JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: [Subforum: Horror / Thriller] Thriller writers?
Xort83
JulNo Member

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:06 PM
Thriller writers?

I've only ever written fantasy before, but I absolutely love thrillers.and plan on writing one for JulNo. I don't quite have a plot yet, but I've got about a month to plan, so I'm not too worried.

Any other thriller authors/fans here?
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 05:26 AM

I adore thrillers. Especially psychological thrillers. ♡

I've written a couple, but I won't be writing one for JulNo. I feel certain genres are best to write in specific seasons, and a thriller feels more like autumn-winter writing to me. I find it impossible to concentrate on them when it's warm outside.

~ ♥ ~
Xort83
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 01:19 PM

I just find it difficult to concentrate in the heat period. Thank God for air conditioning. As of right now, I only have a very, very vague idea for a plot, but I plan out going with the phase outline and seeing if I like it. I've got a whole month to get the outline done, and then it just comes down to following the plan. :D

And I agree with thrillers being cold=weather plots. I'll always go to book stores in the summer, and most everything I buy is a thriller of some sort. Then, I don't read any of them until autumn, where I can get all cozy in my bed and completely lose myself in the story.
chomsky-rabbit
JulNo Member

Mood: should be working? XD
JulNoWriMo Title: Sep Sansine Kant

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 03:33 PM

I love thrillers :D. I also believe thrillers are for the colder seasons such as autumn and winter but where I live, it is freezing cold and I don't think I'll have problem writing about my spy/assassin story :D

I just have the rough outlines but here it should look like this: It will take place in Toronto. The Twins Corporation is one of the most powerful organizations in North America. While its building consists mostly of a shopping mall, the main floors are occupied by constables and workers trying to assess the supremacy of the Twins Corporation. It looks harmless like this but as always there's a darker side to prestige. There are ten floors underground, hidden from any humans that aren't scientists or guinea pigs, or spies or assassins. The Twins leading the organization are the tutors or Celio whose father died during a mission, fifteen years ago. His main occupation is playing video games with Yci, one of the twins, or killing for his foster parents. His whole perception of the world fathered when he meets Thom, a college student that looks harmless but once again, the truth is otherwise. Thom is an assassin from the Xecros Company, enemy of the Twins. They meet, they clash and they discover another face of their respective owners.

thebluedinosaur
Experienced JulNo'er

JulNoWriMo Title: Spark

[*] posted on 6-13-2010 at 01:12 AM

Reading all these posts makes me REALLY want to write a thriller taking place in summer...

I'm doing a horror novel that takes place over one weekend in the middle of summer. I suppose it could be slightly thriller-ish (agh, now I've got the Thriller dance stuck in my head. NO!)...

Basically, my plot is:

Four teenagers are taking a drive to a church retreat. They have names, but they're not important; all you need to know is that it's two girls, two guys, and their parents are completely fine with them going on the trip. They're not the type to get into sexual situations. And I mean, they actually aren't. It's not just what their parents think.

Anyway. They're driving, and slowly, the tension (anger tension, that is) begins to rise; the two girls are constantly fighting, and they're running out of water. They're driving through deserts and farms, and they're nearly out of money (they should have planned ahead, I know), and it's sweltering hot. And they all start going crazy, little by little.

And then (spoiler?), about halfway through the novel, they get to this "church retreat". Because, hey, the Church of Satan is still a church.

Whoo. I'm excited!

RedAngel19
JulNo Member

Mood: blah
JulNoWriMo Title: Applegate

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 10:39 AM

I wrote a story a long time ago but as anyone can say when your only 10 it never comes out like you want it to. Plus it was only like 10 pages written out by hand. I've always wanted to redo it into something great so now I am going to try. Since my fanfiction idea's have dried up.

It's about a young adult, first year in college, who inherits a ranch from her crazy aunt. Good portion of the women in her family tend to run crazy. So she head off to this abandon ranch with some friends over the summer. During which they come to realize it's haunted and begin to investigate what really happened at the house all those years ago. Turns out the haunted house doesn't want to be known. Likes to keep the place to itself.

Blood baths, police investigations, asylums, crazy family, friends and spirits. Hopefully it turns out well.
DennisJernberg
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos Angel Spanner, Book 2

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 12:58 AM

Yes, I'm writing thrillers. I still have to finish one, and I'm going to finish it during JulNo. This would be my troublesome '07 NaNo, Bad Company. I came up with the subtitle just in time for (my failed movie adaptation in) Script Frenzy: "A Corporate Terror Story". I might actually have not much more of it left to write, just some plotlines to be added, and then it'll finally be ready to edit! This is, of course, the book in which I put two incestuous sisters in the position of having to save America from a mercenary corporation (their uncles', of course) that invades America to reverse the 2008 election.

It has a sequel, of course. It's called Black Science, and it pits a psychologist against her evil ex-husband, one of the "Dictel brothers" and an ex-MKULTRA man who intends to unleash his new mind control device on an unsuspecting population. It takes place last year, between Charles Darwin's 200th birthday and the 150th anniversary of On the Origin of Species. I haven't gotten the plot worked out, but I'll have to soon.

As you can tell, these thrillers are political. But I'm adding some horror twists, and other interesting stuff besides.

New Spanner installments now posted daily!
Hear me rock at 50/90!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dennis_jernberg
Project Blog: Spanner's World
Quo Vadis
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: graduated!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Bullihan

Word Count: 178767 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-19-2010 at 02:56 AM

I have never written one before and only yesterday evening, while watching a drama, I came up for a good idea for a thriller. I figured, since I will be having a lot of time during JulNo, that I could try to write it as well.

It's called 'Flight Number 001' and is about the very first flight of a plane called 'Athena'. They take off in Brussels and the destination is China.
As soon as the plane takes off, one of the passengers on board discovers a dead body in the lavatory. That person warns the crew and they have to find the murderer before the plane reaches the ground and before the murderer strikes again. They have twelve hours to complete this mission. Big question is, of course: will they succeed?

I don't really know the details yet, because I came up with this idea in less than five minutes. My characters need to be created, the murder needs investigation on how, why, when,...

JulNo '10: 50,043 words on Diamond Valley
JulNo '11: 236,903 words on The King's Licence
JulNo '12: 32,759 words on Fortune Cookies | 68,126 words on Heaven's Quest
JulNo '13: 106,901 words on Survival of the Fittest
Julno '14: 95,503 words on Bullihan
Scriptori
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 12:20 PM

I am a thriller fanatic-- especially when it comes to psychological thrillers-- but I've never written one. I've played around with them a couple of times, but my plots always fell through. :P

I'm hoping to maybe possibly incoporate at least SOME thriller aspect to my Julnowrimo this year. I'm just missing a plot. :rolleyes:
Wednes
JulNo Member

Mood: Surly
JulNoWriMo Title: Dread

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 05:33 PM

I totally agree about cool weather being perfect for thrillers. I'm also a fan of the psychological thriller genre. I prefer thrillers to mysteries, I think. Mysteries make me want to look ahead to see "whodunit." But with a thriller, I want to enjoy every second of suspense.

FREE scary audiobook podcasts:
http://wednesdayleefriday.com/podcast.php
trilli
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: The Dirt

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 10:00 PM
thrillers / horror

Hi there. Yeah, I love thrillers. Horror especially. This year I'm switching over to science fiction romance. But my novel Zombie Slayer is available on createspace. I think the best thing about horror novels is the unexpected.

Trilli

Trilli

Write here. Write now. Write on.
cure4thecommon
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: ECHELON

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 06:03 PM

I wouldn't call mine a full out thriller, but it does have some thriller and horror elements. As well as romance and action-adventure.
But I do love reading thrillers. I love the high energy and fast pace of it all.

My story is about a girl who accidentally hits a werewolf with her car. Upon investigating what it is she has hit, the werewolf, scared and in pain, claws her before dying. Not long after, the girl goes missing and her friends, as well the police, begin a search. But they aren't the only ones searching. A succubus is also searching for her beloved werewolves, after all, she created them. There are a lot of trials and tribulations being a brand new werewolf, especially one on the run.
The question is, who will find her, and her new werewolf kin, first?

[Edited on 7-1-2010 by cure4thecommon]

Psymin1
JulNo Member

Mood: Relieved, but still nervous.
JulNoWriMo Title: UNTITLED

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 12:47 AM

Mine is probably going to end up more of a thriller than a horror novel, which I never expected. I love the horror genre, and enjoy splatterpunk, which my novel is already showing signs of, lol. I'm having a blast after day one! Hopefully this keeps up.

"Disappear here."
-Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis
Azure-Quill
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Paranoia & Post It Notes

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 07:09 AM

I think my novel fits best here.

A guy wakes up in an attic, confronted with a post it note claiming that his name is Stein Ross. He conveniently can't remember anything, so he's going completely on the words of the post it notes he finds and the hand that wrote them. Meanwhile, he's being stalked by a poltergeist and the outside in the town people are rising from the dead.

So horror, I guess? It's fun but I have only the vaguest notion of plot here.
thejustkat
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:12 PM

I switched away from my fantasy sequel about a week ago because I wasn't remotely ready for it. What did I replace it with? A thriller I'd done NO planning for. O.o But this thriller is based on a real life situation that involved me tangentially so that I am familiar with a lot of the details. The part that's significantly different from reality is the ending.

This guy preys on the compassion of woman after woman and gets tossed out by them in periods of time based on the woman's strength of the character (among other things, such as their ideas of how they should be treated, and their knowledge of the ways of manipulating that psychopaths use)... finally he finds his "perfect victim".... she knows that she shouldn't let him treat her that way, she has people telling her outright that his words and behavior are classic attempts to isolate and control her, and she's a therapist and ought to know better... but slowly things get worse and worse, devolve into violence. The cops are no help... our bad-guy is sweet as sugar whenever the law is around, and lies so well he makes our heroine look like the bad guy. Finally something happens to get him out of the house and she begins to warily think that she may finally be safe when he breaks into her house in the night and attacks her in her bed. Little does he know, she's now got a gun under her pillow, and she shoots him dead.

Most of the above is 100% true and even worse than I made it sound. But the guy is still at liberty and I am not, by writing this, actually wishing him dead. His karma is not in my hands.
BregoBeauty
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: FATAL TARGET: A J. Carter & Associates Novel

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 09:07 PM

Thejustkat, good luck with your story. It sounds very interesting and I'm sorry that it's true. I went through something similar and unfortunately the guy I know is still alive too -- and living with my sister. Gotta love sociopaths. Not.

Mine is definately a thriller. A criminal justice student has to complete a re-investigation for a class final. She chooses an infamous crime in her hometown--an arson-homicide that killed an entire family. Her investigation tips off the wrong people.

The only witness to the murders (the suspect confessed and died in jail) is now married to one of the richest men in the entire state. When Kat goes to interview her, she gets brushed off with a warning to drop the case. When she goes to re-interview the witness, they're both attacked and Kat is the one left behind. Except she's in more danger than ever before--by a group of people that will kill to cover up a decades' old triple murder.

Take a chance, save a life... welcome to J. Carter & Associates.

JulNoWriMo '12 -- "Fatal Targt"
JulNoWriMo '11 -- "Double Shot"
JulNoWriMo '10 -- "Sole Survivor"
JulNoWriMo '09 -- "Coldest Degree"
JulNoWriMo '08 -- "Breaking Point"
thejustkat
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 09:20 PM

Oh gosh, sorry to hear that this loser isn't out of your life. Unfortunately the bad guy in my story isn't out of my heroine's life either, but he's at least somewhat removed from it, which is a step in the right direction. When he was at my house, my husband and I had a zero tolerance policy for his pack of bad behaviors, so he didn't stay long. The gal who became my heroine... well frankly I do feel a little bit of guilt for passing this guy onto her (she could have refused, of course) but I'm not responsible for the way she let him treat her... and like my heroine she had a gazillion reasons to know better AND friends telling her so! It made me angry and sad and scared for her all at once. So maybe writing this is therapy for me... in my book she'll stand up to him like she never effing would in real life.

Your story sounds like classic thriller goodness. :D

Oh lord, only three weeks of planning? This should be interesting... o_0
DennisJernberg
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Chaos Angel Spanner, Book 2

[*] posted on 7-17-2010 at 05:30 AM

I changed my mind. Actually, my muse changed it. I'm not doing Bad Company and Black Science this JulNo anymore. Those are just prequels. I've just returned to my original project, Spanner, about a revolution in the near future. This is the story (which I started planning in 1992 as a manga series) which got me writing not just cyberpunk but political thrillers. It's also turning out to be the best story I've ever written, and I've been writing since, well, 1992. It may end up being the first thing I get published.

New Spanner installments now posted daily!
Hear me rock at 50/90!
Twitter: http://twitter.com/dennis_jernberg
Project Blog: Spanner's World

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]