is one of my favorite parts I have written. :)

By the way, the first line is Aero's. If you had read the entire thing you would be able to figure that out.

'"You know when you are the best looking? When you smile. I know, everyone says that. It is really cheesy, but I love your smile. It is so... Beautiful. It reminds me of the moon over my home planet. The moon was so beautiful there. I miss it, but you remind me of it so much. I never have to be home sick when I am with you."
"Your home planet?"
"Did I never tell you? I was born on an all aquatic planet. I do not remember what it was called. Al... Alpha... Al something. Anyway, my parents were their trainers for the military there."
"That is where you learned to do..."
"Yeah. My parents taught me. They were really nice people. I miss them sometimes." Aero looked over at Flux. She had looked away from him. He let out a long sigh. For some reason, she was very upset by how her parents had treated her. It was understandable, but still sad for him. Why was she not stronger than that?
Flux looked up at Aero. "Sorry. Just... bad memories."
"Why? Flux you have never been able to get over this. I bet if I dumped you right here and now, you would not be as affected with is as how much are with your parents."
"You would be surprised. You mean more to me now, Aero."
"No Flux, no one can go forever without a family."
"The gang is my family."
"Flux, stop being like that. You know what I mean. What happened?"
"You do not want to know. It is a bad story."
"I do want to know. Tell me."
"I do not know, Aero. It is not exactly a story I like to tell."
"When was the last time you did?"
"Never."
"Then you are never going to get any better. The family thing will always hang over your head. I can help, I promise."
Flux looked at him. "You pay attention to where you are going. But I will tell you." Aero put his hands securely on the wheel and turned his eyes to the empty space in front of them. "Alright, my mother was a human from a fairly well known upper middle class family. My father, on the other hand, was an alien."
"Hence the..." Aero indicated his face, and then hers.
"The skin color? Yes. Anyway, when I was born, my mother was appalled. She never really knew the man, and it was an embarrassment to her and her family. She knew she would have to get rid of me, so she took a knife and put it in me. Straight through the heart."
Aero's eyes widened. "But you are alright."
"Yes, I am fine..."
Aero interrupted her by putting his hand on her chest. "I can feel the stitches."
"It never healed all of the way."
"Does it hurt still?"
"A little. Mostly when I try to bend over or someone touches it."
Aero snatched his hand back. "I am sorry. I did not know."
"It is fine. It only really hurts if you really push on it or hit it." Aero put his hand back on the steering wheel.
"That is good to know." Aero locked his eyes back on the space in front of him. "So how did you survive?"
"She went to throw me in the trash, and some old man walked by. He found me and brought me to the police. They managed to rescue me, then my mom got arrested. They put me in a foster home, from which I escaped. Then I started my life as you know it. Eventually, a bunch of my friends and I officially got organized and made PEST."
"And I am glad you did." Aero was staring blankly out the window, afraid to show his emotion.
"Then I found you."
"Which I am even more glad for. You saved my life back there sweetie." He finally smiled. It was a really fond memory of his.'

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-10-2010 at 01:47 AM

Flux had a nightmare:

Quote:
It was bright, dazzlingly so. It was as if she had just stared at the sun for hours, but with more pain. Her entire head was throbbing crazily; she could not think straight. Finally, her head cleared and she was able to think. Blinking rapidly, she was able to clear the brightness from her eyes, revealing a familiar house. She was back in headquarters. Around her, her entire gang milled about, going about their daily activities. Veronica went by, chatting happily with Justine about her hair, which she was fixing as she walked.
Justine! Flux hurried over to her, tapping her on the shoulder. Sure enough, Justine turned around.
Oh hey Flux, Veronica and I just finished the laundry, we were going to go eat some lunch at Camilles. You want to come along? Justine could not possibly be dead, Flux decided; she was standing right there in front of her.
Flux shook her head, partially to say no and partially to clear her head. That is alright, I have some things I have to get to first. Official crap, you know.
Veronica nodded, smiling. Alright, have fun then, she winked as she walked out the door with Justine. Flux turned to walk down the main hallway, and ran into Aero.
Aero! she exclaimed, throwing her arms around him fondly, What what is going on? Why is everyone here?
Aero cocked his head to the side, what are you talking about, Flux? We are always here. Why? Should we be somewhere else?
Flux could not respond. She stuttered for a few moments, staring at Aero with an open mouth. No, you you are all in the right place. I must be going insane or something. What were you up too?
He removed himself from the tight embrace she held him in. I just finished training with Oliver, like I do every Friday. Are you alright, Flux?
Friday? What is todays date? Flux caught her breath. If today was
The tenth of April. Are you sure you are alright? Do you need to lie down or something? You are not being yourself.
If today was the tenth, Flux thought, then today was the day. No, I am fine. How is Oliver doing?
He is doing great actually. I did not expect much out of him, but he did not fail to impress. Troy began to walk back down the hallway, so Flux followed him.
Good, good. I like to hear that. Why do we not go have some lunch together? I am getting hungry.
Aero narrowed his eyes. Flux was definitely not being herself. I would love to, Flux, but I have to get back to helping Oliver. You know that.
Oliver should come too, he needs to know this. Flux grabbed his hand and pulled Aero towards the door hurridly, but Aero stopped in his tracks.
Flux, you should go to the doctor or something. You are acting really weird right now, and it is starting to scare me. Then Flux heard a knocking at the door. This was it, the end. A tear ran down her cheek. Flux, what is it? Why are you crying? Aero hugged her, casting a confused glance around to the others.
They are the police, and they came to kill us all. Flux was sobbing onto Aeros shirt. He stroked her hair.
We are going to be fine, Flux. I am sure someone just ordered pizza. Aero walked towards the door and opened it, despite Fluxs sobbing protests. He turned to doorknob and opened the door, revealing a squad of well-armed policemen.
Bang! Bang! Bang! Click! Bang! Bang! Bang! Click Flux heard the familiar sound of a shotgun and pulled Aero to the ground, hoping to save him, but she was too late. His warm, limp body lay across her lap, his mouth and eyes wide open. Her tears fell in a torrent, mixing with his blood to create a red river flowing into a puddle on the ground next to her feet. Within a split second, though, a bullet to the head ended her pain. She watched in morbid fascination as a single bullet flew out of the barrel of a gun towards her hand amazingly slowly. She assumed that she could have dodged it, but she did not want to bother to try. Instead, she waited patiently for the shell to pierce her skull in the nose. Her last sight was of blood spurting from her nose, until blackness took over.

This brings me close to 30,000 words (about 29,400), which I am going to make before I fall asleep. Wow... it is 1:45 AM. Better type faster!

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 12:01 AM

Gave my characters a karaoke machine! Perfect for boosting word count, especially since they have to talk about what song to sing, sing it, and you can go into deep thought about the messages in a song and anything else that suits your fancy, like the singer's good voice or lack of one, and how that affects the song overall, or maybe... (You get the point)

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 09:05 PM

YAY! My 50,000th word wasn't that exciting, but it was 'human'.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 12:50 AM

Congrats!

<could we maybe have some excerpts?>

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-16-2010 at 09:19 PM

Thanks cheyenne :D

This bit is a good way back, but I need to put it here or you wouldn't understand the rest.

Quote:
We need to regroup fast. Flux was sitting on the deck with Aero and Oliver around the table, a large map of the galaxy in front of them. She had a large red marker in her hand and was marking off each planet that had old gang mates and friends there. She used a black to mark off where potentials resided, or were last known to be. Aero had a pencil in his hand and was trying to connect a path that they should take to pick up as many of their closest friends and members as fast as possible, while avoiding the large blue dots that were police bases and hot spots.
We should go over here to Tartarus first, Oliver tapped on Tartarus, which was covered in red dots, with his black pen.
I agree. We have the most operatives and potentials there, and we do not have to go near any police bases to get there. We could make the trip in two days, or less if we could have everyone meet us at one place. Aero sketched out a direct line to Tartarus.
Who are we going to pick up though? That entire planet is covered in potentials. Flux circled the planet, as if to indicate that there were more marks to be made, but no room to make them.
We get ours first. Then we worry about potentials. We may have lots a lot of guys, but we are not that desperate, yet. Aero traced her circle with the eraser of his pencil absentmindedly.
Of course we are not that desperate, but what about when we are? We need to be prepared for the worst. Oliver was chewing on the end to his pen, studying the map.
We can get lots of our guys back in one day. Then we can get some more ships together and everyone can pitch in to getting ourselves together. Then, we will have the strength to go after everyone who got locked up. Sounds worthwhile to me. What do you say, Flux? Aero looked up at her, tearing his eyes away from the map.
I think it is definitely worth it. Our guys are worth the time and effort, do you think not? Flux looked up at him.
They are more than worth it. Aero sighed. He wanted to see his old friends again, but he would miss the intimacy the group of them had gained, especially with Flux. When she had to go back to being the leader, would she have the time to talk to him as often as they could now. He felt a little nervous, but there was nothing to be done now. Whatever happened happened, he thought.
Good, I am glad we are all on the same page. Who are we going to send? Flux tapped her marker on the table.
I want to come, and I am sure Oliver does as well. The three of us can go. Aero made her stop tapping the table.
Alright, but I want Stephenie to come as well. I think it is a good time to show her how we get thinks done. Flux settled to twirling the marker between her fingers.
That settles it, does it not? We can set off tomorrow around lunch, pick everyone up at Joes around midnight, turn around and book it back here like a bat out of hell. Aero looked over the map again. I guess we should get some sleep, then. Seems like we have a busy day tomorrow, and we probably will not get much sleep.
Alright, bedtime for us kiddies. Flux rolled up the map and put it into a cardboard tube. The guys handed her their writing utensils, which she carried in her hand. They went to their rooms and, after a few happy good nights, laid down for the night. They had already changed into their bedclothes, so they only had to crawl into bed. The others had given Flux most of the extra blankets, so she stayed warm through the night.

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 04:10 AM

I haven't written any particularly exciting scenes, just a bunch of "average" ones, so I'll post one of them at random. :-/

Quote:
Flux looked around, making sure the coast was clear, and then hurried everyone inside. Alright, lets regroup with everyone else. I hope they all made it inside safely. She crept forward, noticed a security camera, and cursed under her breath. That camera had been there last time. She should have known it would still be there. She studied it for a moment, and realized it wasnt turned on. The red record light was dim. Waving at her friends to relax, she straightened and hurried across the lobby to the counters. Where was that off switch again?
Got it already. Veronica hurried back to them. It is on that wall back there if you need to know, she gestured over her shoulder at the far corner.
Thanks. So someone has already been in here, by the looks of that camera. Flux looked over at Zack, who seemed confused. The red light that means the camera is on should be flashing, but it is not.
Zack nodded. Cool. So that means we can go?
Sort of. Veronica just turned off the motion sensors, so now we should be safe. Flux took a deep breath and threw herself over the counter. She felt her body tense, the adrenaline pumping. If those sensors hadnt been turned off, or others had been installed, she would be dead within seconds. She squeezed her eyes closed, listening to her own steady heartbeat.
Thump. Thump. Thump.
Flux let out a long breath. She was alive. Alright guys, it is safe. Come on.
Veronica followed first, and the rest of the team followed her. They walked down the hallway in front of them, turning on a light as they went. As they turned the corner, they found the door to the vault was already open. Aero? Oliver? Flux leveled her gun. For all she knew this was a trap.
Flux? Aeros head poked out of the vault and she left out a long sigh.
Hey. Did you guys turn off that security camera?
Yeah. They were all connected to one power source. Idiots. Aero walked over to them. Come on in.
Flux smiled and wrapped an arm around his waist, keeping a gun in her other hand. One power source? Who taught them to hook up security cameras?
Im not quite sure, but I love them, whoever they are. Aero led them into the vault, where their friends were already working on shoveling money into bags and purses.
Flux walked over to Oliver, who was shoveling hundreds into his pants pocket. Wow, how long have you been in here?
Oliver barely looked up. A few minutes. What took you so long?
Well we didnt know that the security systems were down. We thought we were so dead. Flux shivered thinking of it.
You know we wouldnt do that. Oliver smiled, standing up. I think thats all I can carry, you guys want to load up and we can get out of here?
Works for me. Flux knelt over and shoveled a few stacks of bills into her pocket. The rest of her crew followed suit. We ready?
Looks like, lets get out of here fast. Aero took a final stack and walked out of the vault. When everyone was out, he closed the huge door, with a little help. Oliver led them out the same way he had entered. They emerged into the dark, damp alley and took a right. A few steps later, they were walking down the street towards their house. Arms slung around each other, they looked exactly like a group of young men and women out for a night on the town, and attracted no suspicion on their way home.
Flux smiled. This was what she had been thinking about earlier. She felt so much safer here than she would if she was surrounded by an entire armorys worth of guns. With a sigh, she fingered the dollar bills in her pocket. It brought her to a question. Them or this? If worst came to worst, would she choose her friends or money?
The answer was obvious. She loved these people. They meant more to her than anything ever had. But what if?
Hey Flux, you alright? Aero was holding the door open for her. She looked around quickly; she didnt remember getting here.
Flux shook her head ferociously, trying to wake up. Sorry, I was just thinking.
I know. Lets get inside before anyone follows us. Aero closed the door quietly behind himself.

Oh well, great wording is for editing.:rolleyes:

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 05:05 PM

I'm having issues after finishing Flux. I need 31,600 more words! :-/ I'm thinking about starting my AugNo novel now, then continuing it in August. 8-)

KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 12:22 PM

Wow, your exerts left me wanting more.;) Good sign, right? Yes, start the AugNo now.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]