JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: JulNoWriMo Progress Reports] [(Dark?) Fantasy] Mortality
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 11:28 AM
[(Dark?) Fantasy] Mortality

Okay, so I've decided to keep those of you that care updated on my progress/sanity (or lack thereof) and anything else having to do with the novel. For those of you that haven't seen it... My cover, thanks to BurntToast.

My short Synopsis...

Born in a small human settlement, the young girl should never have been anything special. However, he blood held the key to something, something no one imagined possible. In her blood lies the path to mortality. That's right. Mortality. You see, some vampires, don't want to be vampires. They don't want to be monsters that cause pain and suffering. The want to go back to their old lives, live, love, have a family, and then die. But there are also those vampires that find their existence a blessing. They feel like gods, never aging, never dying. They decide who lives, who dies, and who gets to join them. They are out to stop the mortality of vampires at any cost.

Short piece from what's written so far:

Soon after he exited his room and had made his way back out into the throng of elves he was on his way back to the elder's dwelling when he was accosted by a young elven girl. She smiled brightly at him but the smile was replaced by a scowl when she noticed he was geared up to leave.

"Where are you going, Cenalem? You cannot leave without the elder's permission you know." She placed her hands on her hips, confident that the mere fact she didn't want him to go that he would stay.

A hand clamped down on Cenalem's shoulder before he could answer the annoying little elfin girl. "He is coming with me and we do have the permission of all five elders, just so you know." Ala stopped there as if keeping herself from saying something she would regret.

"Is this why you weren't at the graduation?" The pouting elfin girl asked.

"Yes, Harala, not that it is any of your business, but I was with Ala." He answered, emboldened now that Ala was at his side.

Before the annoying girl could utter a single word more, Ala held up a hand, stopping her before she had began. "Now, you are making us late, so we will take our leave." She paused and added, almost as an afterthought, "Oh, and don't pout so much, jealousy only makes you ugly."

Leaving the vain, elfin maiden thinking over her words, Ala turned to make her way to the tree where the elders waited, Blade and Cenalem at her heels. Silently fuming, most elves steered out of her path once they caught sight of the look of murderous rage that seemed to be permanently etched into her face, as if she were carved from stone and a skilled artiste had taken and engraved the expression into an otherwise blank stone. One brave, or stupid, elf approached her. He flinched as she glared at him, but stopped and allowed him to speak, as he was a friend.

Skipping pleasantries he launched right into what he had to say. "Is it true? Are we really under the threat of invasion, or siege, by a host of Vampires? Why were you speaking to the elders? Does it have something to do with the Vampires? Is the threat even real?" He paused for breath.

Before he could launch into more questions, Ala answered him. "Yes, it's true, to a point. There has been no threat issued as far as I know, and they are not here to invade the school. We were speaking to the elders about the Vampires, yes, But in an indirect way. I must leave, Lief. I cannot remain here without putting all of you in danger." She paused, letting the information sink in.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 01:43 PM

Yes! *happy dance* Just caught up on my word count and even over a little bit! Thank you Suasoria for the 20 minute Word War!

New quote from most recent 945 words!

Damon sighed, running a hand through his hair, as Nicholai stepped forward to challenge him. "Why return? We need the girl and cannot risk letting her slip through our grasp! It has taken us so long to find the last thread of the family and now you are saying we should just give up?! We should take her by force!"

A couple vampires spoke up, agreeing with him. Some did so halfheartedly, some wholeheartedly, but only a few disagreed openly. Hope and the group she was with, remained playing cards, they seemed to be on the outskirts of the decisions, just going with the flow. Nothing they did would result in a change. But Hope stood up, walking up to stand beside Damon. She turned to face Nicholai.

"Who was placed in charge here, Nicholai Vos Damos? You or Damon? We were instructed to bring no harm to the girl, were we not? What would be the point in doing her or the ones that have sheltered her harm? If we harmed her, she would be less likely to help us, am I wrong?" She looked to each of the vampires one by one, looking last to Nicholai, a challenge in her gaze.

Most of the gathered muttered about the uselessness of it all if she wouldn't help. And Nicholai was left alone,
looking as a pariah on the outskirts of society. He was not completely alone though, he had his own little clique that stood behind him, a group of four or five others. A tall woman stood at his side, her long stark red hair glowing in the light from the largest moon, Biru Tan. She stood at his arm with a sour look as she took in Damon, the look of a lover scorned. Or wannabe lover.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 03:50 PM

Just did another 20 minute word war. So much fun! And I'm hoping to hit the 10k mark today! Damon is kinda stealing the spot light... but that's okay! I love Damon, and want to know more about him.

Excerpt:

He pushed the curtain aside and found himself face to face with the five elders. One with long, black hair stepped forward to look him in the eye. "What is your name, vampire?"

Damon bowed slightly, as he felt it was proper, before he answered. "My name is Damon Damncry, Lord Elf."

"I am Earikios, this is Asae, Hilia, Telen-Hi, and Gaerwen."

He gestured to each as he said their names. Asae frowned at him, Hilia merely looked upon him with sad eyes. Telen-Hi watched emotionlessly, and Gaerwen looked mad enough to kill.

"You!" Gaerwen stepped forward, raising a deadly finger to point in Damon's direction. "So it is your fault that her family was killed? Do you know what-." He was cut short as Telen-Hi laid a hand on his shoulder.

"Now is not the time for threats, Gaerwen. He is not here to do us harm." Telen-Hi turned his eyes to look at Damon, his eyes scrutinizing his every move. Though Damon had the feeling that this sizing up was much more than skin deep. He felt as though his every thought, every feeling, every motive, and very past were being put under a microscope. He shuffled from one foot to the other, feeling like a school boy that had been caught doing something naughty.

Hilia stepped forward, her fingers glowing slightly as she approached Damon. "Do you mind?"

Damon shrugged slightly. "Not at all Lady Hilia. As long as it shall do me no harm, you may run whatever tests you wish. I mean you no harm."

Hilia nodded and came closer, laying her hand on the side of his face, her eyes closed, a thoughtful expression on her face as she evaluated everything she saw. "Intriguing."

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:41 PM

I've broken 10K! But no one seems to be keeping tabs on mine so... well... Here's another excerpt anyone... Except... of the Baddie...

Damien sat in his "throne room" as some liked to call it. He may not have seen himself as a king, but he liked his theatrics. The overly plush seat at the head of the room, seated on a dais, was part of it. A small boy was seated on his knee.He had his hand placed on the small of the boys back. The child couldn't have been more than five years of age. Oddly though, with the close proximity, the child wasn't afraid. It could have been that Damien was singing softly and quite soothingly to the boy, but it could have also been the spell that was in effect on the child. Either way, he sat on the knee of Damien and swayed back and forth with the song that was made by Damien's mouth alone. The mouth that, moments later, sank it's teeth into the child's neck. Draining him until he was almost dry, with some difficulty, he released the child, handing him almost lovingly to a man standing nearby.

"See that he gets the proper treatment. If he is strong enough, he will be able to join us in a matter of days."

"Yes, Damien." The man bowed once and carried the child off into some hidden part of the castle, for lack of a better word.

Janina.Falk
JulNo Member

Mood: I have an editor!!
JulNoWriMo Title: I'll decide when it's done

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:54 PM

I'm keeping tabs, it looks great so far. ^^

If i weren't falling miserably behind, and had some idea of genre/title, I might make one of these things..

When I first saw you, I was afraid to meet you
When I finally met you, I was tentative to kiss you
When I kissed you for the first time, my heart was afraid to love you
Now that I love you, the thing I am most deathly afraid of more than anything else
Is losing you
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:26 PM
I suck at fight scenes.

Just did a 10 minute word war... and found out I suck at fight scenes...

Damon pushed Hope towards the cave, sometimes literally, sometimes just figuratively. But when they both arrived, Nicholai was, needless to say, pissed beyond belief.

"Just where the hell were you, Mr. I'm in charge here? Wasn't everyone supposed to go back to the cave?" He shot a glare at Hope at the last question.

Helena was furious as well, but she remained perched on Nicholai's arm, no matter how much she wanted to strangle Hope for succeeding where she had failed. Or at least, that was the way she saw it in her mind. Damon sighed quietly, running a hand through his hair (again) and shot a glare at Hope. Hope merely shrugged, an impetuous grin on her face.

"It does not concern you where I was, all that concerns you is doing what I say." Damon made move to go to a secluded corner in the cave but found his way blocked by Nicholai's cronies.

"Just where do you think you're going, Damon? Running away from a fight?" Nicholai's annoying bravado, tough guy act was getting old, and Damon seriously entertained thoughts about putting him in his place. But that was beneath him, he had vowed long ago not to sink to Nicholai's level.

"I was not aware we were in a fight, Nicholai. Now why are you hiding behind others? Afraid you can't back up your boasts?"

Nicholai snarled, flinging himself at Damon. Damon sidestepped it casually, turning to meet the return charge as Nicholai regained his footing. "I'm not going to fight you, Nicholai. You will have to deal with that fact sooner or later."

In a rage, Nicholai threw an expertly aimed punch to Damon's head. A punch which Damon caught effortlessly. "You know I am both faster, and stronger than you. Much less more level-headed."

Damon pushed Nicholai away, just to have him coming back at him with a series of kicks, punches, and futile attempts to fight him. Every punch Damon deflected, every kick he dodged, all the while berating Nicholai for fighting a friend. "You and I are on the same side Nicholai."

"That doesn't mean I have to like an arrogant brat like you." Nicholai landed a punch on Damon's shoulder, spinning the smaller man in a half circle.

Damon crouched low and sprang high about Nicholai's next kick, landing on a piece of stone jutting out from the wall higher up. He looked down on Nicholai, quite literally now, and spoke. "You don't have to like me, but you do have to follow orders. Now no more useless fighting, Nick. You will never beat me."

So saying he followed the series of winding tunnels that branched off up there.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 09:46 PM
I is teh evil author!

After a ten minute word war... Hope is going to absolutely LOATHE Ala when they meet. Ala will win Damon's heart... Poor Hope.

Here's the excerpt:

Hope looked up at Damon, an odd expression on her face. He wasn't looking at her, but instead was playing with the rat who had awoken to the commotion and was running up and down his arms, tickling his sensitive skin with her tiny paws. When at last he paused to look at her, he spoke.
"What are you looking at me like that for?"

Hope shook her head. "Nothing, you just seem different somehow."

"Different how?"

She shrugged and walked in the opposite direction, not wanting to have this conversation here. She moved near the enterance to the caves. The suns had started dipping below the horizon and Damon sighed quietly. "Wouldn't it be nice to be able to be out there and enjoy the sunsets and sunrises?"

Hope looked up at him, a hint of longing behind her eyes, "Yes, yes it would." She moved a tad closer and leaned against his thin shoulder lightly.

Damon made a small sound in the back of his throat but didn't say anything about her close proximity. He had come to a decision while wandering the halls back there. He wasn't going to find 'the one' that Alucard always talked about, so he may as well choose someone he could stand. Helena wouldn't be too happy, but she was always too... what was the word for it? Insane? Yeah, insane worked, Helena went crazy made when he finally got it through her thick skull that he didn't like her.

But Hope, Hope kept trying, never gave up, but never tried forcing anything on him. And so it would work. Why wouldn't it? The two of them got along quite well and she never annoyed him as much as Helena did.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 12:11 PM

I should be writing right now... But since no one seems to care for keeping tabs on, reading, commenting, making me feel good about my novel... I've stalled for the past two days...

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 01:42 PM

Hello :D

I should be writing now, but I think I would rather read about yours.

Maybe I should add excerpts to my progress report...

Silpelit
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 12:49 PM

Hey hey :) Just read through your summary/excerpts. I like the idea of mortality as something to be desired. And from the excerpts it seems like this story is pretty dramatic/epic! I like reading them even if I don't entirely know what's going on haha :)
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 01:15 PM
Horrible HORRIBLE dream sequence.

Just got done writing 1502 words in half an hour. Part of my 10k in 5hr deal... and I can't write dream's... it's weird and I don't like it. Here it is:

Quote:

Grumbling slightly, Cenalem did what he was told anyway. Soon he was asleep, snoring lightly. Ala slept lightly beside him, tossing and turning restlessly. Curious, Damon moved closer, placing a cold, hard hand on her forehead, allowing him to see what it was she was dreaming.

It was dark, there were screams, a tremor of terror shook her body as one body, then two, then three passed her. She sat crouched between a bed and the wall. A form sat next to her, unnoticed by her small frame. A hand lay on her forehead, and the other covered her mouth, keeping her from making a sound. Words, nonsense to her young mind, were murmured in her ear and then darkness. But heads, faceless heads flew past her darkened vision, voices, muttering darkly. Again, the screams. A boy this time. The screams ended, she moved from her hiding place, to a room across the hall. A young man, perhaps nearing twenty in a few years, lay sprawled in his own blood.

Young Ala put her hands on his body, pushing him, trying to get him to wake. Oddly, her young body didn't produce tears, didn't cry, didn't shout. As if she was detatched from it all. Next, a hidden cubby hole back in her own room, with a small staircase, leading to the first floor. It ended in the kitchen, where her fragile body collapsed. Again, she heard the screams, Mother, Father, Brother. The faceless heads, sharpened teeth. A green light.

Damon pulled his hand away from her head with difficulty, wanting to remain there to comfort her. But why? He didn't care about her except as a means to be normal. To escape this inhuman existence. He moved across the clearing, pacing back and forth. A moment later, Ala shot up from the ground, her eyes wide open, confusion written across her face. Why was she awake? She should have slept soundly till morning. But she didn't feel like she had gotten any rest at all.

And @Silpelit: Thanks! I'm trying my hardest for the dramatic, but I like to have some comedy, or I'm trying anyway. Not sure if I can do the comedy... I like Nicholai... he and Hope are fun to write.

a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

[*] posted on 7-19-2010 at 11:06 PM

Did you disappear on us??? :(

You better not have given up... *threatening glare* Come on, you've got to make it! I know you can!!!! :D

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]