Author: Subject: [Subforum: Fantasy] Fantasy
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 5-24-2010 at 09:07 PM
Fantasy

For those writing in the fantasy genre, talk about your writing here and share ideas with others. :)

Jinie
JulNo Member

Mood: :)
JulNoWriMo Title: Moon Princess

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 10:46 PM

hi! I'm considering this because i'm a big nano addict... always write fantasy and speculative fiction but i havent decided yet for this... hmmmmmm

NaNoWriMo is life... the other months are just NaNo-prep
Arella
JulNo Member

Mood: Goin' Crazy!!!

[*] posted on 5-26-2010 at 10:24 PM

My novel is more speculative fantasy this year. It's a sci-fi/ romance/supernatural/fantasy novel. A very brief summary, to get the most basic idea, is that a 'witch' princess & a 'vampire' king end up falling in love, despite many obstacles, such as cultural differences.
The 'witch' is a powerful magician female and the 'vampire' is much like the traditional vampire of Human mythology. However, the vampire doesn't die in the sunlight; these vampires just have very, very sensitive skin and sunburn easily.
What makes my novel sci-fi is that these different individuals come from diferent planets; witches/warlocks/other magicians come from one planet, and vampires come from a different planet.
My story is still needing some fleshing out, so a lot may change by the time July 1st actually comes around! ;)
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

Mood: Motivated
JulNoWriMo Title: Three Stars

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 01:31 AM

Arella: That is perhaps one of the most intriguing plot summaries I have heard in a long time :) And congrats on the vampire traditionalness thing. And yay no sparkles :P

Imperatrix Xoco
JulNo Royalty

Mood: ecstatic and insatiate

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 02:59 PM

I dunno what I'm writing just yet for July, but it'll more likely than not be fantasy.

So, my fellow fantasy writers. What projects are you guys working on right now?

Phyre
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 5-29-2010 at 07:48 PM

Arella: Sounds really interesting; I like the blend of genres you've got going on there. The vampire/witch romance is in itself interesting, but the fact that they're from different planets really gives it a nice twist.

Mine'll be set in an alternate universe... not quite sure if it's a futuristic world or a middle ages kind of deal... probably some strange mix of the two. Protagonists will include a mediocre snake charmer, an overly ambitious artist, and a very spoiled twelve year old girl. Antagonist-wise, I'm thinking MTF tranny with family issues, magical powers, and a sidekick that's a bit too supportive.

So those are my characters. As for the plot... I've no idea. *head/desk*

People suck. Characters don't.
dawntreading
JulNo Member

Mood: excited
JulNoWriMo Title: (as of yet untitled)

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 09:28 PM

Looking around, I think my story fits best into Fantasy.
The main character is a teenage girl whose mother is schizophrenic. When the girl discovers that she can travel to a place where everything imagined by people actually exists, she tries to save her mom from insanity by destroying the hallucinations (three imagined people) that terrorize her (the mom).
I have a basic idea of what happens in the story, but I won't know the specifics until I actually start writing.
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-2-2010 at 10:41 PM

dawn: That sounds like such a legit story... *is jealous*

rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:03 PM

My novel idea I'm really excited to start writing. It's a sort of modern retelling of the Wizard of Oz.

The main character, Dorian, is...well, he's not really a bad kid, but he has a short fuse. He's lived with his mother all his life (he's the child of rape) and she's gone through a string of abusive boyfriends and step-dads, one of whom Dorian shot and killed when he started attacking his mother, when Dorian was fifteen. Now at 18, he's very protective of her, and since he's known around his town now as "that kid who killed his stepfather" he's very harsh and defensive, always bristling in self-defense.

Anyway, he gets sent to Oz and is desperate to get back home because he's scared to leave his mother alone with her newest boyfriend that Dorian isn't so sure is a good guy. He learns that he needs to go the Emerald City where a wizard lives who can send him home. On the way there he meets a scarecrow who can't remember how he came to be, an android whose primary function is to protect the person who activates it (in this case, Dorian), and a very gentle lion who can transform into a human, rejected from his pride because he can't bring himself to hunt.

Dorian is not thrilled to have these guys slowing him down on his trip down the Yellow Brick Road. He just wants to get home to his mom.
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:41 PM

Rockets: That is very very epic

I am so jealous of all of your guys' stories...

rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 08:55 PM

Aw, thank you! *blush*BLUSH*blush*

Do you have any story ideas? Or did I just miss it?
thepillsburydoughgirl
JulNo Royalty

[*] posted on 6-3-2010 at 11:56 PM

I have the one from last year I'll be continuing when I can't think of anything for this year's novel, which is more SciFi, but I haven't put a description in yet.

BKHatfield
JulNo Member

Mood: Nervous/Excited/Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: Ricochet

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 09:55 AM

Wow, there are some seriously interesting and cool ideas that you guys have had here, I can't wait to see how they turn out for you!

@Arella: I really like how you're combining the fantasy and sci-fi elements by having them from separate planets, I find that really intriguing but also very ingenious. I can imagine it will throw up even more cultural issues for them to deal with than if they were from the same one, just as the geography and climate of their planets might have an effect too. And as thepillsburydoughgirl said: yay, no sparkly vampires!!!

@Phyre: Your characters sound awesome! Especially your overly supportive villain's sidekick, for some reason I keep getting images of a lanky guy in a cheerleader's outfit waving pompoms about...O.o

@Dawn: I am beyond jealous, that is one hell of an idea.

@Rockets: I'm with pillsbury (sorry but there is only so many times I can write the whole thing out :P) on this one, your story sounds epic!!! And I like how you have a male lead instead of Dorothy and I also like his motivations for getting home.

I'm afraid I'm being somewhat cliché and boring this year, in the sense that the basic plot for my story is you typical hero's journey with a group setting out to rescue a kidnapped maiden from a nefarious fate and sadistic villain. Originally it was meant to be more historical than fantasy but after working on the outline I've come to the conclusion that it's, well...not. The group is made up of three permanent characters that don't come together until late into the first third of the story, and secondary characters that pop up and join the search for however long they last until I kill them. Which will happen a lot ;)

This story itself is more character driven than anything, focusing on how the journey affects the beliefs and prejudices of the three characters as well as challenging them to overcome those prejudices and in the case of two of the group, their inner demons. The actual “hero” is an adolescent boy that wants to be a knight and believes honour and courtly love like there's no tomorrow. His reflection is another member of the trio who is a much older disillusioned knight who has lived his entire adult life slaughtering people in the name of a cause that stopped being important hundreds of years before. In the middle of them is a young woman who is caught between duty to her country and what she really wants from her life; and just so happens to belong to the enemy country of the other two of the group. It will look to some degree at how ideals such as chivalry diminish in importance and existence in the face of reality but also how important hope, loyalty and faith are - even if you feel like it is time to give up.

It's pretty much going to be a medieval dark fantasy bordering on epic with elements of magic thrown in for good measure. I'm still working out characterisation kinks, the history of the world and sub plot adventures for them to have on the way, so hopefully I'll be ready in time even with my exams looming.

I've never done fantasy before or an event like julno, so if anyone fancies buddying up - just let me know!

PrincessxShawn
JulNo Writer

Mood: Sleeeeeepy...
JulNoWriMo Title: Babbett, Mel Mary

[*] posted on 6-9-2010 at 01:11 PM

Hello all! It's nice to meet you!

All of your ideas sound awesome! Good luck with them, I'll be rooting for you guys!

This is my first attempt at a writing month. I was going to NaNoWriMo this past year, but my friend told me about it on October 31st and it was my first year of college, including my first set of exams. So I ended up not finishing. But that's going to change for next month!!

I'm going to be working on my book that I started a while back. In a nutshell, this wizard man gets tricked by the king and now has been exiled and pretty much wizards all over the world want to kill him. He wants to go and stop the evil king, etc, but he has some moral issues, since he used to be the High Executioner. So now he's having issues because he doesn't feel that he can do anything, but he also feels bad for incidentally causing the deaths of thousands of people and for being used by the evil king.

Thats kind of a bad nutshell. Maybe. Anyways, I've been working on it before so I'd really like to get it finished by the end of the summer (finished as in all typed out, not necessarily edited and perfect, etc).

I've never written fantasy before and I'm actually not a big fantasy reader. XD But hopefully it works out. I might do some work on some of my fanfiction too that needs to be completed.

Goals for JulNoWriMo 2011:

Babbett - fantasy novel
The Murderous Misadventures of Mel Mary - murder mystery

jscholl91
JulNo Member

JulNoWriMo Title: Law of Blood

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 09:22 AM

I'm currently plotting for a fantasy novel....Only have makeshift cover art...In the past I've participated in NaNoWriMo and Script-Frenzy.

1276179165_tmp_law_of_blood.jpg - 36kB
jscholl91
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 09:25 AM

My idea is having a sword that has waited for a wielder for hundreds of years, and kills anyone who isn't the right person to have it..

Designed by thepillsburydoughgirl

http://fantasydreamer12.wordpress.com/
jscholl91
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:47 PM

Does anyone outline?

Designed by thepillsburydoughgirl

http://fantasydreamer12.wordpress.com/
syaffolee
JulNo Writer

JulNoWriMo Title: Bone Mountain

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:00 PM

I generally do outlines for my stories. I like to have a general idea of where my story is heading, especially when I'm writing under pressure. Currently I'm about halfway through my outline for Julnowrimo.

BKHatfield
JulNo Member

Mood: Nervous/Excited/Tired
JulNoWriMo Title: Ricochet

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 06:44 AM

I've done a basic one, nothing too detailed as I find I never follow the outline by the letter anyway. I don't know how wise this is for julno (its my first attempt at something like this) but I suppose all I can do is wait and see how it goes.

rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 03:54 PM

I try to outline, but when I use an outline I draw up for myself I usually wind up getting new ideas and by the time what I was working on is finished, whatever was on the outline is completely irrelevant. XD
PrincessxShawn
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 06:26 PM

I have to have detailed outlines. I feel that I got lost without them. I make a very basic outline when I get my idea, and then I sit down and pretty much write out everything that happens, minus the details and most of the dialogue. Doing that usually takes anywhere from 2-3 hours, and depending on the idea and plans, 9-12 pages of just outline. Then I write the actual thing! :)

Babbett - fantasy novel

rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 11:33 AM

So...I just changed my mind on my story. :confused:

lolol I know, I'm a flake. But anyway, it's still fantasy (with a bit of sci-fi), and once again it's a retelling of an old story. But this one isn't "The Wizard of Oz," it'll be a retelling of "Peter Pan."

Basically, it's after the Apocalypse, and some survivors set out into space to look for new planets to colonize, and they find Neverland. Everyone in Neverland - the pirates and the Indians and the fairies - is an incarnation of a man who lives there, Peter Pan (Captain Hook and his crew are Peter's self-hatred and suicidal tendencies, the Indians are Peter's more serene side, the fairies are Peter's narcissistic tendencies, you get the idea). And the colonists are concerned about how safe Neverland may or may not be, because everything down to the very weather hinges on Peter's mood, and he's not exactly a sane person.

So yeah.
PrincessxShawn
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rockets and rainbows  
Basically, it's after the Apocalypse, and some survivors set out into space to look for new planets to colonize, and they find Neverland. Everyone in Neverland - the pirates and the Indians and the fairies - is an incarnation of a man who lives there, Peter Pan (Captain Hook and his crew are Peter's self-hatred and suicidal tendencies, the Indians are Peter's more serene side, the fairies are Peter's narcissistic tendencies, you get the idea). And the colonists are concerned about how safe Neverland may or may not be, because everything down to the very weather hinges on Peter's mood, and he's not exactly a sane person.

Oooh, sounds interesting! I love the original Peter Pan, and the Disney version. I can't wait to hear more about your story! :)

Babbett - fantasy novel

rockets and rainbows
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 01:12 PM

Oh, thank you!

Also, can I just say that your icon totally makes my day? :)
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty

Mood: La Dee Dah

[*] posted on 6-14-2010 at 03:16 PM

My story is just an idea that popped up with a writing prompt I found online.

The prompt was this: "A jewel-encrusted box is found in an ancient abandoned temple. Describe the box, what is in the box, and the temple. See where it takes you."

The first idea I had for the character was a young, blind thief. I don't know why, but I LOVE the idea of a blind thief. She has this innate ability that allows her to detect magic, and even a resilience to even the strongest of magics, to a point. She finds the "Jewell-encrusted box" after being told directions by a stranger on a crowded road, in a crowded room, somewhere. Doesn't know who he is, why she needs this, or who is trying to take it from her.

After she finds the box she will be pretty much hunted down by the nefarious bad-guys who want to use whatever is inside for their own gain. Oh, and she can't open it. Physically cannot, it will not open for her. But along the way I figure she'll meet many people to help her, and many that hinder her. I think I have the mysterious stranger show up multiple times, but under different guises, etc. to help her on the way. Not quite sure how it will end.

And I definitely will not be having an outline, it's too structured that way, I want anything to be able to happen.

Anyone have any title ideas? Normally the title is the first thing I think of, but this time I'm stumped.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]