JulNoWriMo Forums

I'm starting to hate my story

CelticxConnections - 7-25-2007 at 08:28 PM

There is really no other explanation. I simply hate what I have writen.

Its not that I want to hate it either. I loved the idea, still do infact, its just not working out at all. I have given up on the idea for a while.:crying:

Anyone else having this problem?

I'm not looking for idea's on how to get going either. I can not write this story any longer.

sylvrilyn - 7-25-2007 at 09:54 PM

I know how you're feeling. That happened with my 2005 JulNo. I got all the way to 40k and then realized that it just wasn't becoming the story it was meant to be. It was really disappointing after I put so much into it. I put it aside, and I haven't done anything with it since.

I still want to take it out again someday and work with the idea somewhat differently. I'm just letting my brain process that slowly in the back, and eventually maybe it'll come clear.

I know how hard it is to give up on something, but if you still like the idea, it sounds like you haven't given up hope. I hope after putting it aside and working on other things for a while, you'll suddenly see clearly what it would take to make you like it and want to write it again.

Good luck!

edgy - 7-26-2007 at 02:38 PM

I'm having sort of the same problem. I don't feel the plot any more, you see it was a comedy, but recent events changed my overall mood and now I want to write something dark and menacing. So much for trying to do a light hearted genre...I'm funny enough, but I guess I'm just not the personality type. :(

watercolour - 7-26-2007 at 05:52 PM

This is sad reading in this thread. :confused:

Call a paramedic! We need FRESH words in here! And some new shiny ideas! People are getting paralysed and despondent and... well never mind just hang a few bottles of 'new-shiny o-positive' and get some lines in!

There are too many frozen manuscripts in bottom drawers, or forgotten folders. Don't let your story end up with a toe-tag!

( Maybe what we need for another month is a board called 'Story Rescue' where people can try to find out what went wrong.

There must be millions of frozen stories most of which could be resuscitated given a bit of analysis and a couple of bags of fresh 'new shiny'. )
O.o

thepianist2008 - 7-28-2007 at 04:52 PM

I don't know. It's not that I hate my idea, it's just that I finished Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, and I was blown away. Yeah, I know this is my first novel, and that I should be grossly inadequate, but the feeling sucks. I'm plugging on, though, because I know what the end is, I know what the sequel is, even. And I know, that if I force myself to keep going, I'll fall back in love on Monday or something like that. At the moment though, yeah, my novel sucks. :(

bouncy_girl - 7-28-2007 at 04:57 PM

I'll agree with everyone here. There are things I really like about novel, but I know that I have a long way to go before I'm writing something that I'll be remotely happy with when it's over. I'm trying to convince myself to finish up the novel, so I get into the practice of finishing stories I start, and to see it all as a learning process. As for Deathly Hallows, I decided to read the entire HP series before I read it, so I haven't gotten to it yet. Once I finish writing, I'll have more reading time, hopefully.