JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: Young Adult] YA?
Monkey_With_Fanta
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: In pain :(
JulNoWriMo Title: Arkanos - Memorycatcher (Book One)

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 08:54 AM
YA?

I'm slightly confused on what YA is exactly.

I understand that it's fiction aimed at roughly 14-21 yr-olds, but I'm wondering, is that all there is to it?

I know my stories definitely fit into the Fantasy category as per their content (magic, dragons, other dimensions...), but since my target audience is around 16-22, do I fit into the YA genre too? O.o
But wouldn't that mean that if your novel isn't aimed at kids or adults, then any genre book could be called a YA book?

Would someone mind giving me a heads up on this? :)
Thanks ;)

Please visit my blog Monkey's Fanta World!

JulNoWriMo 2012 ~ Arkanos - Memorycatcher (Book One)
Anastasia
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 03:49 PM

Basically, that's right. Except I've always heard the range as being 13-19... teenagers, in other words.

jamberryberry
JulNo Member

Mood: Very cheerful! ^-^
JulNoWriMo Title: Everything Pure

[*] posted on 6-25-2010 at 05:51 PM

Books can have more than one genre. In fact, it's impossible for a book to be only YA; it would also have to be a realistic fiction, fantasy, nonfiction, science fiction, ect. Basically, that would make your book both a YA and a fantasy book.
B.r.i.g.i.d
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Unraveling

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 12:28 AM

I tend to think of YA as being for ages 12-18 or so. Yes, a book can have more than one genre, so it could be YA Fantasy, etc. But I believe the YA part is more important, so you'd categorize your book as YA before categorizing it as Fantasy, if that makes sense.
bobito4andahalf
JulNo Writer

Mood: Eh.
JulNoWriMo Title: The Art of Possession

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:38 AM

YA just stands for "young adult", therefore your YA book could be targeted and marketed towards all young adults.

Writing Tip #2: SATAN: Select Acronyms That Are Non-Offensive.

Word Count for Nano08 (Life of Death): 30,789
Word Count for Nano09 (Detained For Truth): 25,0056/50,000
Word Count for JulNo10 (The ARt of Possession): 0/155,000

Peanutpie
JulNo Member

Mood: Ready to write
JulNoWriMo Title: I was expecting Paris. NOT SWEDEN.

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 10:52 AM

YA usually does stand for young adult, and there are many overlapping catagories. Like, Melissa De La Cruz is a YA writer who has vampire books, along with chic lit. They usually have overlapping, with ages usually from 12-18.
Bibliophile
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 07:00 PM

I've been reading YA fiction since the age of 10 myself, but I do tend to read certain things before most people do. I think it's because I read so often and quickly I soon run out of good books for my own age group.
ArielleJaclyn
JulNo Member

Mood: Already out of inspiration
JulNoWriMo Title: ??

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 07:11 PM

i agree with bibliophile - i read a lot as a kid and often read books classified as YA at age ten or younger.
i also stopped reading YA books by age 15 or 16. around the start of high school, i already felt that a lot of the books were too immature for me. i remember eagerly buying the newest princess diaries book at the beginning of ninth grade and suddenly feeling way too old for it, even though the main character was 16 and i was 13.
so i would say that while most characters in YA fiction are in high school, most readers are middle school-aged. by the end of high school, most people read regular adult fiction.

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book."
StarshineMiracle
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Letters to ChloŽ

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 02:30 PM

I'm kind of the same, kind of opposite - when I was 10, I was already into books aimed at middle school kids, but I've finished middle school now and I'm still reading those same books mainly. I really need to expand my literary experience. But yeah, I'd say that very few people read children's/YA books about main characters that are younger than them. I think people should, though - maybe then they'd be more likely to remember what being a certain age is like. It's totally easy to think, a year on, that people a year younger than you are really immature.

NaNoWriMo '08 :: Discovering Rachel :: WON :: 50259
Screnzy '09 :: Confusion & Chances :: WON :: 100 pages
NaNoWriMo '09 :: Knowing Arielle Collman :: WON :: 50097
Screnzy '10 :: Green :: WON :: 300 pages
JulNoWriMo '10 :: Letters to ChloŽ :: ???
Jennifer Kos
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Slay White

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 03:31 PM

Basically, I think a book is YA if the main characters care about things that someone between the ages of 13-17 would care about. Namely, you're not writing about somebody's divorce, midlife crisis or dead beat kids. More likely than not, your character will not go to jail for tax evasion, make the choice between buying food or medicine or worry about somebody breaking into their mailbox and stealing their social security check.

Instead, if your characters are worried about fitting in, finding themselves, not feeling inferior to some person or group of people that they have to interact with on a regular basis, fear of the future, their ability to 'save the future,' ability to meet the demands placed on them by members of an older/wiser/more powerful generation, first loves, or physical/psychological/supernatural changes that may accompany puberty and/or transition into adulthood, then you may be writing YA.

I've always thought of Flowers for Algernon as YA even though the main character is not a teen because the MC deals with these issues. On the other hand, I consider The Alchemist an adult novel even though the MC is described as a boy because it's an adventure story that culminates in the character's personal gain and the attainment of entrepreneurial knowledge rather than attainment of knowledge about the boy's self or the future . . . and because the boy's first love is treated flippantly.
SitDownandWrite
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-15-2010 at 05:14 PM

The lines between YA and Adult books continue to blur I think. It used to be that YA was less than 60k, but now I've seen them from 50 - 100+.

As far as content goes, I'm convinced that the main difference is explicit sex vs implied sex. I mean, I've seen issues of sex, rape, drug use, intergalatic marriages, murder (for fun and for profit), all sorts of things and these books are being read by all age groups. My understanding is that the new age target is 15-21, but the real consumers are aged 12-30.

rschmwrite
JulNo Writer

Mood: Content & Excited
JulNoWriMo Title: World of Prey

[*] posted on 7-25-2010 at 03:39 PM

13-35 is who actually find themselves reading YA... even older, some younger... young adult should be renamed "Reader Friendly"

Visit Avatars, Signatures, Banners, Oh My! to request Anything you Want.

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]