Author: Subject: [Subforum: Young Adult] Young Adult
Reizna
JulNo Writer

Mood: Disappointed
JulNoWriMo Title: Fallen Sun

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 11:53 PM

Scott Westerfeld and J. K. Rowling are two of the many YA authors I love to read. Sadly, I can't think of the rest. I'll post again when I remember.

My JulNo's definitely YA/Fantasy. It's about a girl who gets swept into the Renaissance-like era of her country and tries to get home, but gets dragged into the problems of the past. She has to make a decision: help them and change the future even further or not help them to keep the future the way it is, but then watch them die in front of her.

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by Reizna]

[Edited on 6-29-2010 by Reizna]
Floatingtiger
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Dreams and Shadows.

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 12:07 PM

I like, Tamora Pierce the best. I read "Alanna; The First Adventure." when I was in fifth grade and was hooked. I just finished "Beautiful Creatures." by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl and that was really good too.

My story is a modern fantasy about a young woman who finds herself in a bit of a predicament.
_twilight_star_
JulNo Member

Mood: wondering just how I'm going to write my novel when I have no idea how it's going to end up. Yay for surprises!
JulNoWriMo Title: Disenchanted

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 10:53 PM

I love Megan McCafferty and JK Rowling. The Jessica Darling series is one of my favorites.

Mine is going to be a high school novel about a cheerleader. Cheerleaders tend to have some nasty stereotypes (or at least at my school) and I want to show this character struggling with those stereotypes and trying to break through them. I'm not even sure what her name is going to be or how the story is going to progress, but Il like winging stories :P

Melanctha
JulNo Member

Mood: done!!!!!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Insect Dialogues

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 09:07 PM

I just today decided to do JulNo. (I've done NaNo successfully the past two years.) I have not in the past written YA, but a friend of mine who is a several times published novelist suggested I try the genre after she read a short story I wrote some time ago that, while not strictly speaking YA, has something of the feel of YA. All I have right now is a character's name and a feeling...and two non-human characters that haven't quite revealed themselves yet. I guess I'll see what happens!
Kaywinnet
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 11:19 PM

Anyone else a fan of Diana Wynne Jones and Robin McKinley? I LOVE them. Oh, and Cornelia Funke...I love "The Thief Lord."

The book that I'll be writing for Julno will be my first foray into YA!
Chelserbug
JulNo Member

Mood: ecstatic yet nervous :D So much writing!

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 08:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JSBulldog89  
For those writing in the young adult genre, talk about your writing here and share ideas with others. :)

Young Adult has always been my choice of genre to write in (usually), and is also what I enjoy reading the most.

Who are your favorite young adult authors?

What will you be writing about this year?

For me, John Green, Chris Crutcher, and Robert Cormier are just a handful of my favorite YA authors. I haven't been reading as much lately, mostly due to lack of time, but I'm always looking for new suggestions of books to read!

[Edited on 5-25-2010 by JSBulldog89]

[Edited on 5-25-2010 by JSBulldog89]

Oh my goodness! I love John Green! Paper Towns is pretty much my all-time favorite book.
I'm also a fan of Cassandra Clare, Maria V Snyder, and Meg Cabot (off the top of my head)
I'm too disoriented to think up anyone else haha.
Mysty
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: I Heard It On The Radio

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 03:04 PM

As always, the novel I'm writing is a mix of YA and GLBTQ. It's about a teenage boy whose mother is a popular radio DJ in the area, and she likes to talk about her family on-air. She finds out he's gay and feels the need to tell the world (or at least the tri-city area). That's the only concrete plot I have right now XD
summersun651
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 03:58 PM

Favorite Young Adults Authors? I think I'd have to say Richelle Mead and Melissa Marr.
The novel I'm writing is about a girl knowing she's gonna die before it happens and learning some secrets that don;t make her ast day's any easier.

pathera
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Divine Selection

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 01:15 PM

I second everyone who's already mentioned Tamora Pierce. I read Wild Magic first and couldn't get enough of it. Currently I'm in the process of rereading Harry Potter, and I remember why I love it so much, haha.

I've never written YA before, and I'm not even sure that what I am writing falls into the catagory. I'm kind of straddling the line between it being YA fantasy and being fantasy without the attached YA. The characters are on the young side--late teens, early twenties most of them--but some of the details and plots might have to be toned down a little and I'm not sure if I want to do that.
austenite
JulNo Member

Mood: Jumpy - in a dancing way!!
JulNoWriMo Title: The Fall

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 04:00 PM

Tamora Pierce is wicked awesome. She was my first YA author! Others now include Cassandra Clare, Libba Bray, Richelle Mead and Melissa Marr.

My YA is about a 17 year old girl who was left blind years ago in a car crash, and is about to attend high school for the first time. She's been put under the wing of Sam Bridges, who's looking for extra credit to go towards his university application, but both of them don't realize that they are falling in love.
TakuyaKenzo
JulNo Writer

Mood: Demotivated and depressed
JulNoWriMo Title: Cross of Gray

[*] posted on 7-3-2010 at 04:19 PM

J K Rowling and C Paolini (if the last one can be considered a YA author, I would). Both author's books astonish me with the amount of work done behind - firstly the evolving of the MC, then the houses, point system, subjects, spells (HP) and ancient languages, interesting names, the map of Alagaesia etc (The Inheritance). I like to have a pile of notes including names, sometimes selfcreated words, connections between factors etc before writing the story.

My YA could be called an autobiography - with some modifications and amplifications. The summary would be something like this:
Tiina is just a person in the gray mass they call the students. The same could be said about her position in the city, in the country and in the world. But she's trying to break out from it. She tries to be different, let the world know her name and her talents. It's not easy for a 15-years-old, still she gives it everything. This is a small fragment of her colorful life that doesn't acknowledge the color gray.

"Close your eyes and pretend it's all a bad dream." "Then write it down!"
wildheart90
JulNo Member

Mood: Writing, writing, writing *explodes*
JulNoWriMo Title: Riley Reinvented/ Haven

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 01:48 AM

My story is becoming so much more than I thought it would be- and in such a short amount of time! It's about a girl who falls in love with a person who is much older than her(or so she thinks) only to find out he has been sleeping with her mom. Chaos ensues...and through this entire time she gains friends and loses them, deals with her mother who almost kills herself from alcohol poisoning, finds out something that she thinks will destroy her life, and, with her life falling apart, tries to end it all. That's the gist of it. Don't want to spoil anymore of it.

Favorite authors: Michelle Rowen, Richelle Mead, Suzanne Collins...there are others but can't think of them at the moment.

Nano 09: The Rescue- win!
Julno 10: Riley Reinvented- Revising
JulNo 10:Haven- First Stages
Melanctha
JulNo Member

Mood: done!!!!!!!
JulNoWriMo Title: Insect Dialogues

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 12:11 PM

Well, gang, I am a mess. I realized yesterday that I have two novels going on...not just separate plot lines. I'm takiing two days off to figure out where I'm going...then I have to write like a bird on fire to finish.:X
Katrina S. Forest
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-9-2010 at 04:00 PM

I'm picky about authors. They have to impress me not just with an interesting story and character, but clever and quality prose. I love pretty much anything I've read by Neil Gaiman, and his stuff spans a pretty wide range of ages. J.K. Rowling, of course, is awesome. Some people count Ender's Game as YA, so I guess add Orson Scott Card to that list.

I really like Madeline L'Engle's philosophy on writing, but most of the work I've read by her has been her adult stuff, so I guess I can't made a judgement call on her YA until I've more than just Wrinkle in Time.

My current novel is a YA science fiction with a female protagonist, so I've been reading Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series for inspiration. (Completely different universe from mine, but I like reading the same genre as I'm writing.)

Wingman
JulNo Royalty

Mood: "Don't say its a fine morning or i'll shoot ya"-John Wayne
JulNoWriMo Title: The Conspiracy

[*] posted on 7-21-2010 at 03:22 AM

My favorites include but aren't limited to James Patterson,J.K. Rowling, anyone who writes X-men comic books, S.E.Hinton,Lemony Snicket, Dennis Lehane

My novel Wingman is about this... teen that was born around WWII named Fang but the thing is he as years have gone on he's stayed the same age physically. He was born into an organization that turns mutants into weapons he was one of their experiments from the day his mother had him. He was a skilled assassin by the time he was two years old and later on in the novel he learns the reality of whats going on and starts a rebellion

"Talk low Talk slow and don't say too much"-John Wayne

What ever you do don't forget to save Save
SAVE! AND I MEAN IT

Writers Creatures of the night
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]