Author: Subject: [Subforum: GLBTQ] GLBTQ
Cherri
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: Searching for words...
JulNoWriMo Title: Unsigned Letters

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 05:03 PM

Though I'm writing fan-fiction (Torchwood), the main focus of one of the two pieces is the relationship between Jack and Ianto, particularly Ianto's complete confusion over what his sexuality is classed as (because as he says, it's not really men it's just Jack) as well as Jack's omnisexuality. So I guess I'm kinda a little with you guys in here.

Also, if I change my mind completely about what I'm writing, and switch to my origional fiction which I'm planning for NaNo (which is still very likely to happen) I'll have a story based in the 1830s or 40s, with the MC as a gay young man who's trying to find his place in a world where being himself is not only illegal, but punishable by death. (According to my research, which may be wrong... I haven't double checked it yet.) That's more likely to be put off, though, as it needs more research for me to understand the time period...
lpcoolgirl
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 10:31 AM

Hi, since i'm influnced very easily, i have decided as a subplot that i would have a lesbian romance and then have conflict because one of them does something bad for the other, and that other doesn't like it, and this bad thing has a big impact of FMC. i hope it works out ;)

ohmynoti
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: involuntary archive

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 12:18 PM

i've got kind of an ambiguously queer narrator. i think he's more-or-less heterosexual, but definitely not 'straight'. a lot of the story's about him growing up as a girlyboy.
calylia
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-28-2010 at 05:07 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm new to JulNoWriMo, but I'm really happy to be here. I've been failing NaNoWriMo for as long as I can remember because November just happens to prove itself, time and time again, as a horribly busy month. July, hopefully won't be as bad.

I'll have to admit that I've been influenced by a lot of stories that I experience, but I always like to put a twist on it. So stop me if you've heard this one before.

Four (or maybe six, i'm not sure about the exact number yet) people are renting rooms in the same house. They come from different backgrounds and are otherwise unrelated. The landlady, who comes from a wealthy, well to do but conservative family, decides to sell the house, and the tenants are unhappy at being evicted, so the landlady proposes a wager. Her gender confused nephew (biological boy), who has been causing a lot of trouble in the family, will stay for the summer. If they can persuade him to settle on one gender or the other, or otherwise stablize the situation, then they'll be able to stay, free of rent, until they choose to leave otherwise.

There are rules, of course, but i haven't decided on them yet. I also decided not to do this from the PoV of the nephew, but rather from one of the tenants. Not 100% sure who yet. I don't plan on making it a horribly heavy and depressing story. I always liked the lighter, tongue-in-cheek stories more. I feel that gender is a very funny concept that society always take so seriously, and that there are plenty of things that both sides take for granted.

Looking forward to meeting and hearing from all of you :)

[Edited on 6-28-2010 by calylia]
Zombina
JulNo Writer

Mood: zomkol
JulNoWriMo Title: 12824

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 03:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ohnojulian  
Quote: Originally posted by rockets and rainbows  
While it won't be for JulNoWriMo, I do intend to write a story focusing on a group of people that fall under the Q in the GLBTQ community:

ASEXUALS. We asexuals are queer, too. ;) Romantic asexuals will appear, as will the typical aromantic asexual. I have no plot, no characters, nothing; but I'm determined to write about it. XD

So awesome!!!! I'm definitely writing about the Q and T aspect of GLBTQIAA. I'm probably going to be writing about a bunch of genderqueer anarchist punks. Maybe a pansexual polyamorous romance? :D

I'm sorry. Would someone tell me what the Qs and As are, really? Asexual doesn't have a Q in it...

Kol?
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 03:49 PM

Q is queer or questioning, and A is asexual.

~ ♥ ~
lpcoolgirl
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 08:06 PM

what's the I and other A in ohnojulian's post? :confused:

Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 07:22 AM

I is intersex and the second A stands for allies.

~ ♥ ~
Rossiter
decked out in palm trees

Mood: cursing time zones
JulNoWriMo Title: The Mysterious Affair of the Global Consequences

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 03:02 PM

Two of my main characters are gay and in a relationship, but it's only relevant to the plot in terms of them both causing huge disasters by trying to save each other from various things they did not necessarily need saving from. In a way their relationship drives half the plot, but it's not very romantic or anything because I am an extremely unromantic person.

And every other character is probably pansexual but that's not very relevant either.

fayola
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 05:05 PM

The main genre of my novel is Fantasy, but one of my main characters is gay. Most of the novel is set in a magical world, and I'm not yet sure (with an hour left to go until JulNo starts!) what their attitude to gay people is... Because in some ways, they're more advanced than our world, but I don't know whether that would affect their views on stuff like that. I suppose if they've spent more time focusing on technology and stuff, maybe they haven't really thought much about their people's equal rights, and stuff like that, so they could be very discriminative. I think I explained that really badly... xD Ah, I dunno.

TurtleWriter27
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Dragonist's Daughter

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 10:37 PM

Hi everybody!
I'm writing a lesbian romance/fantasy. This is my first JulNoWriMo (well, officially) and I'm really excited :)
nocturneequuis
JulNo Member

Mood: ok
JulNoWriMo Title: Twisted

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 02:07 PM

Twisted is a sort of romance/friendship/supernaturaly kind of story with very little plot and a lot of gooshy stuff even though the characters never really date. The main characters are:

Jun Un Baek: A boy with anger problems but a good heart was placed in foster care when his sister (his legal guardian) committed suicide and left him stranded. He hates pretentiousness and the masks that people use trying to pretend what they're not. He curses like a sailor and is irrevocably himself, no matter what someone might think. Also, can see dead people and is rather annoyed by them.

Aiden Rook: He has been in the foster system since he was born, shuffled from place to place, never finding a true family. He's a beautiful boy, which is both a blessing and a curse as when he was young it often lead to abuse but later on he learns to use his attractiveness to manipulate people. He believes everyone has to wear a mask to survive in the world.

It sounds like it should be a YA or something but it's not--it's actually a tie in for an Urban Fantasyish story so...yeah... tadah?
GlendaKP
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: The Other Side of Forever

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 03:44 PM
Historical Lesbian Novel

My novel takes place in 1886 in earthquake ravaged Charleston, SC (an actual event). Two single women, one of whom knows she loves women, meet among the devastation. She does not plan on falling in love with the woman she rescues, but fate has other plans.

Glenda Poulter
author, Welcome Home
Finalist, Golden Crown Literary Society Debut Author Award
author, Out of the Past
due out October, 2010
Mysty
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: I Heard It On The Radio

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 01:31 PM

I don't have a title for it yet, but my book is YA focusing on a guy whose mother does a couple radio shows and likes to talk about her family on-air, so he can't tell her anything. Eventually she finds him making out with his best friend (a guy, obviously) and talks about it the next day on her show. That's... really all I have for the novel as far as concrete plot :P
ReggieLithium
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 09:45 PM

^I would probably read that.

I clicked on this forum by accident instead of the fantasy one, but decided to read through. It never occurred to me that everyone here seems to define the genre by a single relationship in the story.
Most of my stories do have at least one lesbian couple (it comes from being a straight girl who's five closest friends all turned out to be gay and came out to her at different points). I just think of it as another relationship and don't make it a big deal, like calling it the genre of the story because that's just what I'm used to. When all the other high school girls were asking their friend's advice on guys, I had girls asking me about girls, and girls being very little help about guys. It's just part of life for me, so it shows up in most of my stories. I definitely tend towards gay girls though, because I've never been that close with a gay guy, and they definitely haven't influenced me that much.

So anyway...I have two (possibly a third) nano stories going on this month.

The first is the fourth book in a series. The protagonist's older sister is gay and is married. They adopted the son of their friend after she died. In the book I'm writing there will be conflict in their marriage but based on things unrelated to homophobia (which caused their past problems). In past books, the older sister was hiding her sexuality and relationship from her mother because of a homophobic father (died before the story started) who told her mother would be heartbroken if she found out about her orientation. He abused her for this. This compounded with other issues (she lost both legs in Iraq, her girlfriend breaks up with her because she won't come out to her family) pushes her over the edge and she attempts suicide. When her family finds out what happened, they are very accepting of it. The other girl's mother (her only family) was accepting from the beginning. Also in this book character who spent nine years addicted to heroin and was casually bisexual (would basically have sex with anyone at that point) is now sober. She is unsure whether or not feelings she has for another female character are real or just compensation for feeling like no one cares about her.

The second story has a protagonist who is bisexual, but she's only going to end up in a relationship with a girl if it happens that way. (this one isn't really planned)

The third story is a second attempt at an old nano where the protagonist and her older best friend (3 years older, but since the protagonist is 13 the first time they kiss its an issue) develop feelings, but due to their positions in life, the older one doesn't think it's a good idea to pursue it. The younger girl is the leader of a large group of homeless children. The older girl is also part of it, but not the leader because she is too shy and became homeless later in her life. The older girl thinks the younger will get less respect from the gang she runs if they know she's gay. So they live together for years knowing that the feelings exist but trying to ignore them. This takes place in a future dystopic America, but homosexuality has become a pretty well accepted thing overall. The people that do find out don't really care. There's more a homophobia-phobia if anything.

HeraldMage
JulNo Writer

Mood: Chpper
JulNoWriMo Title: Rusted Heat

Word Count: 2208 / 50000
Word Count Start4% Complete96% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 7-7-2010 at 10:16 PM

ReggieLithium; I agree with you, about how a single relationship doesn't essentially make it this genre. I know on the NaNo forums they have a big discussion about that, about how GLBTQ to them focus' on society and the like (or something like that; I don't really read much into it). Unless it's obviously horror or fantasy or historical or whatever, I've always referred to my stories as romances because that's basically all it is.

My novel for JulNo is kind of the first time I deal with homosexuality as an issue, particularly with the main character's parents and such, so I went ahead and put GLBTQ as the subgenre.

Okay, I probably just made myself sound stupid. It's late and I should be writing my novel, not trying to have intellectual conversation... oi...

ReggieLithium
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 7-8-2010 at 12:29 AM

I think I see what you're saying.

You defined yours as GLBTQ because sexuality is an actual conflict in the story, not just something that happens.

I feel like it's the kind of distinction that only exists because if you just classified them as romances, for example, people would complain that they weren't expecting a same-sex romance. Like if people were somehow completely accepting and open they wouldn't need it as a separate genre. They could just read the back of the book before buying it if they wanted to make sure it was a girl-guy romance.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]