JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: Fantasy] Magic?
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 02:14 PM
Magic?

Just a question. I know many people vision 'magic' differently. So in your world/story/alternate reality, is there magic?

If so, how does it work? Are there any limitations? Incantations? Rituals? Sacrificing to the God(s)? Is it like HP magic, you just wave a want/staff/etc and say some Latin-sounding words?

Can just anyone do magic? Or do you have to be born with it?
Is it common, uncommon, sacred? Do people fear magicians? Revere them? Worship them?

Do the magicians rule the world? Or are they barred from having that much power?

I think I'll answer these once I see some answers. I don't have mine solidly planned out. All I know is that magic won't, but at the same time, will have a big impact on the plot.

syaffolee
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Bone Mountain

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 06:56 PM

In the world I'm writing in, magic is an integral part of the environment. It's like the trees or someone having brown hair. You know it's there, but you don't think much about it.

The only people who can wield the magic, however, are creatures that are in of themselves magical or humans who have been trained to use magic (i.e. sorcerers). There are no rituals involved, just will.

Gryfflepuffinclaw
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:21 AM

Im my story, magic is everywhere, found in everything, but only certain people can weild it. Certain magic is associated with certain elements or magical "faiths" and a person only becomes and adult once they have discovered what their "faith" is.
Nightsong
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Meh (Should be writing)
JulNoWriMo Title: Synth Spells

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:55 PM

I've generally taken a very reserved approach to magic in my stories. I tend to limit it as much as possible, making it a force in history but no longer, or including just healers, or another single form of magic. And even the healers are often just users of herblore with a bit of extra skill, that could simply be explained away if need be.

This years JulNo will be much the same, still the herblorists, but nothing beyond that. Then again, this novel has a more limited scope than some others. As a general rule in my writing, the larger the world, the more the influence of magic.

Of course, sometimes I bend those rules, and those stories are always fun to write as well, so long as I don't take myself seriously. For some reason I've come to expect that if I make magic widespread, I will end up with it turning more than a little ridiculous.

JulNo '12 - Synth Spells

I'm great at managing my time, I just don't have enough of it.
-Anwyn
rebeldork
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Crossroads of Time

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 06:55 PM

I've written about magic differently within the same world, but I try to steer clear of anything that reminds me of Harry Potter, haha.

In my first, oldest way of thinking of it, there are different rankings: wizard/witch, the lowest and most common; mage, which is much rarer and more powerful, and gives the user the opportunity to make money off of their magic, which they usually do; and sorcerer(ess). Sorcerers and sorceresses are extremely powerful and rare, and usually burn out quickly from overusing their magic. In most countries, about 10% of the population has magic, with 8% being the first category, 2% the second, and a tiny, tiny fraction the third, but some countries have a higher percentage of magic users than others (some have virtually none at all).

In my second, more recent way of writing magic, magic is a force that "visits" people randomly and leaves when it likes. The most common age to receive magic is adolescence, although adults can get it as well. Magic is rare and those who get it at any time are considered special. However, the more you use it, the sooner it leaves. It can stay for anywhere from a couple of weeks to a decade. When people use it to get a job, and then it leaves, it can end disastrously (this is what my NaNo was about).

Emperor of Colorado
JulNo Writer

Mood: Dead like a moose

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 08:02 AM

Magic in my worlds varies a lot. In the one I'm doing in July, there's very little magic. Almost to the extant of it being non-existent. Out of the three countries in my book, it's really only heard of in one, and there, it's extremely rare. Those that do have magic are highly respected, and in a way, are almost more important than the royalty of the country. They don't rule the country, but they're the ones who select the next king. I haven't quite worked out how their magic works, but I think they probably have some kind of rituals that they do. Right now, their powers are limited to seeing the future, healing, and a few other things that I don't feel like explaining.

In another story, it's ridiculously common. Well, depending on your species. But for humans, it's common enough that there's schools set up for those who can use it. Humans probably have the widest range of abilities, but some are very uncommon among humans, like elemental powers or shapeshifting. For some species, those powers are part of who they are. I've really only focused on the abilities of my main characters - a healer and a pyrokinetic shapeshifter, but there's going to be a wide range of abilities. Not sure how many will actually be featured in the story though. I'll probably just get the point across that there's a ton of different magic types without cramming a lot of useless crap in there.

In yet another story, it's uncommon, but because it's set in the future, there's a large population, so there's quite a few of them running around. They can tell if a kid's going to have it when they're about a year old, although they've generally got to be trained to use it. Training starts at five years old, and at that age, they can only do telekinesis. There really isn't that much else they can do until about 12-14, when the nature of their ability is made apparent. There's six different types of powers, and on very rare occasions, someone can have two, but that's almost unheard of. In my story, there's one person alive with two abilities, and he's over 90 years old, although in part two or three, a girl discovers that she's got two as well. Pretty soon after discovering what kind of ability they have, they bond to an animal, and that allows them to access their abilities to the full extent. It's a pretty deep bond and if one dies, the other usually does as well, although they've gotten better at getting the survivor to actually survive longer periods of time. The main group of magic users is kinda like a peacekeeping force, but can also be integrated into the military if the need arises. Not everyone likes them, and some people want them to either not be involved in the government (fearing that they might be influencing leaders as some of them can do some "mind control" type things) and some are more extreme and want them all depowered, which can be done with drugs. Or dead, but no one really voices that opinion.
BrandisherOfTheSpoon
JulNo Member

Mood: STOKED!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: I Eat Lunch With A Monster

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 06:29 PM

I am writing an Urban Fantasy novel so my magic is a little more subtle. My FMC has discovered she is a "weather witch" able to control winds and rain. Another character can speak to spirits through sewing. There are l imitations because there must be a balance. A character could wave away a storm but faces the reality of having to bear the grunt of a force of energy equal to an atomic bomb for doing so or figuring out "where" to put the energy. I suppose I have taken a very "scientific-ish" stance on magic in this novel.

I have stated in a prequel novel that everyone has the essence inside of them to perform magic and somethings people don't even notice they have done so, like when you wish ill of someone so intensely that it is too much of a coincidence that it has happened. Like everything in life, some people are just born with a greater reserve of 'essence' than others.

Currently magic and 'underworld' creatures are in control of the world and my MCs are in the midst of this war.

I guess my characters execution of magic differ greatly... some need books with Latin or otherworldly languages to perform magic, others need materials... like my "stitch witch" while some just cast their spells spontaneously or have to sing for spells to affect others.

Nano \'08 Jade Bandore: 74,553(editing-still)
Julno \'09 (first novel) Last Hours: 71,122
Julno \'09 (second novel) Crucible's Flame 68324
Nano \ '09 Chaos Theory of Relativity: 67,923
Julno \'10 Relativity of Chaos 71,796
JulNo \'11 I Eat Lunch With A Monster 7,631
jamberryberry
JulNo Member

Mood: Very cheerful! ^-^
JulNoWriMo Title: Everything Pure

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 09:50 PM

Well, in this one story I'm thinking about writing (still not sure about it...) there is some magic, but it mainly comes from witched, which, in my book, are nearly extinct and are all currently trapped in mirrors (don't ask... it's a long story). Basically the only magic that takes place is that normal "hoccus poccus" type. Nothing all that special, really.
acedia
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 05:38 AM

I have developed at least two systems of magic, but I don't use them anymore and I don't think they were very good or logical, so I don't feel like explaining them.

Generally I suggest that magic should:
1. Be mysterious.
2. Have limitations.
3. Have a price.
4. Be based on skill and not on power.

These "rules" can of course be broken to make a more fun story.
OddlyOtter
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:41 PM

My world revolves around magic. Everything has magic in it but not everyone knows about it. It's like a recessive gene that allows you to use it though. It's setting is in a modern day environment.

The magic is hidden though, so much so that there is a government/corporation that controls all magical things. Grand Networked Organization for the Magical Economy, or G.N.O.M.E. for short :D But along with being the guys who help regulate my magical economy they enforce it to be secret. They even hide creatures that are magical. So the general public doesn't know a thing about it! They are my bad guys, well the higher ups. I wanted a corporate bad guys thing and magic so it works!
Little_Dust_Bunny
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Masque

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 08:48 PM

Magic has always been a constant in my fantasy writings. I highly enjoy coming up with different types of magics and magic wielders.
In my NaNo novel, magic was something that had died out once the old gods were forgotten. It is only brought back into the world at the end of the story, when the new religions are cast down and the ancient ways restored. Even then it's only bestowed on those who are deemed worthy of using it.
In the novel I'm thinking of doing for July, things are a bit more tricky. Magic is a part of everyday life, but it isn't something that people use. It's more on the level that... Magic is what created the land, and the people. It's what gives the people form and substance. Without it they'd be shapeless clouds of energy.

"Go fish!"
~Sammy~
Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

Mood: cursing time zones
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mysterious Affair of the Global Consequences

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 02:32 PM

Oh dear. This reminds me of how utterly nonsensical my magic system is for this story.

Pretty much the whole thing is about possessing inanimate objects. You can see and move while you're possessing something, but you can't get too far away from your body or you'll never get back into it. The main problem is being able to control your body and the thing you're possessing at the same time without getting confused, going insane, or accidentally wandering off a cliff. Most people are only any good at using certain types of objects because it takes a lot of practice and is rarely at all practical.

It's urban fantasy and magic ability is for the most part kept secret - wizards do their best to control the world from behind the scenes, but they don't do a good job of it and their power is mostly limited to magic-related organizations (which are completely corrupt). Magic is really most often used to commit crimes.

This system allows for some rather awesome and amusing scenes, but the majority of it is just ridiculous. Which fits the story.

juliajreams
JulNo Royalty

JulNoWriMo Title: Ways of Grandway

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 02:46 PM

In my story magic is considered a sixth sense. Like all the senses, someone can be born without it(like sight/speech/sent) but it's uncommon. It's not the point/command magic, it's will magic. Some people are good at it, others not so much- like a trait. Some people are strong, some good runners, some at making stuff, others at cooking. It's the same with magic.
But since it's not a passive sense, it has to be learned through teaching- or extensive trial and error(as I hope one of my characters will find out.)

"If you eliminate the impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth." ~ SPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCKSPOCK!
"You guys are a procrastination black hole!!!" ~Kat
Proud member of the London-Bound!
Lady Knight juliajreams, Co-Founder of the Pierce Patrol
dA: Jurodo
fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 05:27 PM

My story's set in two worlds; our world and a magic world. In the magic world, everyone has magic powers, but they all have only one specific thing that they can do, like mind reading, seeing the future, controlling the weather, etc. I have a big list of loads of different powers they can have. It's sort of like on the TV show Heroes, where everyone has a different power. Except everyone in the world has a power, rather than just a handful of special people. Some people have two powers, either from being born like that which is extremely rare, or they are given an extra power by the King. They can also have their powers taken from them as a punishment. It's will magic rather than wand magic, and it's almost like another sense, I suppose. Also, magic is a dominant gene so if a mgaic person has a child with someone from the human world (which doesn't happen very often, mind you.) they will have a magic power. Although if you live in the human world too long, your powers fade because people in this world are too closed-minded to be able to use magic. So if a half-magic person grew up in our world, they wouldn't know they had a power unless they went to the magic world and then their power would start to come out.

ArielleJaclyn
JulNo Member

Mood: Already out of inspiration
JulNoWriMo Title: ??

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 07:21 PM

i haven't decided exactly the depths of magic in my novel, but my story is set in our world, not some world filled with mythological creatures. the main character gets a present that turns out to be a working magic wand. until this point, she always thought that magic was fake and only read about it in books. i haven't figured out yet details such as how many magic wands/magical objects there are in the world, whether there are rules and special skills involved with doing magic, or how the wand was created. i'm kind of lost, actually. i'm a huge harry potter fan, but i don't want it to be like that. i don't want my MC to discover schools of magic or ministries of magic -- i don't think it should be reminiscent of HP, especially because i'm writing for children.

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book."
Burning Skulls
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Vigorem

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 12:19 PM

My story has a pretty good amount of magic. Usually people are born with it, but there are some exceptions. People with magic are able to transfer their magic into the body of another (whether or not the person they are transferring to has magic). That's the only way people born without magic can get it. Its a pretty big part of my series. The death transferring thing is the way that the villain got his power. There are also some different magic creatures, but very few. None of them need wands though. For the most part, they just need their minds and their hands.
jiyuuna_tori
JulNo Member

Mood: banging head into desk cos characters are being awkward
JulNoWriMo Title: Lock, Stock and Buried Treasure

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 03:05 PM

I have magic - the crux of my story. It has a set of rules that i'm more or less making up as i go. There's spells you can't do, like mind read, ressurect and stuff. Most of my magic just happens, sometimes you use rituals (my bad guy does), but i chose not to go with incantations - i felt that was a little too cliche.

in my world everyone has the potential to do magic but only those who are trained can actually use it. the type of magic is decided by your race.

People think differently of magicians depending on where they come from. Also i have two different types of magician. my protagonist and my bad guy are different types.

my bad guy magician is trying to rule the world. he does quite well actually, but that's all i'll say. currently it's not magicians who directly ruel the world, more like they're used as really strict enforcers.....which is the same thing really.
Eriyu
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:20 PM

I don't have "magic," per se... but I do have vampires that are semi-supernatural. I'm trying to make most of it as scientific as possible, actually, but at the same time, they can turn into bats and wolves and clouds of mist and whatnot. Since the vampires are presented as being very mysterious (even though the main character is one, haha), it's never really going to be explained why this is possible. The vamps themselves are very discreet with their abilities, and the humans just have no idea what the hell is going on with them because they're so aggavatingly crypic. :)
rlknight
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 08:01 AM

Some magic but that's not the main focus of the story.
silverwings007
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Wages of Sin

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 06:25 PM

I don't ever say "magic" in the current story, but... Some of the people have powers granted to them by the First Voice, the deity in this world. Some of their abilities are natural, a sixth sense that they can't turn off. However, they must say chants (to the First Voice and a few other Sacred Spirits) to make those powers affect others; there's a limited amount of chants, so their powers are limited as well. Further, they draw energy from themselves, the spirits, and the life around them, but they can't draw enough energy to kill, and part of their own energy goes into every chant, so there's another limit to how much they can do. The spirits don't have the same limitations.
enfys.wolfe
JulNo Member

Mood: Ecstatic!
JulNoWriMo Title: Junnichi

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 12:23 PM

The magic in my world is sort of like music: (almost) anyone can do it, but certain people are more predisposed to it than others. Also, to be classed as a medium/healer/telepath etc, you need to do lots of work at it, similar to how an artist is someone who does lots of art.

It has its limits: It's sort of constrained by laws of physics: you can't make something from nothing, conservation of mass, and you can't make fire in a vacuum.

It's also a perfectly accepted part of life, and is taught to students.

It's the job that's never started takes longest to finish.
J. R. R. Tolkien
aelphi
JulNo Writer

Mood: pysched for a brand new storyline.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Gypsy Fireball Wars [tenative]

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 03:39 PM

my story has two worlds, ours, and a secret one. both can, theoretically, have magic. but, as magic typically causes chaos and mass destruction, it has been banned. now in our world, magic has been banned for so long that it has become a myth/legend. but in the other one, revolutions keep breaking out periodically because the magic is not as controlled there. the gypsies are the main cause of the trouble, for they have discovered a few ways to harness it.

since my book is about stopping magic, and not using it, my ideas about it are not clearly developed. what i do know is that magic is a force all its own. it's like a little person. you can control it, like the gypsies have learned to do, but this captured magic is less reliable and more dangerous cuz it doesn't like being manhandled. magic is better off if it's let free and alone.

there is also a legendary great book of magic rumored to have secrets of controlling magic written in it, but i haven't gotten that far yet. teehee.
cass-a-baron
JulNo Member

Mood: Needs to type . . . . . DESPARATELY! O.O
JulNoWriMo Title: Cauldron of Wisdom (Working Series Titile)

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 09:20 PM

Well in my world Magic can be explained scientifically, learned, and an innate ability that can't be explained. There are limitations if you learn it because it depends on what and how much you know.

Incantations are mostly used for people who are learning, but there are instances where there is no exact spell for something and you have to make up your own.

Rituals are reserved for transportation and spells that take a lot of person's energy and time or if they are summoning something powerful.

Sacrificing to the God(s) are only for people who are changing something about themselves like what race they are.

It is not like HP magic. And as for their wand/staff/etc they are made by scientists and magicians working together and manufactured to a person's magic signature.

Anyone can do magic, only magicians are born to do purebred magic so it's a pretty common sight. Sometimes though if you're not born with it and you learn it can become part of your genes.

I had completely forgotten about magicians! So based on that I've decided that there are very few of them left so they are highly Revered by people. The magicians do not rule the world, but much of what they do, does effect the rest of the universe. But since i forgot about them and you given me an idea to work in a challenge i took up.

2nd year JulNoWriMo!

Michelle Thorpe
JulNo Writer

Mood: In pain but feeling hopeful.
JulNoWriMo Title: Town Takeover - Revenge on Ice

[*] posted on 7-27-2010 at 12:15 PM

In the novella that I have just started writing about an hour ago, 'The Fragments of Truth,' there is magic.
Magic items and a few people. It's rare and kept hidden.
There is a magic gem called the three fragments of truth. (Gem broke into three peices).
It makes the owner see through the lies more clearly to the truth.

The first character, Melody, is a healer.
She can heal the sick by holding their hands.
But if she touches their throat or chest instead, then her touch would be fatal instead.

Character two, Squall, is a prophet.
He doesn't know it yet. As far as he knows, is that his dreams come true. He thinks he is a psychic and that
the spirits told him what had already happened.

The third character is Bane.
Bane is a tough watchman who has the abilty to implant his mind into a bird.
So he can look out for trouble from the sky, so he can see further away.

The last Character is called Zeal Lordseeker.
He is an old wizard who can contact other 'gifted' people by using the water element.
He has to wear a hood because he has blue hair, so he stands out like a sore thumb.

MelissaF
JulNo Member

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 03:24 AM

Hello,
Magic is the claimed art of altering things either by supernatural means or through knowledge of occult natural laws unknown to science.[1] Magic has been practised in all cultures, and utilizes ways of understanding, experiencing and influencing the world somewhat akin to those offered by religion, though it is sometimes regarded as more focused on achieving results than religious worship.[2] Magic is often viewed with suspicion by the wider community, and is commonly practised in isolation and secrecy.
Regards,
Ali.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]