Author: Subject: Where is your place?
vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: frazzled

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

smiley13.gif posted on 6-22-2006 at 09:38 PM
Where is your place?

Do you like to sit in cafes and write? Or is it your bedroom on a bean bag chair? How about that huge playground, on the swings, the third swing in because it's closer to the water fountain? It doesn't matter where but everyone has their own special spot where they can sit down, think, and write. Where is your inspiration spot? Where do you go to get your creative juices flowing if writer's block has smacked you in the face?

:)

I actually enjoy sitting in a cafe with friends and just talking. They are all helpful and we just joke around. Eventually, one of the jokes becomes a possibility. It's fabulous. Great ideas come when I'm not entirely focused on it, I guess.Cafes rule.
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

Mood: planning? lol what\'s that?

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 09:49 PM

You totally beat me to making this thread - I was just thinking about it earlier. I like hanging around my house, but I get easily distracted and end up doing other stuff (plus after awhile I can't find a comfortable way to sit anymore). I can easily spend hours at a local Starbucks though, and I've done so at the nearest 24-hour store. I love that one because there are always people there, even at 3:00am on a Thursday morning.

I have just met you and I love you.
crasi
Experienced JulNo'er

Mood: awake

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 10:25 PM

My favorite place to write is in bed at about 1:00 am. It's quiet that time of night. I should be sleeping but my brain keeps coming up with interesting ideas which keeps me awake.
Erin
Super Moderator

Word Count: 15730 / 50000
Word Count Start31% Complete69% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 10:45 PM

I love writing in Starbucks a lot... but my favorite place ever is this little ledge by the science building on my campus. I'll take a photo tomorrow, since I'm on campus 'til Saturday. :]

http://www.erinfosterbooks.com
http://twitter.com/theoryoferin

Word Counts
Summer 2014: ???
Summer 2013: 90721 ;; Summer 2012: 141249 ;; Summer 2011: 123125 ;; Summer 2010: 179843 ;; Summer 2009: 270910 ;; Summer 2008: 143510 ;; Summer 2007: 101361 ;; Summer 2006: 232600

DFTBA
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 10:54 PM

Oooh, campus. I need to find the hours of mine so I can take advantage of the free wireless and also the air conditioning. That reminds me that I really enjoy the main lobby of the UM-D CASL building for writing. About 8,000 of my 10,000 NaNo words were written there.

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-22-2006 at 11:54 PM

I think I need to find my own little place in the world - one where I can write on my own. It's difficult. I do enjoy the library but some of the places they have are more appropriate for schoolwork instead of my own work. *sigh*

As for my own bed, I prefer reading it in than writing in it.
:P
JodiLee
JulNo Writer

Mood: Freaked out just a lot ... O.o
JulNoWriMo Title: Windygates

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 12:38 AM

I have a home office where I write. I have this little routine to break up working from working on my writing. I clean the desk off, find one of my CDs and pop it in (depending on which WiP I'm working on - I have soundtracks for almost all of them..LOL), then turn on the lamp and open my files.

If I get really blocked for whatever reason, I just go back to work on my work-stuff.

~ JodiLee ~
- - - - - - - - - -
There truly is nothing like a woman scorned... unless she's a Goddess.
Windygates - JulNo '13
JSBulldog89
JulNoWriMo Webmaster

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 04:17 PM

I just usually sit here in the computer room and write. Sometimes at night I'll write in my room. I usually don't write by hand because my my handwriting is terrible when I write fast, and I don't have a laptop to take anywhere.

Lalaith
JulNo Member

Mood: stupid plot!

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 04:35 PM

I almost always write on my bed, on my laptop, mostly because I can lock the door and shut the world out. My favorite places to write, though, are by a lake or the ocean. For some reason, large bodies of water are terrific for my inspiration. I'm going to Panama City for five days tomorrow, so hopefully I'll come back with some great new stuff for my JulNo. :)

I prefer to write by hand, but I recognize that this tends to be much less efficient, so I mostly type, unless it's, say, a character journal. It feels unnatural to type those.

Certified Word War Crack Lady.
- # of JulNo Wars: lost count.

JulNoWriMo Goals:
Week 1: 50000 / 50000
Week 2: 50000 / 50000
Week 3: 10192 / 50000
Week 4: 0 / 50000

Total for July: 110192 / 200000

Best JulNo-ism to date: \"And there was guy, and I didn\'t really Reese\'s.\"

dragonrhapsody
JulNo Writer

Mood: Workin\' hard & hardly working.

[*] posted on 6-23-2006 at 05:23 PM

I don't like to write or draw in public. For some reason I'm a magnet for people to come and ask me what I'm drawing or writing about. Drives me nuts.

I like to write in my front yard, but mostly in the house. Infront of my computer. Or in my bed with a laptop or a good old notebook {I have so many! #__#} and pen! XD

vitamin_D
Experienced JulNo'er

[*] posted on 6-24-2006 at 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dragonrhapsody
I don't like to write or draw in public. For some reason I'm a magnet for people to come and ask me what I'm drawing or writing about. Drives me nuts.

I like to write in my front yard, but mostly in the house. Infront of my computer. Or in my bed with a laptop or a good old notebook {I have so many! #__#} and pen! XD

hahahha.. i actually enjoy having people come up to me and ask questions. living in vancouver, it's a nice change for a bit. people usually mind their own business and there's half a metre of personal space for each person. :P but yeah - human contact usually fires up my imagination and it's great to use other's input. i think i might draw my creative juices from others. hahahah... I usually have to go to Davie street (our downtown gay street) with my best friend and sit at the cafes there. the people are exremely friendly and much more outgoing. i prefer it. it's a way that i can get different point of views and i can pose questions, receiving a variety of answers. I pick through those answers and find out which one fits my characters. i like it. :)

i also think that it's good to have more than one place that you can go to. if one place doesn't work or has been drained of its energy, you can go to the next place for something new. :) you sound like an interesting person that can look outside the box. i like it.
willibob3000
JulNo Writer

Mood: hopeful

[*] posted on 6-25-2006 at 05:43 PM

I usually sit on the bed and type away on my laptop. Every three weeks though I go and visit my boyfriend which is a 5 hour train journey so I often write on the train. I'd love to write outdoors but find the paper blows around too much. I am not taking my laptop to the local park with me, I'd be mugged. I also type at work on night shift. When I can drag myself away from the internet :rolleyes:
silentgoldeneyes
Let me tell you a story...

Mood: Quietly waiting....

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by crasi
My favorite place to write is in bed at about 1:00 am. It's quiet that time of night. I should be sleeping but my brain keeps coming up with interesting ideas which keeps me awake.

Haha, couldn't agree more. I think I'll have to sleep most of August after JulNo.

Ok, my fave place aside from that would be my bedroom, but if I'm writing it has to be clean (weird I know). Also, my old local library used to have these big comfy chairs over-looking a lake. Loved that.

The comfy couched at Gloria Jeans with a Creamy Hot Cocoa.

Wherever my muse may take me...

\"The truth is rarely pure and never simple. Life would be very tedious if it were either.\"

colorbird
JulNo Member

Mood: Excited

[*] posted on 6-26-2006 at 02:54 PM

I have my own desk in my computer room that's just the right height for me. That's the only place I write unless something drastic is going on.
Kassi
JulNoWriMo 05 Winner

Mood: havin' a good time

[*] posted on 6-27-2006 at 01:21 AM

For about 13 years without fail my best place for writing has been in bed, curled up with my laptop, my back against the wall at the head with a pillow behind me. I tried working at a desk but it's just too formal. My inspiration doesn't respond to formality or pomp. My spine wishes it could be different. It's in the minority. Sorry spine!

Kassi
lilac_wood
JulNo Member

Mood: Cheery

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 12:47 AM

I have a cushy dish chair in my room. When my desk is just too stiff, I'll roll my desk chair in front of the dish chair, prop my feet up, put my computer on my lap, and write away. A couple months ago, though, we redid the guest room upstairs, and it's a pretty cozy space with a lack of distracting internet connection. I might be hiding out up there to write.

My first NaNoWriMo, when I had about 15,000 words to write in two days to make it, I literally sat with my back to my bedroom door to keep it shut and keep distraction away while I wrote. (I... don't have a lock on my door. It stinks.) And that seemed to work for me. I haven't really tried writing there again. Maybe it's my panic spot.

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone... (From The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle)

My personal JulNoWriMo HQ--where you can read my JulNo as I write it

~C.W./Fenix/Steph
((Avatar created by ladytalon on LJ))
mAnat
JulNo Member

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 01:59 PM

I can write pretty much anywhere, but when I'm well and truly stuck, I go to the beach and just sit watching the kids play, or go out and play with them in the water. By the time we're driving home, the creativity is flowing again.

willibob3000
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilac_wood
with a lack of distracting internet connection. I might be hiding out up there to write.

That's what I need! Unfortunately I have wireless internet so wherever I go in the house I can connect. Even in the garden I have signal. I write best at work. The internet on the computer there is so slow that I only use it if I really need to.

Sarah

One plot, two characters and no idea what\'s going to happen!
Talula
JulNo Member

Mood: nonchalant bored

[*] posted on 6-28-2006 at 10:30 PM

I like to write outside. However, most of the time I am in my bedroom at the computer desk or lounging on the bed writing in a notebook.

I feel goofy when I sit in a restaurant and write. I feel like people are staring at me. I've never had anyone actually come up and ask me what I was writing. O.o

Be your own vision of beauty!
lilac_wood
JulNo Member

Mood: Cheery

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by willibob3000
That's what I need! Unfortunately I have wireless internet so wherever I go in the house I can connect. Even in the garden I have signal. I write best at work. The internet on the computer there is so slow that I only use it if I really need to.

I have a wireless card, but no service where I live. I'll get on at libraries or on college campus, but otherwise it's dial-up for me. Oh, so slow. But the advantage is, there is always a place where I can't get a connection.

The unicorn lived in a lilac wood, and she lived all alone... (From The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle)

My personal JulNoWriMo HQ--where you can read my JulNo as I write it

~C.W./Fenix/Steph
((Avatar created by ladytalon on LJ))
Alaria
JulNo Member

Mood: Mellow... wait, cat's just invaded privacy...

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 11:51 AM

My best place for writing is at my computer. Or on my sister's computer. Or on my laptop(when it's working... stupid thing...) in my room. I think my room would be far the best place for me to write... fewer destractions ^_^

The Dragonlady has come to comment on your thread! Run Away Screaming!

Certified Word War Crack Lady.

I am also a kitten. Fear me!

JulNoWriMo Goal:
0 / 50000
obi1sgirl
The Phantom of the Forum

[*] posted on 6-29-2006 at 12:09 PM

I might run into trouble having wireless too. Luckily it costs $6 an hour at Starbucks (my favorite hangout) to connect, and I ain't spending that much. :P

I found out my campus hours pretty much suck during the summer semester (and the library is never 24 hours - boo), so that sucks. :(

Kassi, I enjoy writing while in bed, too. Stuff just seems to come to me there. ^^;

I also have this urge to go to Cedar Point (the nearest amusement park), take my laptop/notebook, and just people watch. Maybe go on a few coasters. :D I'd have to either go by myself or someone interested in doing the same thing though, and I doubt many people would want to pay $40 just to sit around and people watch with me. ;P Season pass holders, however... :D

[Edited on 6-29-2006 by obi1sgirl]

darkmuse17
JulNo Member

Mood: quirky

[*] posted on 7-4-2006 at 12:28 PM

I have a laptop, so I just sit cross-legged on my bed, propped up with some pillows. I have a canopy bed with curtains. Usually they are tied back to the bed posts, but if I'm really getting into writing, I close them, almost as if I have my own hiding spot. The curtains are sheer and anyone can see me behind them, but it feels like I have a personal hiding spot :P
willibob3000
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-4-2006 at 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lilac_wood

I have a wireless card, but no service where I live. I'll get on at libraries or on college campus, but otherwise it's dial-up for me. Oh, so slow. But the advantage is, there is always a place where I can't get a connection.

We bought a modem for wireless connection. Great if you just want to sit anywhere in the house and play on the internet. Major distraction when I'm supposed to be writing. There's nowhere in the house that I haven't got signal. I could just unplug my little adaptor thing (very technical description Sarah!) but it doesn't really work, I know I just have to plug it back in to be able to get online :-/

Sarah

One plot, two characters and no idea what\'s going to happen!
Kalmay
JulNo Writer

[*] posted on 7-4-2006 at 04:44 PM

I use my dining room as an office and have my computer there, but I find I'm more creative when I'm lying down putting pen to paper. So that means if I write about 7 pages (both sides) then I have to type it all in. So far today I've been typing! Two and half more pages to go. I figure if I average at least 10 pages a day I'll be sure to reach a 300 page manuscript by the end of July :) Or definitely be over 50,000 words by then! Except I haven't written anything yet today too busy typing, plus making a lazy cabbage roll meal for supper and doing some dishes. Sometimes you just have to stop and catch up on things.

Right now I have 35 pages manuscript format (double-spaced with 1 inch margins) and according to my word count on MS Word I've reached the 10,000 mark. Yeah!

I like holidays, feel free to do whatever I want! :D
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]