Author: Subject: Poking an eye out
DaeBrayk
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Driftwood Souls

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:06 PM
Poking an eye out

So my main character (something of a villain protagonist) has a trademark attack of stabbing out one of his opponants eyes, with either a sharp stick or a sword, to the point that after a few years he has hordes of one-eyed people out for his blood.

I think the question is, how hard would it be to stab someone's eye out? I mean, how much force to get through the eyelid and how hard is it to get a sword up to a person's face without being deflected?

;)Thanks

Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing.

-E.L. Doctrow
purple_ink_pen
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!
JulNoWriMo Title: Z-Day

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:00 PM

Like, knife in the eyeball, or scooped out of head? Either way, not much. I mean, a pound of pressure is all you need to cut skin. I can't think the occural membrane is tougher. Plus, they scoop the eyes out to do some brain surgeries. So it can't be that bad.

Now, how easy it is to stab someone in the eye? Harder. Most people instinctively move away from things touching their face and eyes. Once something is more than about 5-6 inches away, it moves out of focus and becomes hard to see, so our sight based brain moves us back to where we can see it clearly. If he incapacitates them first, though (Stunning blow to the head, shot to solar plexis to force air from lungs, leg sweep and pounce combo to get them on the ground) it would be believable. And there's always that heroic kill shot, where violating the laws of physics is fine for a few seconds.

Screnzy10: Guns Blazing (Win!)
NaNo08: Wirebreadth (Win!)
SeptNo08: Keepers of Glory- Winter Flowers (Win!)
AugNo08: Baked (Win!)
JulNo08: A Starless Sky (Win!)
SolNo08: Space Piracy For Great Justice! (Working Title) (Win)
Screnzy07: Smoke Rings (Win)
DaeBrayk
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Driftwood Souls

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:03 PM

Knife (pointy stick) in the eyeball.

Aright, when he starts doing this, he's a little kid with a pointy stick and it's the middle of the night, so I'm gunna chalk that up to people not expecting much of a fight from him, and not seeing it coming.

Later, how bout if he grabs them by the ear/hair and holds their heads in place? :confused:

God, this is greusome :P

Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing.

-E.L. Doctrow
Daxne
JulNo Writer

Mood: Feeling good!
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled

Word Count: 6912 / 50000
Word Count Start14% Complete86% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:31 PM

As long as the victim can't move their head you should be fine.
I agree with purple_ink_pen, people instinctively move their heads back when they see something approaching, so just make sure that the victim's head can't move, or that they can't see it coming. Though it might be harder to keep the victim from seeing a sharp pointy stick/knife coming for them...unless they're blind, which might be an interesting idea to explore.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

thecandiedmango
JulNo Writer

Mood: pregnant
JulNoWriMo Title: Mercy (essentially untitled)

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 12:02 PM

Stealing eyes from the blind would be hilarious.

I actually think that, as far as removing the eye goes, a hand might be more effective. A knife or stick would just gunk things up in there, sort of 'popping' the eyeball and blinding the person, but fingers can be used to actually grab the eyeball and pull it from the skull. That would be extra gross/disturbing, if that's what you're going for.
Ragnelle
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Where the Grass Grows Green book II

[*] posted on 7-11-2010 at 11:23 AM

Stabbing or hewing at the head is the most usual attack in European sword-fighting. Though people instinctively move to protect their face, it is hard to avoid if the attack is swift. I would agree that holding the victim in place would be better for a 'calling-card', especially if he is not trying to kill them. It is possible to survive being stabbed in the eye, but in a fight there is a clear risk that you'd die if stabbed in the eye. It depends on how far into the brain the knife or sword penetrates.

Practising Dyslexic. Do not let ortographical digressions interfere with the intentions of this statement.

Ever tried? Ever Failed? No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better. - Samuel Becket

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]