kidchameleon
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: totally awesome (:
JulNoWriMo Title: Sigh No More

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 04:00 AM
Point of View

Well, for my JulNo (which I've finally managed to come up with an idea for) I am writing a story about, essentially, a naiad (water nymph) and a teenage boy who become friends, fall in love, etc. As I've been outlining the beginning, it's mostly centered around the boy first - who will be my MC - but he doesn't see her lurking in the water yet. My dilemma here is which POV should I use: first or third? Which would be more appealing, I guess?

I'm stuck because I want to incorporate some things from the naiad's POV, too, and I would have to bring the boy along for the ride if it were in first person.

I hope that wasn't too confusing. I'm sort of on the fence, so I just need a few votes as to which you'd most likely read/write if you were in my situation. Thank you!
syaffolee
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Bone Mountain

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 04:05 PM

It depends on what you want to do with the story. Personally, I think first person works well if your aim is a) to chronicle the growth and experiences of one character, b) keep certain aspects of the plot hidden, especially in a mystery, c) gradually reveal the other characters to the reader, or a combination of the above. If first POV is just used for the heck of it, I find that there is something missing.

If you think the story benefits from having multiple POVs, then you could either have alternating first POV or alternating third person limited (although I find the latter less confusing).

kidchameleon
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: totally awesome (:
JulNoWriMo Title: Sigh No More

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 01:44 AM

I tried out Write or Die, just to see what it was like, and wrote up a test piece for my story; I think third person is going to work better for me. It just flows easier for me, I guess. But thank you for the input anyway.

:)
FictionRainbow
JulNo Member

Mood: Optimistic
JulNoWriMo Title: Not sure yet

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 10:48 AM

I think syaffolee is right. If you want to use alternating pov (that is two or more different character's perspective), then the best would probably be alternating third person. It is sort of confusing to use alternating first person, because the reader would be confused as to who is the first person. Who really is "I" referring to. But with alternating third person POV, the perspective change depending on whoever was introduced in the first paragraph of the chapter, taht is easier to comprehend.
jsights
JulNo Writer

Mood: Writerly
JulNoWriMo Title: Ravaged Heart

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:25 AM

I've seen novels that alternate between 1 first-person POV and 1 or more 3rd person. I think this works. Or if you alternate between 2 or more first person POV, give each chapter a heading of the person's name so we know who is telling the story.

kunal29
JulNo Member

Mood: :)
JulNoWriMo Title: Not yet decided!

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:33 AM

Hey guys..

Can you tell me what is the POV used in Harry Potter. It seems third person but Harry's thoughts are always expressed but no one else's.

Also, I am planning a novel which will have the story of the main protagonist but I am not much adept at writing first person. Still, I feel that it is the best for the story. Please help me solve this dilemma.

HELP!!
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:50 AM

Harry Potter (as many others) uses a specialized third person, known as limited omniscient. This is the mode of telling a story in the third person, but getting deep inside the head of a single characters, revealing their thoughts and emotions along with whatever other actions and descriptions. The intention is to tell the story as that character might be seeing it, but in a more detached mode than first person, as if you're riding around in their head rather than having them tell it to you. Gets around the fallible narrator that first person can fall to.

Limited omniscient is largely the most popular perspective nowadays, though the degree to which it is limited varies from writer to writer. Some incorporate the character's thoughts directly into the narration, others just give hints as to thoughts that wouldn't be outwardly obvious. The term "perspective character" largely applies to limited omniscient stories, though first person holds some claim as well, for obvious reasons.

Omniscient, by the way, is a third person perspective where you are given thoughts and views of all characters present. It can be confusing, and feel as if you're bouncing around the story when you are getting Char 1's thoughts one paragraph, then Char 2 the next, then Char 1 again, then Char 3... As such, it doesn't have widespread popularity, but is not unknown, and can be executed well.

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
kunal29
JulNo Member

Mood: :)
JulNoWriMo Title: Not yet decided!

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 01:12 PM

@Nightsong

Thanks a ton!!
writer_mercia
JulNo Writer

Mood: Annoyed, and should be writing.
JulNoWriMo Title: Prince of Thieves

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 04:33 PM

I used one main POV in first person, and all the other POVs which showed up occasionally to clarify story points were in third person. ^.^

"I'm a thief."
"You're a WHAT?"
"A thief. You know, the kind that steals."
Cabriolean
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: OLL (maybe)

[*] posted on 7-4-2010 at 11:39 AM

Personally, when writing or reading romance, 1st person feels a little..odd, but that might just be me.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]