JulNoWriMo Forums

Out of ideas and motivation...

JSBulldog89 - 7-17-2008 at 09:16 PM

So, I'm failing at JulNo. I'm not really that far behind, I just don't have enough ideas to last another 25k. I don't have the ambition to write anymore... I'd rather be doing other fun stuff. I had the idea of writing short stories instead, but I don't know if I want to do that or not. I honestly just don't know. I'm bored with my novel.

MaeraLynnKoz - 7-17-2008 at 09:38 PM

Wow. That's something I wouldn't of thought you would say. I don't know what to tell you. Maybe taking a day away and doing all you want would help.

JSBulldog89 - 7-17-2008 at 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MaeraLynnKoz
Wow. That's something I wouldn't of thought you would say. I don't know what to tell you. Maybe taking a day away and doing all you want would help.

I've already had enough 0 writing days! Then I write like mad the next day in order to catch up, haha.

I'm really tired tonight, though. I spent half of my day visiting doctor's. Maybe I'll come up with ideas in my sleep. But now I'll be 5k behind where I wanted to be.

Reed_Bailey - 7-18-2008 at 12:43 AM

I'm right there with you...tired and unmotivated (and behind)... Hopefully the idea fairy visits soon...:P

Pliny - 7-18-2008 at 02:07 AM

Well you could always try writing something else for a while. Just whatever, a short story, random stream of conciousness...point is to keep writing. Bradbury's #1 writing tip is: write SOMETHING every day. doesn't have to be gold or logical or tie into anything, just keep writing.

thepianist2008 - 7-18-2008 at 07:01 AM

Why did you start the novel in the first place? What kept you going for the first 25k? Give us a little more info and we might be able to help you get going again.

veda - 7-19-2008 at 01:07 AM

I agree with the above to just keep writing. Write anything, as long as you're doing it. It counts for JulNo, right? I'm sure it does. It should if it doesn't. lol

lavendrin - 7-19-2008 at 08:18 AM

I found that randomly freewriting about my characters sparks interest. If there is absolutely any idea you had for the rest of the novel, you can write on it as well - just whatever comes to your head - colors, smells, feelings, objects, etc. You can do this with the last exciting scene, too - maybe there's a follow up to it, maybe something happened that you didn't know about. Once you harness your idea(s), a couple of caffeine shots help ;)

JSBulldog89 - 7-19-2008 at 03:24 PM

Thanks for the advice everybody. :) I actually think I might stick with my 25k, though. As much as I would like to win, I don't want to end up writing something that I will completely scrap later. I'll wait until I have another good idea before I continue, or else start editing what I have written so far.

As for the short story idea I had, I may write a few short stories in August. In all honesty, I'm kind of tired of locking myself in my room all summer. I just want to enjoy it.

It's still the most I've written since 2004, so I'm happy.

[Edited on 7-19-2008 by JSBulldog89]