Author: Subject: [Subforum: GLBTQ] GLBTQ
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-24-2010 at 09:07 PM
GLBTQ

For those writing in the GLBTQ genre, talk about your writing here and share ideas with others. :)

Phyre
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 07:59 PM

So, my fellow writers of Teh Gay. What are your projects this year? Which of your characters are on that side of the fence? Also, what roll will homophobia play in your story?

The only queer character in my story for JulNo will be my villain... and possibly a secondary character later on.

People suck. Characters don't.
Tina
Super Moderator

Mood: Ain't Lonely

Word Count: 50021 / 50000
Word Count Start100% CompleteWord Count End

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 5-30-2010 at 04:28 AM

*sets up beanbag*

I'll be writing about an exploration of modern society from the POV of a teenager who has been completely sheltered by his parents from the vulgar truths of the real world. My first main character will be questioning, and the second (along with one secondary character) will be gay.

~ ♥ ~
Phyre
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-31-2010 at 03:24 PM

*Takes out lawnchair*

Your story sounds really interesting. :3. Any romance between the characters?

Mine's in a semi-futurisic, semi-middle-age-y world. Not sure if homophobia exists there or not... probably does, since I want my villain to have gone through a lot of crap before she's all evil.

Oh, come on. Kristina and I can't be the only ones with un-straight characters. *looks around expectantly*

Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 07:51 AM

:confused: A mix of the middle ages and futuristic at once? How are you planning to make that work?

There will be some romance in mine towards the end, but in the beginning it's all driven by lust.

I live in a town with minimal entertainment for teenagers, and naturally bored teenagers leads to high teenage pregnancy rates. It's a stereotype here that all girls will drop out of school by to raise children (or will have children shortly after leaving high school) as single-mothers living off government benefits. I actually know a lot of girls who were in my classes in high school who fall under this stereotype, including a close friend who is currently expecting her first child at 17.

I'm going to use my JulNo to show this stereotypical side of teenagers. But I plan to focus on males rather than both sexes. In this stereotype we never hear much of the men, and it takes two people to make a baby, after all. Plus, I think the course of the story would be too predictable (and if not, then it would just be one huge anti-climax) if the main characters were of opposite genders.

On the surface it'll just begin with the idea of casual sex spawned merely by lust, curiosity and boredom, rather than real emotion; but later it'll develop into something deeper, maybe not going as far as "love", but there will eventually be some romantic aspects there. However, the relationship between the two main characters is just the catalyst for the story. It's more about what they learn through each other (about the world) than about the way they interact with one another.

I agree with Phyre. Please could all GLBTQ writers bravely come out of the closet? ;)

~ ♥ ~
Phyre
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-1-2010 at 03:40 PM

That was one epic summary, just putting that out there. I love when people mess around with gender role stereotypes, so bravo. It's true that it seems like when people write about teen sex/pregnancy, they almost always do so from the girl's POV - that's all I've seen, at least. So yay for you for taking a look at the other side of the coin - and doing so in a slashy way, none the less. :3.

Ah, let me clarify. It will have the social structure, military, government, clothing, and culture of the middle ages, but the technology of a future-y world.

*eyes hiding LGBTQ writers* come out, come out wherever you are...

suasoria
JulNo Writer

Mood: Black & White

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 07:47 PM

I really don't want to do anything too complicated for JulNoWriMo so I'm thinking about doing a gay romance of sorts.

I just have no idea what about. D: I'm failing at brainstorming right now.
rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 09:25 PM

While it won't be for JulNoWriMo, I do intend to write a story focusing on a group of people that fall under the Q in the GLBTQ community:

ASEXUALS. We asexuals are queer, too. ;) Romantic asexuals will appear, as will the typical aromantic asexual. I have no plot, no characters, nothing; but I'm determined to write about it. XD
soup
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 10:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rockets and rainbows  
While it won't be for JulNoWriMo, I do intend to write a story focusing on a group of people that fall under the Q in the GLBTQ community:

ASEXUALS. We asexuals are queer, too. ;) Romantic asexuals will appear, as will the typical aromantic asexual. I have no plot, no characters, nothing; but I'm determined to write about it. XD

Awesome. 8-)
Seraphyre
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: See as I See

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 10:12 AM

*waves*

I have a whole bunch of plots that I've not started writing yet that I can pick from, and several of them have gay characters in them... I just have to pick which one I want to write. :(
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 10:29 AM

Phyre,
Thank you!
Your world is definitely different, but it still sounds interesting. It could be difficult to implement if you want it to actually seem believable, so all the best with it!

Suasoria,
At least a vague idea of what you want to write is better than nothing, right? As we get closer to JulNo I'm sure things will begin to come together.

Rocket,
I like it! Once you've found out more about your story be sure to come in here and tell us. I definitely want to hear more about this novel.

Hello Seraphyre! Welcome to JulNoWriMo. :)
Luckily it's only the 5th of June. You've still got the rest of the month to decide which plot to go with. I'd say going with the one you most want to write/think about would be the best option... if you can decide which one you're most enthused about, that is! ;]

~ ♥ ~
Seraphyre
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: See as I See

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 11:27 AM

There are so many to choose from though! And I'm struggling to plan half of them, even in my head... then I have to decide whether I want it to be a real-world romance or whether I'll go with one of my fantasy plots where the romance isn't the main focus... *facepalms*At least I'll have an excuse to be sitting in my room all July - not that I don't do that anyway, but still... :P
cataterpillar
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-18-2010 at 08:40 PM

Hi, I'm totally new. I've tried NaNoWriMo a few years, and it just is not enough time for me to write a whole story. I use the impetus from these events to work on a longer story, which I'm hoping to have finished by the end of summer.

Mine has gays. I consider it fantasy, but gender is a major part of the setting. I'm trying to create what is sort of, but not quite, an un-gendered culture.
billie
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-20-2010 at 07:53 PM

Mine will contain a most-likely lesbian and a girl and they're in a relationship. The girl doesn't really identify as a lesbian so that's why I'm just calling her the girl. It's about their relationship with each other, but not really "their relationship" you know? I'm using them as a context to explore the reality of the human mind. Any way, they hang out and have sex, but they don't really have romance, and it's not really a "LGBTQ" novel about issues with the community, I just use characters who are with other girls because that's what I understand. Homophobia probably won't be in it because their relationship is really private and intimate, and like I said, it's not really about those issues.
Draggar
JulNo Writer

Mood: Enthusiastic
JulNoWriMo Title: 10 Stories, 300,000 Words

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 06:18 PM

I'm writing a modern fiction type thing focusing on two lesbian girls. In the beginning, they're kidnapped. When they escape however, they're thrust into the spotlight of the press and find themselves quite famous for their escapade. Its in this light that they must hide their newly found feelings for each other. Now not only are their old captors after them, but also the rest of the world. It's basically about the effect of fame on people and our culture's view of homosexuality with some bad guys thrown in.
annabel-in-hell
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-21-2010 at 09:51 PM

Hello! First time doing JulNo, but I've done Nano three times.

For this year's JulNo, I'm mixing together both lesbians and gay guys, which is kinda new for me. I tend to avoid writing lesbian romances since it usually ends up hitting too close to home (I don't mean to recycle my ex-girlfriends into characters, I swear! xD).

So my novel is set in eighteenth century France, and it basically involves the Navy, rebellion, scandalous affairs, betrayal, and lots of cross-dressing. Yes, you heard me right. So a woman attempts to hunt down her long lost father, and teams up with an old "friend" of his (Read: gay lover). In doing so, she accidentally gets herself tangled up in a feud that's been dormant for over twenty years. There are apparently some things about her father that she really did NOT need to know.

And that is all I really have so far. With that, I would just like to say that there are TEN DAYS TO JULNOWRIMO. I am so, so excited to be here, and I hope to see you guys around! :]
Tina
Super Moderator

JulNoWriMo Winner!

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 04:29 AM

Welcome to JulNoWriMo, cataterpillar, billie and annabel-in-hell!

cataterpillar,
When I read your post I instantly thought of the Wraeththu series by Storm Constantine. It's a post-apocalyptic sci-fi series about a race of people who are technically hermaphrodites and have an androgynous appearance. I loved the books, so hearing that you're trying to write an "un-gendered culture" sounds interesting. How're you planning to go about it?

billie,
Novels that contain homosexual relationships that aren't the main focus of the novel are definitely my favourites in terms of characterisation. But if sexuality isn't the issue in your novel, then what is? I'd like to hear more about your story if you don't mind sharing.

Draggar,
It looks like a mix of genres you have there. Sounds like it could be an exciting novel, and possibly quite fast-paced? It seems like the sort where something would be constantly happening with a lot of high tension.

annabel-in-hell,
I love the sound of your novel. However, I can't possibly pick what I think sounds the "best" about it because I like most of what it is you're choosing to deal with. Also, is there really that little time left until JulNo? Yikes! I've got a lot of planning still left to do.

~ ♥ ~
Draggar
JulNo Writer

Mood: Enthusiastic
JulNoWriMo Title: 10 Stories, 300,000 Words

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:07 PM

Kristina~ Yep. It is a big mixture, mostly because I'd rather not have the girls' relationship be so obvious. There's a house fire, a chase, a car wreck, and other things. It will be very fast-paced. It'll be perhaps ~250 pages, if my outline works out correctly.

Good luck with all your planning and your story~
Silpelit
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 05:30 PM

Hello everyone! Got some interesting story ideas in here; should be interesting to watch the plots evolve come July!

The main romantic subplot in my novel involves a gay couple, so I think I belong here! The story is about kids at a fine arts school who form an a cappella group and have to compete to keep their group...it's sort of an affectionate parody of Glee, haha. I tend to only write stuff that's really dramatic and EPIC (or attempting to be), so I'm trying to lighten up a bit this summer.
Gryfflepuffinclaw
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 01:09 AM

I'm thinking about exploring a GLBTQ character, but as it is not only my first time doing JulNo but in fact, writing a novel, and my first time exploring any romantic-issues in my text let alone GLBTQ romance, and I'm kinda new to the GLBTQ community, it may end up being scrapped quite early on (mostly due to lack of experience outside of comming to terms with it - I don't feel I'd be able to write it very well)
My genre is fantasy, so if I do include it, it would be much more of a subtext thing.
daqu
JulNo Member

Mood: Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: Superstar

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 09:11 AM

Hey everyone! This will be my fifth year doing NaNoWriMo but this is my first year doing JulNoWriMo. And my NaNo novels always have gay characters, whether they're main characters or not, so why should this be any different? Unfortunately because of the way my story works, my FMC has to be straight, but her boyfriend's "parents" are gay men. (I say "parents" because instead of adopting a kid or using a surrogate mother like normal people, they decided to kidnap a baby, which plays a big part in my story.) They're going to be so cute together, though :) They're already my favorite fiction couple ever and I haven't even started writing the story yet.

7 MORE DAYS!!!

(and btw, Silpelit, I absolutely love your avatar :P)

suasoria
JulNo Writer

Mood: Black & White

[*] posted on 6-24-2010 at 09:09 PM

My novel is a big action-filled cross-country road trip. There will be a lot of sexual tension between my two main characters (male). Still debating on if they will actually end up together or if, once they reach their final destinations (not necessarily their goal destinations... man I need to plan more haha), it's all just kind of left up in the air.

MsDuck
JulNo Member

Mood: Wide Awake
JulNoWriMo Title: Stripes

smiley01.gif posted on 6-25-2010 at 12:47 AM

*settles into chair*

While mine is technically some bizarre blend of Horror/Slice o' life the main character is gay and in a relationship from the very beginning.

P.S - Howdy, this is my first JulNo, though i've done NaNo.

Well, there went the neighborhood... and most of the zombies.
ohnojulian
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 05:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rockets and rainbows  

So awesome!!!! I'm definitely writing about the Q and T aspect of GLBTQIAA. I'm probably going to be writing about a bunch of genderqueer anarchist punks. Maybe a pansexual polyamorous romance? :D
Shayla Kersten
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Angel Moon 3/Tn Cop 5

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 03:32 PM

One of my planned stories will feature a gay romance and a cold case murder. Homophobia will play a part but not necessarily between with the two main characters. A police office is closeted because law enforcement isn't usually very accepting of gays--especially in the South. And a different officer didn't really try to solve the murder because the victim was gay.

The other planned story is a menage but the characters don't really identify as GLBTQ. It's scifi and with one race of aliens, same gender relationships are the norm (Virkolan). With the other (Angellum), it's polyamorous straight. The plot puts a male hybrid of the two races together with a Virkolan plus a human woman. This story is the third and final installment of the story I tried to write last year! LOL

Shayla Kersten
www.shaylakersten.com
Because everyone deserves a little romance
Past Lies, Ellora's Cave, 2010 NEC RWA Bean Pot Award Winner!
Icing On The Cake, Ellora's Cave,Available now!
Shrouded Angel, Ellora's Cave, Coming soon!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]