JulNoWriMo Forums
Not logged in [Login ]
  Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11
Author: Subject: On a Great Journey with the Healer Abilorn
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:07 PM


Soon the large group had set up camp and were reclining around a small campfire. Above them, the stars twinkled like a million fireflies around the glowing full moon. Aero, being Pagan, took this as a good sign. He and Flux were leaned back against a large fallen tree trunk, his arm wrapped securely around her shoulders. Static and Helena were similarly positioned leaning against an old, gnarled tree across the fire from them.

"So," Flux said, "where are you all from?" She was addressing Har'Luth and Waelin. Aero nudged her, warning her about being too straightforward, but she winked at him. She knew what she was doing.

[Edited on 6-22-2010 by a.nicolefindley]




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:23 PM


Har'Luth perked an ear and looked at Flux. "Usually one offers information before expecting it in return."

Waelin flinched at her words and sighed. "We are not here to make enemies Lil." He turned to Flux, an apologetic expression on his face. "We hail from the capital of Ithrige. However, neither of us can return, for personal reasons."




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:32 PM


"Ithrige..." Helena murmured, "that sounds familiar." She pulled the map out of her belt, once more unraveled it, and began to scour it.

"We are from a time and place you are unfamiliar with," Flux said, "but if you must know, we come from the 23rd century. What year is it now?"

"There!" Helena exclaimed, her purple cat-eyes glinting in the firelight. "Remember? We met the old crone in Ithrige! The one who gave us the map!"

"Yes Helena," Flux said. "You have traveled a long ways, have you not?" she asked Har'Luth, determined to gain some of her trust, or at least make her less bothersome.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:39 PM


"Mmm. Years. Never had much patience keeping track of the days, much less years." She leaned back comfortably against a tree, Waelin staying close.

"I suppose we've traveled a long way. Distance means little when you must stay one step ahead of the enemy." She shrugged, letting her mind wander. Not that it mattered anyway.

Waelin rolled his eyes and covered her with his cloak. She was so much smaller then he it was obvious he felt protective of her.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:53 PM


Flux paid close attention to Waelin's protective gesture. Maybe Har'Luth wasn't as independent and strong as Flux had given her credit for. Yet she was curious, how close was their relationship.

"So, are you two... together?" she asked, unabashed, as she indicated Aero and herself. Hopefully that sort of thing existed in this time. Unless... no, she didn't want to ponder any of that.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 12:59 PM


A bit of color rushed to Waelin's face. "Ah... no. We are not 'together.'"

Har'Luth spoke up from beside him. "Waelin's like an over-protective brother, nothing more than that."

Waelin looked down at her again, an... odd sort of look on his face. Perhaps one of... sadness?




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:09 PM


Flux tried hard to contain a laugh. Tried unsuccessfully. Helena laughed similarly. The combination of Waelin's two facial expressions and Har'Luth's response was too much for them to handle straight-faced.

"I see," Flux said, regaining her composure. Her face hardened, and she cast a glance around the campfire. The three others and the turtle were all asleep. She motioned at Helena and Static, and they tried unsucessfully to wake Abilorn and Bunny, who were slumped over on either side of them. She shook Snape's shoulder, and drew no response. "So," she said, her voice lowered, "what do you think of the other three?"




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:20 PM


Waelin flushed again as they laughed.

Har'Luth tilted her head questioningly but decided to let the matter rest. "Mm. I heard a bit of their conversations as we passed. The dark one, Snape? He seems one to be cautious around. I don't think he'd ever let his guard down. Abilorn, natural leader, not quite fearless perhaps, but could stand her own I'm sure. Bunny, though," she sighed quietly. "Naive, too trusting, unable to lie for her honesty."

Waelin remained quiet, content to just watch and listen to Har'Luth speak. There were reasons he couldn't come clean about his feelings, reasons which, for her protection, had to be kept from her at all costs.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:33 PM


Flux watched Waelin's expression carefully. She recognized that expression from Aero. She decided to laugh at his situation was a bad idea, so she resorted to pondering if this was a good way to cause chaos. No, she decided. Let the poor kid be.

"I agree about Snape and Bunny, but I'm yet to be convinced of Abilorn. She appears afraid of Snape, but I'm not sure if that is being cautious or a coward," Static said.

"I'm not sure either," Flux said, "but I think that it is at least a reasonable fear. There is something strange about him. I don't trust him."




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:38 PM


"There is something strange about everybody," Waelin murmured to no one in particular.

"What do you mean by that?"

"Oh, uhm. I just mean, there's something about you that no one else knows. That they cannot know, and perhaps will never know." He flushed again, glad for once that she was blind, and muttered something about it being nothing to worry about and that she should try to get some sleep.

Once Har'Luth had settled in and was on the verge of sleep, Waelin smiled gently down at her. She was a determined girl, it was true, but it didn't take much on his part to get her to drop something he didn't want her digging into.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:49 PM


The four companions watched Har'Luth settled in to sleep while talking in quiet voices.

"He likes her," Flux whispered to Aero, quiet enough that neither Waelin nor Har'Luth could hear her. He nodded, having decuded the same.

"Aye," he replied, "but he's afraid to tell her." Flux nodded, putting her head on his shoulder and waiting for Waelin to strike up a conversation.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:51 PM


Waelin looked across at Flux and Aero, seeing them whispering to each other. He grimaced slightly before he spoke. "Listen. I know you two caught sight of something I'd much rather remain silent. But there is a reason I can't tell her." He wasn't quite certain why he was telling them this, just that he had to get it off his chest. He sighed and looked down at Har'Luth as she shifted in her sleep.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 01:57 PM


Flux frowned. Maybe Waelin wasn't as dim-witted as she had thought. Regardless, she pitied the kid, and nodded.

"We understand," she spoke for the two of them, "we won't tell anyone." Aero, Static and Helena nodded silenty.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:00 PM


He sighed gratefully, and opened his mouth to say more, but thought better of it. They didn't need to know why he couldn't tell her. But... at the same time, it would be nice for someone to know. He dropped his eyes to look at Har'Luth again, sighing quietly. Wishing he could just tell her everything and get it over with. But... Oh, what would be the point?



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:02 PM


Flux stared at Waelin for a long time, then finally spoke. "Why can't you tell her?" she asked. Helena shot her a cautioning glance, but Flux pretended not to notice.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:10 PM


He looked up from Har'Luth to look at Flux. "Well... I told you we were from Ithrige right?" He paused a moment, fiddling with his hands. "Well, I happen to be the only heir to the throne." He looked away from Flux, not making eye contact, like a child who is about to be scolded and knows it. "And... well. We were born in the same city, but we come from two different worlds. When I met her, I was selfish, confident, and... a general ass. She knows that I come from a rich background, and she knows that I ran away. But that is all."

Well. That was most of the story anyway. But not the entire reason. And Waelin was not the best liar.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:16 PM


Flux smiled at Waelin. She could tell that he was leaving something out, but it was not that hard to decipher, or at least, so she thought. "And you left behind a woman, either chosen by you or your parents? Or is it that you wouldn't be allowed to have a relationship with someone of a lower class? Or I'm completely wrong?"



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:25 PM


His face flushed. "Ah, no. Right on target actually." He chuckled quietly. "As Prince Edan, I could only marry whomever my parents chose. But as Waelin Nesst I can choose. I can make my own decisions." He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:36 PM


Flux nodded. Interesting little fix Waelin was in, she thought. But it wasn't her problem, so she decided to remember it for future reference. She glanced up at the sky. "It's getting late," she said, "it's about time we get some rest. We'll be walking all day tomorrow." They nodded and made themselves comfortable. Soon, they were all verging on sleep.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:39 PM


Waelin relaxed finally and settled in to sleep. Neither the tree nor the ground was all that comfortable, but the company well made up for it.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:51 PM


In the morning when they woke up, there was much running around as camp was picked up and breakfast was eaten. They finally got underway, with Aero, Flux, Waelin, and Har'Luth guard the front, and Static and Helena are left to stay behind with the others. They walk in silence until they escape the opressive wood, then begin to talk freely amongst themselves.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:54 PM


Har'Luth keeps the branch she had picked up the previous day by her side, though it is quite obvious she doesn't need it. Waelin walks beside her, keeping a constant eye on her should she trip. As if feeling his eyes on her she turns to him.

"Waelin, I'm not helpless."

"I know, Lil. But you know I... worry." He grimaced after a too-close-for-comfort near slip of the tongue.

"What is with you? You've been acting quite odd all day."




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 02:59 PM


Aero was about to respond, but Flux nudged him, as if to say "be quiet!". Instead, they walked along in silence, dropping back a few steps to give them some privacy.



View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
cheyenne.r.trumbo
JulNo Royalty
*****


Avatar


Posts: 1013
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Out and About
Member Is Offline

Mood: La Dee Dah

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:16 PM


Waelin sighed quietly, running his fingers through his hair once.

"What's wrong Waelin? I've never heard you like this before."

He grimaced once before just ploughing ahead with what he had to say. "That's just the thing, Lil. I'm not- that is to say, my name isn't Waelin."

"But-"

"No. Let me finish. Please." He waited a moment until she nodded. "My name is Edan."

"Not... Not Edan Riley though..."

"I'm sorry Lil." The tone of his voice said it all.

"No. My name is Har'Luth. You've lied to me all this time. All this time you were the Prince! No." She moved to trail the group instead of being at it's head. She wanted to be nowhere near Waelin or Edan. Whoever he was.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
a.nicolefindley
Experienced JulNo'er
***


Avatar


Posts: 372
Registered: 6-14-2010
Location: Williamsburg, VA
Member Is Offline

Mood: Getting the morning coffee.
JulNoWriMo Title: Cumae

Word Count: 0 / 50000
Word Count Start0% Complete100% To GoWord Count End

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 03:31 PM


Flux frowned as Har'Luth dropped back from Waelin. She shot Aero a look. "Should we help?" she said, knowing quite well that the others could hear.
"I'll talk to Har'Luth," he offered. Flux agreed, and hurried forward to talk to Waelin.




View User's Profile Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  11

  Go To Top

JulNoWriMo is maintained by Robert Watson.
[ Store | Contact Us | Facebook | Twitter | YouTube ]

Powered by XMB 1.9.11
XMB Forum Software © 2001-2012 The XMB Group
[Queries: 16] [PHP: 83.3% - SQL: 16.7%]