JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: JulNo has started. First paragraphs, please.
KathrineROID
JulNo Procrastinator

Mood: Halp
JulNoWriMo Title: undecided

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley11.gif posted on 6-30-2010 at 09:19 AM
JulNo has started. First paragraphs, please.

Says it all! Post your first paragraph, then get back to your insane writing!

[Edited on 6-30-2010 by KathrineROID]

janefendy
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: umm >___>
JulNoWriMo Title: Vulture Eye / Juxtaposition of Life and Death

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 09:49 AM

The rain washed the road with endless drips of water. It was dark and stormy. Lightning struck everywhere and there was no sign that it would stop any soon. It forced everyone to hide under the shelter, leaving the hectic city a silent scene.

Twitter - Last.fm - Blog

Badge(s):
arcadia
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Table for One

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 10:44 AM

It's still another hour or so for me, but best of luck to everyone!

Jade_Carver
JulNo Member

Mood: Groggy.
JulNoWriMo Title: Super Motel

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:09 AM

As we grow and mature, our dreams for our futures change and mutate. Sometimes we realise that what we thought we wanted to do is something we don't actually like, or something we're really bad at. Sometimes an injury or circumstance will render a long-term goal impossible. Kendall Copper's dreams were crushed when she was seven years old.

"The first draft is just you telling yourself the story".

- Terry Pratchett
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 02:34 PM

8 and a half hours to go for me... but I'll definitely post mine up when I can. Good luck everyone!

somethingwitty
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ugh...
JulNoWriMo Title: The Satelite Dimension

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 02:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by arcadia  
It's still another hour or so for me, but best of luck to everyone!

Yeah, JulNo hasn't started for me either...I have (technically, and rouding, too) 8 hours!!** :) I really need to outline!!

**Assuming that I start writing at midnight.

Thanks to thepillsburydoughgirl for the avatar!

Nano 2009-5,000 Years From Now
4398/3000
Screnzy 2009-Time Traveler's Association UNFINISHED/FAIL
4 pages/3 pages
Julno 2010-The Satelite Dimension
3959 (so far)/50000
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 07:16 PM

‘To be blind, what would that be like?’

The hot sun warms the September path. Crisp red leaves crunch underfoot, still changing their colours and tones. Sneakers pound them into the ground as he hurries along, not taking any time to stop and take in this scenery he’s viewed so many times before.

First paragraph of my prologue. Okay, technically the first two. :rolleyes:

I'll post the first paragraph of the first chapter once I get around to writing it. So that'll be in ehh~ about twenty hours? I really despise writing openings. They just don't come out right if I actually write them at the beginning.

~ ♥ ~
nightmare_lane
JulNo Member

Mood: excited and caffeine-buzzed!
JulNoWriMo Title: Middle of Elsewhere

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:32 PM

A bolt of lightning illuminated the small house, casting shadows of furniture across the carpeted floors. This was pretty much what Emily had expected since lightning had a tendency to do such things, but the bright flash back-lit something else as well, something that told her instinct that her gun might come in handy. The something looked at her, wide-eyed and terrified, and before she could even reach for the shotgun strapped to her back, a bullet flew by only inches from her head.

YAY! First paragraph, done! *high-fives self*

Now sleep...

In any post-apocalyptic story created after the release of Mad Max, it is almost assured that the obvious and natural way for the world to look after a civilization-destroying cataclysm is "the Australian Outback". There is no need to explain this. Global catastrophe turns the world into Australia. It just follows logically.
brianacluster
JulNo Writer

Mood: lackadaisical
JulNoWriMo Title: ;l

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:43 PM

It's bad, but ah well:

I bit my lip as I waited outside in the harsh, cold weather. Mollie and Ashlee should be here by now. I texted them last night and this morning. Of course, chances of their phone being on in the early crack of dawn would be nothing. So, just to make sure that they were coming by the park to meet me, I promised them coffee last night, and told them that this meeting was quiet important. They agreed.

Roonil
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:06 AM

Not quite the right feel for my story, but I know better than to spend all my kickoff time and Chex Mix on a perfect opening paragraph. And it's really short...

Once upon a time, a man met a woman and they fell helplessly in love. Well, not quite. A man did meet a woman. And they did fall into something. Let’s back up a bit.
mellifluouscipher
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired. Writers Block.
JulNoWriMo Title: Esme Reinhart and the Elementals

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:07 AM

First Paragraph of the Preface....

I would be eating my own words if I had a paper and pen right now. Sacrifice was something I knew of, but I didn’t know the extent of it’s meaning until now. The Shadow in the night grew darker, if that was possible for anyone to imagine. I could feel his lip curl up, fiercely grinning at the thought of my blood on his sword.

First Paragraph of Chapter 1....

It is never going to be an ordinary day. That was the line that I was reading in my journal. My older sister Sophia had told me to write that as something to remember, or rather live for. She was full of wisdom and wanted to remind me that I should never waste my time just being. I had to live my life as fully as possible.

What do you all think?

"Making mistakes is the privilege of the active. It is always the mediocre people who are negative, who spend their time proving that they were not wrong." - Ingval Kamprad (Ikea Founder)
shepherd_nerd
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: look at me still talking when there's science to do
JulNoWriMo Title: It's All Relative

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:10 AM

'Tis very wordy to up my word count, but nevertheless...

A small brunette girl stood awkwardly among a swarm of adults, scratching the elbow of one arm with the fingers from the hand of the other arm. She had never enjoyed this ‘cocktail party’ kind of thing, but there, that was what you got when your mother was a professional party guest, paid the big bucks to go out and turn up at rich and glitzy (and, more to the point, crowded) parties every night of the week.

(Trust me, it's not what you think it is; this one's actually medieval-esque fantasy, lol. XD)

NaNo 08: Amanda Letters 25k | JulNo 09: Grayscale 57k | NaNo 09: Breccia (draft 1) 50k
JulNo 10: Pointillism 2k; Untitled 48k | NaNo 10: Breccia (draft 1.5) 50k| JulNo 11: The Shadow of the Daisy 50k
NaNo 11: It's All Relative 4k | JulNo 12: It's All Relative (?)

Consistent Hobgoblin
mostly dead writing blog; may be revived with some science mixed in
mellifluouscipher
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:11 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jade_Carver  
As we grow and mature, our dreams for our futures change and mutate. Sometimes we realise that what we thought we wanted to do is something we don't actually like, or something we're really bad at. Sometimes an injury or circumstance will render a long-term goal impossible. Kendall Copper's dreams were crushed when she was seven years old.

Pretty interesting!

"Making mistakes is the privilege of the active. It is always the mediocre people who are negative, who spend their time proving that they were not wrong." - Ingval Kamprad (Ikea Founder)
kunli
JulNo Writer

Mood: Bugger off. I'm sleepy.
JulNoWriMo Title: Noir

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:28 AM

Every morning there were prayers. Twice on Sundays. Elizabeth loathed Sundays because it was an extra hour she had to spend with her spine perfectly straight, steadfastly ignoring what little of Thomas’ antics she could see out of the corner of her eye. She knew better than to twitch or twiddle or tap the pew in front of her with her boots. One could commit those acts without being punished inside the Church, to be sure. However, it was after services, when they returned to the orphanage for lunch that Sister Margaret—it was usually Sister Margaret, unless it was a grave offense, then it was Sister Ernestine—would take the offenders aside to be lectured and struck across the knuckles.

What do you guys think? ^^

Stock: I II
DA I | DA II | LJ | Last.fm
"Beware of wolves in sheep's clothing."
mellifluouscipher
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kunli  
Every morning there were prayers. Twice on Sundays. Elizabeth loathed Sundays because it was an extra hour she had to spend with her spine perfectly straight, steadfastly ignoring what little of Thomas’ antics she could see out of the corner of her eye. She knew better than to twitch or twiddle or tap the pew in front of her with her boots. One could commit those acts without being punished inside the Church, to be sure. However, it was after services, when they returned to the orphanage for lunch that Sister Margaret—it was usually Sister Margaret, unless it was a grave offense, then it was Sister Ernestine—would take the offenders aside to be lectured and struck across the knuckles.

What do you guys think? ^^

Holy friggin' crap! LOL. I heard nuns were evil

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:34 AM

Here's mine!
*Shameless word padding on the first day*

This world, is a world much different from your own. In this world, most work for what they have to live, they work the ground, create what they need with their hands and protect their own. They do not expect any to come to their rescue, nor would most go out of their way to help a stranger. Though they are not bad people, many would help their neighbor has family, and small communities tend to stick together. Larger cities, however, have a lesser sense of camaraderie. Most in the larger cities, have loose definitions of 'help' and 'family' and 'trust'. The streets are clogged with the filth of rich folk too lazy to clean up after themselves, and the main thoroughfares are choked with the lame, the poor, and the beggars that normal society has cast out from their sight. But it is not a bad place. Most have everything they could ask for and more, and most are happy with it. But that is in the human world. Unlike your own, there are more than just humans in this world. The more fantastical of beings have long since departed this world, though, as the human's expanded and killed whomever was in their way.

jsights
JulNo Writer

Mood: Writerly
JulNoWriMo Title: Ravaged Heart

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:05 AM

Honestly what do you guys think of this one? If you tell me it sucks I won't be hurt, promise. :)

“Oh my word, you must be Vittorio Santini. I could never mistake you, but you’re even more handsome in person than you are on TV and in magazines.” A tall, slender black woman with straight hair and perfectly done, if a little heavy, makeup walked toward us. She wore a black pencil skirt and red silk blouse, trying to blend in with the Gothic crowd at The Chapel, but failing miserably.

cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:08 AM

Very wordy, and definitely a good start to a WriMo! We're all about the wordy descriptions! Best get in as many words as you can before the slump hits... *sigh* Seems like it's hitting me early. *Headdesk* I may as well give up now.

LokiLaughs
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Save the Last Dance for Me

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:16 AM

The night was warm and the stars shined clearly over the lake. Lucas was convinced that nature was mocking him with the beauty as he pulled the blanket closer around his shoulders. The ethereal stillness of the cabin had driven him outside that night, haunted by the memories he could not avoid within.

NaNoWriMo '09 - The Shadow Chronicles -II- Scarlet Nights
Script Frenzy '10 - Murphy's Law: A Travesty in Five Parts
JulNoWriMo '10 - Save The Last Dance For Me
NaNoWriMo '10 - Requiem
Mercedes
JulNo Writer

Mood: Panicked
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:24 AM

" Mercedes Montgomery had always wondered when one day, someone would get tired of putting up with her; the consistently rotten attitude, the inability to love properly, the depressive outbursts. There were so many things about Mercedes that was so easy to hate, and so little to love. She had seen that clearly through the vast amount of relationships she had encountered."

That is from the prologue. :D

"I try to live life so that I can live with myself." ďż˝ John Green
-Julie-Marie-
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:39 AM

"Running. The boy was sick of running. He didn’t want to do it anymore, but he couldn’t stop. If he stopped, it was all over. He’d been one step ahead of this bounty hunter for the past three months, but now he was starting to think that maybe he never was ahead. Maybe he’d been playing into their hands this whole time."

no idea what's going on yet, xD guess I'll have to keep writing to find out. This is gonna be a wild ride~!

"If my doctor told me that I only had six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." ~Isaac Asimov
"Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia." ~E.L. Doctorow

NaNo 2009: Breath by Breath::51.5 K!
JulNo 2010: ???::????

http://www.TickerFactory.com/counter/wS5zTFr/
Aramina Silverblaze
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Twilight Shadows/Saved

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:55 AM

Selena awoke to the sounds of Uli bustling around the stove. She’d been sleeping on the couch in the living room since being cleared, and Rusl and Uli had said she could stick around until she went home. Of course, now Rusl knew what that entailed, he probably realized it was possible that she’d be living with them until she managed to get a house of her own, as there was no telling if she’d ever get home.
Fallen_Angel5535
JulNo Member

Mood: Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: Such a Beautiful Girl

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 02:05 AM

Time is disjointed when your heart is breaking. Little details are what demand your attention; because of this, you tend to miss the bigger picture.

Eh...it's not great, but whatever. xD Love everyone else's! :D

Vchan
JulNo Writer

Mood: Ready for this Dx
JulNoWriMo Title: Nameless Rain

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 02:24 AM

“Oh…my…god…you’re a werewolf!”

...what a wonderful first paragraph, yeah?

Challenges
NaNo 09::50008::win::The Somebodies
NaNo 10::50752::win::The Somebodies 2
NaNo 11::50065::win::Nameless Rain
EdMo 10::14hrs 16 mins::fail::The Somebodies
Frenzy 10::55 pgs::fail::Nameless Rain
JulNo 10::21000+::fail::Moonlight Chats
JulNo 11:: fail::Somewhere Near Wonderland
JulNo 12::Nameless Rain

Fictionpress

Daxne
JulNo Writer

Mood: Feeling good!
JulNoWriMo Title: Untitled

Word Count: 6912 / 50000
Word Count Start14% Complete86% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 02:26 AM

It hurt. It hurt his heart, his soul even, to sit there and watch his sister die. The sister who took care of him, who watched him grow and laughed at his stupid jokes. The one and only person in the family who truly, beyond a doubt loved him was dying and there was nothing he could do. So he cried, he cried for the lost moments that would never happen, and for the memories that would fade without her.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge." -Albert Einstein

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]