Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chicago residents?
Roonil
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 08:54 PM
Chicago residents?

I set my novel in Chicago, figuring the knowledge gained from going to museums and Millennium Park and plays and things fairly often would make this a good decision. Then my novel decided to keep the entire big quest type deal contained inside the city, and involve a lot of aspects of the city I know nothing about. For instance:

Are there any underground stations on the El train? None of the maps I found can tell me this.
My MC is an average guy with a desk job. Where is a decent part of the city he can live in?

Okay so that was less questions than I thought I had. Thanks ;)
DaeBrayk
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Driftwood Souls

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 09:17 PM

I live near chicago, but I'm probably not going to be very helpful... still, here goes.

El train= elevated. You probably knew that one, but just in case. As far as I remember, the stops are aboveground (along with most of the tracks).

...and that's about it. Dang. You don't have to give him a specific adress, though. Just stick him in a townhouse somewhere. They're usually split into three levels, basement being the cheapest. Or maybe the owners usually live in the basement... -.- Idunno, sorry.

Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing.

-E.L. Doctrow
Roonil
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 11:03 PM

Thanks! I knew the El was elevated, but there are underground parts too, right? Just didn't know if there were stops underground.

Ooh a townhouse is better than a generic apartment. I don't think I'll need an address, but I think it would be helpful to at least know whereabouts in the city I should put him... Hm. That might actually be something for the second draft now. I'm already pretty far in past the point where that would matter.
DaeBrayk
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Driftwood Souls

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 04:54 PM

I asked my dad- the red and blue lines go and have stops underground, the brown stays above. There's a perfectly generic neighborhood of townhouses called Roscoe Villaige/ st. Ben's (either one, they sort of blend together) on the north-west side of Chicago, about two miles west of Wrigley Field.

If you want some humor, or if the underground El trains are especially important and you want to call attention to them, you could stick him in an apartment right next to where the El goes underground. I've been told it's like an earthquake coming through whenever a train passes by. Windows rattling, dishes shattered, cabinets shaken right off the walls. Those apartments are pretty cheap though, (for obvious reasons :P) so you'll have to give him a crappier job.

Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing.

-E.L. Doctrow
Jennifer Kos
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Slay White

[*] posted on 7-12-2010 at 01:36 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Roonil  

Are there any underground stations on the El train? None of the maps I found can tell me this.

The red line runs underground from North and Clyborn to Roosevelt, I believe. The blue also runs underground in the loop and in the more urban areas on the way to the airport. I'm not sure about the rest.

Quote: Originally posted by Roonil  

My MC is an average guy with a desk job. Where is a decent part of the city he can live in?

The neighborhood that you ultimately feel the most comfortable in depends on your needs and preferences. If your MC wants a quick commute, a young hip artsy neighborhood and lots of shop/resturaunt choices right outside their door, then Wicker Park or the Ukrainian Villiage might be a good choice. Hyde Park has no El connections, but the neighborhood is great for intellectual families (as in both mom and dad have a PhD). Lincoln Park (red line/North&Clyborn, Fullerton) is known for its yuppie culture. While there are a lot of great resturaunts, bars and shops, there are also a lot of chains and this area has a much less gritty feel in general. Lakeview is the next neighborhood up (Belmont, Sheridan); great shoping & home to Boystown. A little further up the redline you have Uptown (Lawrence, Wilson, Argyle), Edgewater(Bryn Mawr, Thornedale, Granville) and Rogers Park (Loyola, Morse, Jarvis and Howard). These areas seem to be a little more multicultural and rent is cheaper. There's good dining and shoping in Andersonville and great Indian food on Devon and late night burritos on Clark. There's more parking in these neighborhoods, so it's a lot easier to own a car. You're very far from downtown and far from a lot of things in general, but in Roger's Park an average guy can afford to live on the beach.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]